Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 07:26 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,897 Likes on 4,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Burkejt18
So I’ve had my 2014 FXDL for about 3 months now and I just want my bars higher. The main issue is if I want to change my risers I have to get a new headlight assembly. Besides that, does anyone know how high of a handlebar you can go with stock wires/cables? Any experience/advice whether to go with stock risers and taller bars or get fixed bars without risers (T bars)? Thanks
Great to hear from a new LR owner. Post some pics if you get the chance. As for your question, I cannot answer as I stuck with the stock bars. But plenty of LR owners have went with taller bars. Hopefully some will answer your question.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:11 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealer picking up my bike tomorrow. Service appointment Fri. Hoping the problem is nothing more than a fuse or something simple.

Old 08-27-2020, 08:19 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Ike, definitely anxious to hear what they find.

I got out yesterday for 125 miles, I took some roads I've never been on, it was great. I had my summer gear on and was actually chilly for a while, it was a cool day. I'm in denial when looking at the calendar.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:33 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Ike, definitely anxious to hear what they find.
Same here. I have been stewing over it since it happened. Very much want to know what the problem is. Owned about a dozen bikes over the last 42 years. First time I ever had a bike just shut down.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:51 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealer just called and said my battery was tested and found not to have enough cold cranking amps.

I bought the bike in May 2015. Original battery died on me and was replaced under warranty. Second battery crapped out on me and I replaced it with a Throttle X battery in March 2019. Is this normal to go through three batteries in 5 years and 3 months? Have never experienced this before with any previous motorcycle.

Even if my battery lacked the CCA would that cause it to just shut down while riding it?

Old 08-28-2020, 02:58 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Dealer just called and said my battery was tested and found not to have enough cold cranking amps.

I bought the bike in May 2015. Original battery died on me and was replaced under warranty. Second battery crapped out on me and I replaced it with a Throttle X battery in March 2019. Is this normal to go through three batteries in 5 years and 3 months? Have never experienced this before with any previous motorcycle.

Even if my battery lacked the CCA would that cause it to just shut down while riding it?
Good news in that it's an easy fix!

My '07 Sportster's original battery lasted 10 years. My '14 Low Rider had a new battery in '18 when I bought it, so the original only lasted 4. Battery life seems to be all over the map.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:36 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Good news in that it's an easy fix!

My '07 Sportster's original battery lasted 10 years. My '14 Low Rider had a new battery in '18 when I bought it, so the original only lasted 4. Battery life seems to be all over the map.
Yes, you are correct, that it is an easy fix. I should be happy. However, would your bike just shut down while you were riding due to a lack of CCA? Have never experienced such a thing nor do I know anyone who has.

You are blessed with long battery life. The new battery the dealer is installing will be the fourth in 5 years and 3 months.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Yes, you are correct, that it is an easy fix. I should be happy. However, would your bike just shut down while you were riding due to a lack of CCA? Have never experienced such a thing nor do I know anyone who has.

You are blessed with long battery life. The new battery the dealer is installing will be the fourth in 5 years and 3 months.
That is strange that it would shut down when riding. Mine is on a battery tender if I'm not out riding, all year round.

Old 08-28-2020, 03:49 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

That is strange that it would shut down when riding. Mine is on a battery tender if I'm not out riding, all year round.
When it gets too hot and I don't ride, I have generally charged the battery with my tender (Battery Tender Jr. for motorcycles) every five days during warm weather. Every 2-3 days during the winter depending on how cold it is. I wonder if I may not have been charging enough?

Old 08-28-2020, 04:05 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

The tender is designed to be on all the time, it only adds the charge needed, it doesn't constantly charge. Using a tender is one of those things people like to debate. For me, as long as it keeps working as it has, I'll keep using it anytime I'm parked at home.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider