Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Graham UK
Tourer
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Let us know what he says.
Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I had a very pronounced *click* which I could hear and feel when hard braking.
It was a beautiful day for the 90 minute ride to the dealer today. I was concerned when I saw that the lead tech who I'd discussed the shake with wasn't there today and they seemed to have a new guy (at least, I'd not seen him before) who was very helpful and clearly knowledgeable about motorbikes in general but maybe not about Harleys in particular. So:
1) the 25,000 miles service was completed and I was pleased to see that they didn't overfill the oil, as has once happened in the past.
2) I wish I could have seen exactly how they managed it, but I'm pleased that they freed up and re-lubricated the side stand and that it is now working fine.
3) thankfully the rear brake light fault turned out to be no more than a dodgy bulb that sometimes lit and sometimes didn't; problem solved
4) a bit of fine tuning on the clutch adjustment and the gear change seems OK now; as the cable hadn't stretched for ages and then did I'm a little concerned that it may be on the way out, but all seems well for now
5) and then there's the front end shake I get under low speed front braking... When the bike was returned to me and I asked about that, it turned out that whoever wrote up the job card only put down 'shake' and hadn't put in the details I'd given about it being under slow speed front braking, so they hadn't really tackled that. The new guy suggested it might be the head bearing (although he hadn't detected any play there when he checked it during the service), or the engine mounts, or a bushing in the fork (there being that feeling of a slight click when they are pushed down), and suggested I bring it in for them to look at, which felt odd given that that's what I thought I'd just done - albeit he suggested I arrange to leave it with them for a while (for which I'd have to arrange for the bike to be collected at no small expense)! What that amounts to is that I was told about all the issues I myself had wondered about, but that the absent lead engineer had dismissed as unlikely in preference for a rotor/pad issue, which I actually find more convincing.

So, I'm really pleased with the friendly and helpful manner I encountered, and that so many minor issues were resolved, and that the bike was running really nicely going home - perhaps helped by the new plugs they put in during the service. But, I'm seriously wondering about going to get a second opinion from an independent who's not much nearer, but at least I can just about get there by bus and train if I need to leave the bike with him.

The annual official road test is due in a few weeks, so I may take the opportunity to see if the lead engineer is back and, if he is, having another conversation with him before making a decision. I like to be loyal when I give people my custom, and I don't want to compromise that unless I feel I have to.

The following users liked this post:
Ikelove (09-24-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 09:20 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,677 Likes on 2,117 Posts

just rolled 59k on the clock today, hoping have some decent fall weather to hit 60 this year. would likely be there now but last week the smoke in the air out west was so awful it was no enjoyment in riding.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,881 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
just rolled 59k on the clock today, hoping have some decent fall weather to hit 60 this year. would likely be there now but last week the smoke in the air out west was so awful it was no enjoyment in riding.
That is some impressive mileage. I will likely hit 37K by the end of Nov.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:10 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Spectacular ride today. Short vid attached if anyone's interested. Hey, question for you folks with higher miles: has anyone had to change wheel bearings? If so, at how many miles? I'm at 28K and will be replacing tires in the next 1K. I've heard some who didn't get very far with their OEM wheel bearings. Thanks.

The following 4 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
Graham UK (09-24-2020), Ikelove (09-25-2020), Mighty Joe (02-11-2021), rrhemi (10-02-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 10:41 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

That is some impressive mileage. I will likely hit 37K by the end of Nov.
since retiring have been getting a lot more riding time.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:02 PM
Graham UK
Tourer
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Spectacular ride today. Short vid attached if anyone's interested.
Thanks for sharing that video. Really enjoyed the ride. A beautiful part of your country.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:19 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member

Spectacular ride today. Short vid attached if anyone's interested. Hey, question for you folks with higher miles: has anyone had to change wheel bearings? If so, at how many miles? I'm at 28K and will be replacing tires in the next 1K. I've heard some who didn't get very far with their OEM wheel bearings. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOQxawTPIQ
always love riding thru rural farm country.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:12 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Graham UK
It was a beautiful day for the 90 minute ride to the dealer today. I was concerned when I saw that the lead tech who I'd discussed the shake with wasn't there today and they seemed to have a new guy (at least, I'd not seen him before) who was very helpful and clearly knowledgeable about motorbikes in general but maybe not about Harleys in particular. So:
1) the 25,000 miles service was completed and I was pleased to see that they didn't overfill the oil, as has once happened in the past.
2) I wish I could have seen exactly how they managed it, but I'm pleased that they freed up and re-lubricated the side stand and that it is now working fine.
3) thankfully the rear brake light fault turned out to be no more than a dodgy bulb that sometimes lit and sometimes didn't; problem solved
4) a bit of fine tuning on the clutch adjustment and the gear change seems OK now; as the cable hadn't stretched for ages and then did I'm a little concerned that it may be on the way out, but all seems well for now
5) and then there's the front end shake I get under low speed front braking... When the bike was returned to me and I asked about that, it turned out that whoever wrote up the job card only put down 'shake' and hadn't put in the details I'd given about it being under slow speed front braking, so they hadn't really tackled that. The new guy suggested it might be the head bearing (although he hadn't detected any play there when he checked it during the service), or the engine mounts, or a bushing in the fork (there being that feeling of a slight click when they are pushed down), and suggested I bring it in for them to look at, which felt odd given that that's what I thought I'd just done - albeit he suggested I arrange to leave it with them for a while (for which I'd have to arrange for the bike to be collected at no small expense)! What that amounts to is that I was told about all the issues I myself had wondered about, but that the absent lead engineer had dismissed as unlikely in preference for a rotor/pad issue, which I actually find more convincing.

So, I'm really pleased with the friendly and helpful manner I encountered, and that so many minor issues were resolved, and that the bike was running really nicely going home - perhaps helped by the new plugs they put in during the service. But, I'm seriously wondering about going to get a second opinion from an independent who's not much nearer, but at least I can just about get there by bus and train if I need to leave the bike with him.

The annual official road test is due in a few weeks, so I may take the opportunity to see if the lead engineer is back and, if he is, having another conversation with him before making a decision. I like to be loyal when I give people my custom, and I don't want to compromise that unless I feel I have to.
Thanks for the update. I would get a second opinion on this. You are not along in experiencing this phenomenon.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:37 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOQxawTPIQ
Yes, I had the wheel bearings changed at 30K service. Mine were trashed.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:08 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Yes, I had the wheel bearings changed at 30K service. Mine were trashed.
OK, thanks. I just purchased bearings for front and rear. I'm undecided if I'll tackle the bearings and tire change myself, otherwise I'll take the loose wheels & parts to an indy near me. At least with the colder weather coming it won't bother me if the bike is out of commission for a week or so.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider