Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 09:44 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,897 Likes on 4,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I went out for a short ride tonight, my first ride of the season on temps above 80 degrees. At one point I glance down and I see a solid red light on the speedo. It's the light for the security system. I pull over, shut the bike off, wait a minute, fire it up - light is still on. I feel it's safe to ride the 6 miles home, so I do. A quick check online, that light means one of the lights on the bike is malfunctioning. I determine the rear brake light is on bright even when no brake lever/pedal is pressed. More digging. I check the DTC codes, I have a B2223, which indicates the rear brake has stayed on for more than 2 minutes.

Dug into the factory service manual next, ended up at the section called "Running Lamp Diagnostics." Find the rear brake light switch by the rear master cylinder, remove a green wire - now brake light goes out. Survey says: Replace the rear brake light switch. It's about $8. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find one locally.

I literally just posted a YouTube video last week with my 30,000 mile review, and I thought "wouldn't it by ironic if something broke next week. LOL. Well, these are the kinds of problems I can deal with.

Here's my vid if anyone's interested...

https://youtu.be/-X-3UO8_BtE
Thanks for the report. First I have heard of this.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:09 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 761 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
I have not tried the 107. Been trying to find the HD Demo Day schedule but unlike years past I am not finding it.
They used to have the schedule up on the Harley website but it has been missing for the past year or 2. I got an email from a local dealer they were having the truck coming. I would suggest checking the events page at your local dealers and maybe even sign up for e-mails from them so you can be notified when a demo event is coming.

I went out for a short ride tonight, my first ride of the season on temps above 80 degrees. At one point I glance down and I see a solid red light on the speedo. It's the light for the security system. I pull over, shut the bike off, wait a minute, fire it up - light is still on. I feel it's safe to ride the 6 miles home, so I do. A quick check online, that light means one of the lights on the bike is malfunctioning. I determine the rear brake light is on bright even when no brake lever/pedal is pressed. More digging. I check the DTC codes, I have a B2223, which indicates the rear brake has stayed on for more than 2 minutes.

Dug into the factory service manual next, ended up at the section called "Running Lamp Diagnostics." Find the rear brake light switch by the rear master cylinder, remove a green wire - now brake light goes out. Survey says: Replace the rear brake light switch. It's about $8. Tomorrow I'll see if I can find one locally.

I literally just posted a YouTube video last week with my 30,000 mile review, and I thought "wouldn't it by ironic if something broke next week. LOL. Well, these are the kinds of problems I can deal with.

Here's my vid if anyone's interested...

https://youtu.be/-X-3UO8_BtE
There are a couple things it could be, easiest thing is the brake light switch. If that doesn't work you may need to check the plunger coming out of the master cylinder. Has your brake fluid been flushed every few years? I had never flushed mine and it ended up getting so gunked up the plunger wasn't fully retracting out of the master cylinder. When that plunger comes out as you let off the brake lever it pushes in the brake switch and turns off the brake light. I ended up rebuilding the master cylinder and cleaning all that gunk out, flushed the brake system. All good to go using the factory brake switch still.

The following users liked this post:
Graham UK (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 01:37 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by shodown220
They used to have the schedule up on the Harley website but it has been missing for the past year or 2. I got an email from a local dealer they were having the truck coming. I would suggest checking the events page at your local dealers and maybe even sign up for e-mails from them so you can be notified when a demo event is coming.
Glad to know I am not missing it. I had always checked the Demo Day schedule from 2013 to 2018 on the HD site. I went to ones in 2013, 2017, and 2018. Time to get to another. Will check my dealer's schedule.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:16 PM
Graham UK
Tourer
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

It's happened twice to me. First time was the rear brake light switch. The second time was the plunger for the front brake light switch.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:49 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Graham UK
It's happened twice to me. First time was the rear brake light switch. The second time was the plunger for the front brake light switch.
This is good to know. Hope to not experience it but if I do at least I will know what is going on.

The following users liked this post:
Graham UK (04-30-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:02 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by shodown220
There are a couple things it could be, easiest thing is the brake light switch. If that doesn't work you may need to check the plunger coming out of the master cylinder. Has your brake fluid been flushed every few years? I had never flushed mine and it ended up getting so gunked up the plunger wasn't fully retracting out of the master cylinder. When that plunger comes out as you let off the brake lever it pushes in the brake switch and turns off the brake light. I ended up rebuilding the master cylinder and cleaning all that gunk out, flushed the brake system. All good to go using the factory brake switch still.
I replaced the switch today, problem solved. Switch and 2 washers, $12. Despite what some are saying on YouTube, you can't swap this switch without introducing air into the line. Will the rear brake still work? Possibly, but not as well as it could. Mine was going down further than it used to. I bled mine until there was no air. Since it was wet out, I took it down the road and engaged the rear ABS about 10-15 times. Bled again and more air came out. Now the pedal was nice and firm. I think it's all good now.

Thanks for the tips. I was fortunate with this one, easy to diag, the dealer had the parts, and the install was also easy.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
Graham UK (04-30-2021), Ikelove (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 07:18 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

I replaced the switch today, problem solved. Switch and 2 washers, $12. Despite what some are saying on YouTube, you can't swap this switch without introducing air into the line. Will the rear brake still work? Possibly, but not as well as it could. Mine was going down further than it used to. I bled mine until there was no air. Since it was wet out, I took it down the road and engaged the rear ABS about 10-15 times. Bled again and more air came out. Now the pedal was nice and firm. I think it's all good now.

Thanks for the tips. I was fortunate with this one, easy to diag, the dealer had the parts, and the install was also easy.
Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.

Old 04-29-2021, 07:19 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Glad to hear the problem has been resolved.
Thanks Ike!

Old 05-02-2021, 02:41 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Had a lovely ride today. I get home and go to clean out the DK Customs catch can like I have done many times since getting it only to find the catch can gone! Somewhere on my ride today the damn thing somehow came off. So I went to order a replacement one thinking it would be $25-30. Wrong. With shipping it came out to $80!

Old 05-02-2021, 06:53 PM
Arthropraxis
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Red light came on my dash yesterday just as I was pulling out to ride to Maggie Valley. Pushed the lever forward and it went out. So mine is sticking too. Probably never had the fluid flushed. BTW, anyone have suggestions on improved brake pads? Or does anyone know the edge code of the factory pads?

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider