Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 07:03 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

Harley dealer in NC will be picking the bike up Friday to do a PPI. $118 for inspection, $60 to hook up the ECU and scan (bike is supposed to have stage 1 download), $55 to pick up and bring back to the seller.

If all goes well hope to have the bike in 2 or 3 weeks.

I have one other question.

Here is a picture of the bike. From the picture it appears to have has a full V&H exhaust versus slip ons?

Old 07-13-2020, 07:50 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
Harley dealer in NC will be picking the bike up Friday to do a PPI. $118 for inspection, $60 to hook up the ECU and scan (bike is supposed to have stage 1 download), $55 to pick up and bring back to the seller.

If all goes well hope to have the bike in 2 or 3 weeks.

I have one other question.

Here is a picture of the bike. From the picture it appears to have has a full V&H exhaust versus slip ons?

Those look like Big Shots which is what I have on mine. It looks like 2 separate pipes but it's actually one interconnected unit, and a full exhaust.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:33 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
Those look like Big Shots which is what I have on mine. It looks like 2 separate pipes but it's actually one interconnected unit, and a full exhaust.
https://youtu.be/HQaHImOTr-I
What are you using to control mapping?

I assume that gets rid of the cat converter?

The bike I am looking at has the HD download which worked fine on my 2005 FXDI but i was only running slip-ons.

Last edited by SC_Compact; 07-13-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

What are you using to control mapping?

The bike I am looking at has the HD download which worked fine on my 2005 FXDI but i was only running slip-ons.
My bike came with a TTS Mastertune tuner. At first I didn't realize it had that, and I was going to buy a PowerVision from Fuelmoto. The TTS is very complex and definitely overkill for my bike. You should also check out the Fuelpak FP3.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:02 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior

My bike came with a TTS Mastertune tuner. At first I didn't realize it had that, and I was going to buy a PowerVision from Fuelmoto. The TTS is very complex and definitely overkill for my bike. You should also check out the Fuelpak FP3.
Depending how the bike runs I may. I think as long as the bike doesn't knock it should be fine?

Not sure how a tuner would work on top of the HD download?

I am not looking for every last bit of power. My 2005 FXDI had a five speed and 88 CI motor and was a fine cruiser.

My Two touring bikes had the 96 CI, One was Stage1 and one was stock and were fine even on the heavier touring frames so I think I will be more than pleased with Stage 1 103 CI.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:16 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Depending how the bike runs I may. I think as long as the bike doesn't knock it should be fine?

Not sure how a tuner would work on top of the HD download?

I am not looking for every last bit of power. My 2005 FXDI had a five speed and 88 CI motor and was a fine cruiser.

My Two touring bikes had the 96 CI, One was Stage1 and one was stock and were fine even on the heavier touring frames so I think I will be more than pleased with Stage 1 103 CI.
My understanding is you would have to have the ECM programmed back to factory default before you could use another tuner. The problem with any tune is once you change parts, it might not be optimal. With your own tuner you have more options. If it's already at Stage I and you're going to keep it as is, you should be fine.

No knocking is a good start. But there's plenty of things that can go be wrong with a bike, some minor, some costly. So a thorough inspection is good.

Old 07-14-2020, 11:03 AM
ucbruce
Tourer
Received 159 Likes on 125 Posts

V&H Big Shots Staggered...I had them on my '06 LR...great pipe. There are no cats, but a chamber connecting both pipes to equalize back pressure. If my bike didn't already have the Cobra exhaust and a suburb Stage I tune, that's what I would have put on my bike...that or the new V&H 2-into-1 Upsweep...2-into-1 gives you a little more back pressure...

Old 07-14-2020, 06:09 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,881 Likes on 4,002 Posts

The Amber Whiskey and black is stunning.

The Good
The bike was spotless. Not sure who detailed it but spotless. The mags were spotless, even the underside of the bike was spotless. Not a trace of dirt or oil.

The Bad
The tires looked like they were pretty well worn and the HD saddlebags were vinyl (garbage). I offered $10k but he wouldn't budge from $10,500 so I walked. I figured I can always call back and leave a deposit if I change my mind.

[That is consistent with the mileage on the bike. Many LR owners have previously reported getting 10K miles out of their tires. I have gotten about 14K on both my original tires and my first replacement tires. But I ride solo.

I spoke to the HD dealer in NC, about 15 miles from the first low rider I posted a picture of (same color combo 5500 miles) . They charge $118 to do a PPE. I am going to see how much they want to pick the bike up, do the PPE and bring it back.

[That is doing your due diligence. Money well spent.]

I prefer that bike with 5500 miles the V&H exhaust, full stage 1 and no ABS versus the vinyl HD Saddlebags, ABS and Firebrand slipon.

I had ABS on my 2009 Street Glide and 2009 Road king and it was horrible, especially the rear and I just don't trust HD with the ABS failures (not sure if the newer ABS on the Low Rider has improved?) .
Cannot comment on ABS as I do not have it.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:20 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I have ABS on my '14. It's kicked in a couple times. Fluid changes are absolutely required every 2 years regardless of miles. These can be done at home, but it you accidentally get air in the line (or get air in it because you swapped a caliper, etc) you have to have the dealership use the HD Digital Technician tool to cycle the ABS system and completely free any trapped air. I don't like things that I have to ay someone else to service. I've been able to do fluid changes myself so far, so no issues.

I kinda like ABS, but I understand it is super expensive if you have to replace a module, etc.

Old 07-14-2020, 07:39 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior

I have ABS on my '14. It's kicked in a couple times. Fluid changes are absolutely required every 2 years regardless of miles. These can be done at home, but it you accidentally get air in the line (or get air in it because you swapped a caliper, etc) you have to have the dealership use the HD Digital Technician tool to cycle the ABS system and completely free any trapped air. I don't like things that I have to ay someone else to service. I've been able to do fluid changes myself so far, so no issues.

I kinda like ABS, but I understand it is super expensive if you have to replace a module, etc.
I had ABS on my Street Glide and Road King. I changed the fluid myself, using a mighty vac, and would take the bike out and hit the brakes hard enough to have the ABS kick in to try and cycle the fluid.

I found the ABS on the earlier Touring Bikes (2009) the rear brake was just terrible when the ABS kicked in. You could feel it locking and releasing but extremely slowly. The fronts seemed much better.

To me the biggest issue was when the ABS failed you completely lost that brake which I find totally unacceptable. If the ABS light would come on and the ABS wouldn't work as long as the brake(s) still worked I could of accepted that. But completely losing that brake is not acceptable to me.

There are many people who never change the brake fluid on their automobiles and their brakes and ABS still work after 10 years without a change.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider