Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,906 Likes on 4,011 Posts

Originally Posted by ucbruce
Keep your tender hooked up all the time. That's what it's designed for. You shouldn't be replacing batteries every 15 months...3-5 years is what I get...you may have another issue, as others have stated...something is killing/draining that battery...
Will do. From now on tender stays plugged in. Never had this battery issue with any of my previous bikes.

Talked to dealer about an hour ago. Service guy said they ran MCR (motorcycle comprehensive report) and everything checked out okay other than the battery.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:10 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Will do. From now on tender stays plugged in. Never had this battery issue with any of my previous bikes.

Talked to dealer about an hour ago. Service guy said they ran MCR (motorcycle comprehensive report) and everything checked out okay other than the battery.

still it should not drain the battery even after a couple weeks without charger. sounds like could have a parasitic draw causing the battery to discharge.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:47 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
still it should not drain the battery even after a couple weeks without charger. sounds like could have a parasitic draw causing the battery to discharge.
My bike has never gone more than 5 days without being charged so I cannot understand how a battery I installed 18 months (Throttle X) is kaput. Also, no one seems to think a motorcycle would shut down while riding it due to a lack of CCA from the battery. The only thing drawing power that did not come from the factory is my PV2 mounted on the handle bars. Anyone think a PV2 could be drawing too much power?

Old 08-29-2020, 02:17 PM
John CC
HDF Community Team
Received 871 Likes on 618 Posts

When you're running down the road the bike is running off the alternator, not the battery. Once you start the engine, the battery's heavy lifting is over. If the alternator fails, then you run off the battery until it doesn't have enough juice to fire the plugs or run the fuel system, if it's not carbed. Either way, it won't just shut off without warning. Sounds more like you have a loose connection somewhere and the weak battery is just a coincidence, It's almost like they said "all we could find was you were down a half a a quart on engine oil, so we topped it off and now it's fixed."

If the problem persists. you might try removing the PV2 and its cable.. Since it's connected to the ECM, a problem there might cause it to stall.

Oh, BTW, I'm not a fan of leaving the battery tender connected all the time, either. I've had too many batteries that died an early death while connected, and plenty that lasted a good long time without. When I sold my Triumph the battery was at least 7 years old.

Last edited by John CC; 08-29-2020 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ikelove (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 06:31 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by John CC
When you're running down the road the bike is running off the alternator, not the battery. Once you start the engine, the battery's heavy lifting is over. If the alternator fails, then you run off the battery until it doesn't have enough juice to fire the plugs or run the fuel system, if it's not carbed. Either way, it won't just shut off without warning. Sounds more like you have a loose connection somewhere and the weak battery is just a coincidence, It's almost like they said "all we could find was you were down a half a a quart on engine oil, so we topped it off and now it's fixed."

If the problem persists. you might try removing the PV2 and its cable.. Since it's connected to the ECM, a problem there might cause it to stall.

Oh, BTW, I'm not a fan of leaving the battery tender connected all the time, either. I've had too many batteries that died an early death while connected, and plenty that lasted a good long time without. When I sold my Triumph the battery was at least 7 years old.
I picked up my bike and went out for a 70 mile ride. All seems fine. I will be going out tomorrow as well. Plan on riding to work Mon also.

Graham UK (08-31-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 09:59 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks to everyone who has given me some insight into this situation. A lot of good information.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:20 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Heading out for another ride today. I really hope whatever my problem is or was has been fixed and I can back to running up the miles.

Graham UK (08-31-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:46 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Bike is hooked up to the tender. Last rode Sun and plan to ride to work on Fri. Hope my new battery lasts longer than the other ones have.

Old 09-03-2020, 02:11 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 761 Likes on 407 Posts

Finally had a chance today to ride up to the mountains and get on the blue ridge parkway for awhile. Beautiful weather although a little hot.

Ikelove (09-03-2020)
Old 09-03-2020, 03:06 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,678 Likes on 2,118 Posts

Originally Posted by shodown220
Finally had a chance today to ride up to the mountains and get on the blue ridge parkway for awhile. Beautiful weather although a little hot.

that is my dream to ride the BRP some day.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider