Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 06:03 PM
DMo
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Twin
Hi guys and gals, first post here on this thread. Would like to say hello and ask for guidance/advice/leads on acquiring a Low Rider as my first non FLH after 3 baggers (2003 100th RK, 2009 Ultra, and 2009 RK). Currently ride and plan to keep a BMW R1200GS wet head, but I miss the HD experience already. Don't need or want a bagger again, so the right Dyna (or possible soft tail) could fill the bill.

North FL roads are largely straight and flat, so the GS is overkill here (I don't do sand and trail riding on that 550lb bike!). But a cruiser would scratch my "slow down and smell the flowers" itch and the FXDL looks cool, and it seems you guys really like them. Specifically, here are a few things I'd like some help on. Thanks in advance for your replies and suggestions.

1. Any issues, concerns, problems unique to the Low Rider? I've read about the ignition switch issue/recall. Any others?
2. Don't plan on or need more than Stage 1 performance. Will always be solo, not heavy touring equipped or loaded. What are your thoughts on pipes, filters, tuning, etc.?
3. Best mods to look for or do first? WS?, pegs, bars, small bags?
4. Anyone have ABS? I've had it for years on BMW's, Ducati Diavel, and 2 of my FLH's. How well does it work on the Low Rider? How much more for a used bike with it?
4. Prices on pre-owned? Looking to spend between $7-9K for a nice, no stories, clean bike with less than 10K miles. Is that reasonable?
5. Anyone know of, or have one FS right now?

Thanks for your assistance and stay safe!
You got some good responses from Bluesrider and Shodown220 and I have not ridden an M8 Low Rider, but happy to share my experience, too. I have a 2016 black FXDL. I live in the Bay Area and ride year-round, both twisty roads and longer distances. I actually bought my '16 Low Rider used in December 2016 with about 5,000 miles on it, more or less stock. Now, I’m a little shy of 30,000 miles and have really made the bike my own. I’ve included a couple of photos of how it sits currently at the bottom of my post.

1. The ignition switch and the horn bracket are definitely the two most commonly discussed issues on this thread. (Knock on wood), I haven’t had to deal with either one of them. The only minor issues I’ve had to deal with are a rocker box leak (pretty common for the Twin Cams) and a bit of moisture in the gauges on hot days. I fixed the first and haven’t had an issue since, and live with the condensation in the gauges because it doesn’t show up all that often. I do feel like I’ve gone through more tires on this bike than others, but I ride fairly aggressively and year-round, so I chalk that up mostly having a lot of fun on this thing.

2. Ask 10 people about the best Stage 1 setup, get 10 different answers. I can tell you what I’m running and I’m pleased with it all. I have a Vance + Hines FP3 tuner. I took a Screamin’ Eagle Street Tuner off of it, which was garbage. The FP3 works just fine for my needs. I also run a Two Brothers Racing Comp Gen II megaphone. It’s a 2-in-1 style full exhaust system. It’s actually a little louder than I’d like, but the performance is night + day over what it felt like before. (When I bought the bike, it had a Screamin’ Eagle Nightstick slip-on on it.) Seriously opened the engine up, and combined with the FP3, felt like a new bike. I recently switched a Ness Big Sucker air intake that was falling apart too quickly for an S&S Mini Teardrop. Digging it so far, but it’s only been a couple thousand miles.

3. I really have made a lot of mods. Beyond the Stage 1 performance mods, I can say my favorites include Legend Revo-A shocks (performance + comfort), Patriot Suspension Genesis drop-in kit to stiffen up the front end and minimize the brake dive, JD Custom Fabs T-sport repop fairing (distance + comfort), Leather Pros V2 quick-detatch saddlebags (distance), 11” Lucky Dave’s Lucky 13 pullback bar (performance + comfort). LED lighting is an easy early upgrade, too. One thing I really do like about this bike as a platform is that you can take it in so many different directions.

4. My bike is an ABS version. It works pretty well. It’s been rare that it’s kicked in in a moment that didn’t warrant it. I’m in the minority here, but I’d say that the braking overall is adequate, not killer, for the way I ride, even with the dual-disc setup. I have upgraded my lines (stainless) and pads. My next big project will probably be some Galfer Wave rotors at some point in 2020.

5. Pricing—I won’t weigh in on this because in California, late model Dynas are like gold. I'm sure they're a lot cheaper in Florida.

Again, I’ve never ridden the M8. I will say, I was surprised to see Harley drop the dual-disc brake setup and go with a 2-into-2 stock exhaust. That said, people seem to dig ‘em. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:53 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,881 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Wow, that is some serious love for the Low Rider. Motivates me even more to find the right one, fast!! Currently, I'm looking at 3 bikes; first is the one I posted above, and I owe the seller a decision by Friday. It is the like new super low miles 2016 with many extras.

The second and third are the new (softail) versions with the M8 107 engine and all the updates to handling, suspension, etc. Both are 2018 models with 3K and 4K miles, both within a 6-hour ride from me and seem like great bikes from knowledgeable owners. And the price spread across all 3 is no more than $500 difference across all of them.

My favorite was the 2016 I rode last Sunday, but the attraction of the new tech, engine, (ABS on one of the 2018's) is really pulling me that way. Any and all thoughts, comparisons, ride reports on the "new LR" compared to the FXD LR would be fantastic. Thanks again for all the comments so far, keep 'em coming!
I would get the 2016 LR with all the extras. First, it is a true Dyna and not a Softail. Second, the new LRs come with a single front disc brake. Not two like the 2014-16 LRs. Third, I am not sold on the M8. Fourth, all those accessories means money you are not having to shell out.

Old 04-15-2020, 07:18 PM
SS Twin
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks DMo and Ikelov for your excellent replies. And DMo, your FXDL is outstanding. Love everything about it.

I'm pretty sure I am going with one of the two 2018's. My choice is the one loaded with accessories, options, and is almost exactly how I would have built it. I like the M8 for it's potential, the ABS of which I'm a fan and believer. It is Bonneville Salt White which I also like better than the blue 2016. Also, the tech description by Harley at the launch of the new Softail line is impressive. Lighter, better lean angles, more suspension travel, stiffer frame, security, ABS all make it attractive and it is essentially the same price as the 2016.

So, when it's done one way or another, I'll report back, post a few pics, and hope to hang here even if I'm not on the "real" Low Rider!

Thanks again for all the help and experience. Back to you all soon!

Old 04-15-2020, 07:40 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

I've ridden many of the M8 Softails and they are sweet bikes. You won't be disappointed.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:07 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,881 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Thanks DMo and Ikelov for your excellent replies. And DMo, your FXDL is outstanding. Love everything about it.

I'm pretty sure I am going with one of the two 2018's. My choice is the one loaded with accessories, options, and is almost exactly how I would have built it. I like the M8 for it's potential, the ABS of which I'm a fan and believer. It is Bonneville Salt White which I also like better than the blue 2016. Also, the tech description by Harley at the launch of the new Softail line is impressive. Lighter, better lean angles, more suspension travel, stiffer frame, security, ABS all make it attractive and it is essentially the same price as the 2016.

So, when it's done one way or another, I'll report back, post a few pics, and hope to hang here even if I'm not on the "real" Low Rider!

No matter which way you go you will end up with a great motorcycle. Looking forward to your future report and pics.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:38 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Having had both bikes, allow me to offer some input. The M8 softails are fantastic. The new softail frame is solid, making for a better handling machine. The M8 is a great power plant. Smooth and plenty of power. The single disc is fine. IMO not as good as the duals, but plenty of brake for most people. Cheap and easy upgrade is Lyndall Gold + pads. The rear brakes however, sucks and definitely needs two things. Those pads, and raising the pedal a bit helps. That’s really the only deficiency. However...

While the new softails are essentially better machines in every measurable way, in my opinion they lack the one thing that makes a Harley, a Harley. Soul. Sounds strange, but I recently bought a used 2017 Low Rider S because I sorely missed my 2016 that I traded for the softail. The moment I sat on that bike and felt that 110 Twin Cam shaking in the frame at idle, then pull away like a tractor, smoothing right out, I was “home”. I kept my 2020 Low Rider S as well, because I love it as well, but it was like having an itch I couldn’t scratch.

That said, coming from baggers and BMW’s, you may like the smooth linear nature of the M8. I say test ride them both. A couple times.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mchad; 04-16-2020 at 09:11 AM. Reason: fixed an autocorrect incorrection.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:56 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,312 Likes on 1,860 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
... it was like having an inch I couldn’t scratch.

Good luck.
"That's what she said"

The following users liked this post:
SS Twin (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 09:10 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
"That's what she said"
Gotta love autocorrect... Fixed it for her.

Last edited by Mchad; 04-16-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:16 AM
ucbruce
Tourer
Received 159 Likes on 125 Posts
Talking

Wow, that is some serious love for the Low Rider. Motivates me even more to find the right one, fast!! Currently, I'm looking at 3 bikes; first is the one I posted above, and I owe the seller a decision by Friday. It is the like new super low miles 2016 with many extras.

The second and third are the new (softail) versions with the M8 107 engine and all the updates to handling, suspension, etc. Both are 2018 models with 3K and 4K miles, both within a 6-hour ride from me and seem like great bikes from knowledgeable owners. And the price spread across all 3 is no more than $500 difference across all of them.

My favorite was the 2016 I rode last Sunday, but the attraction of the new tech, engine, (ABS on one of the 2018's) is really pulling me that way. Any and all thoughts, comparisons, ride reports on the "new LR" compared to the FXD LR would be fantastic. Thanks again for all the comments so far, keep 'em coming!
I know nothing about the new Softail LR, but given the fact that it is the newer bike with the M8 107 and prices all pretty much in line, I'd go with the 2018 with ABS...put a Stage I on that bike and you'll have a screamer....depending on what you do, people are getting sick numbers out of the M8....

Old 04-16-2020, 11:57 AM
SS Twin
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks all, locked and loaded on the 2018 FXLR this morning. Will pick it up within the next 7-10 days and definitely post pics and details.

Gotta change my signature!!

Excited for sure!

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider