Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM
Dyna100
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I need some help guys. I was moving my '14 FXDL around the garage tonight and am saying to myself, "I don't remember the handlebars this loose." I checked the torque on the risers and clamps, but it seems to be elsewhere. Handlebar bushings? I can't find anything in the service manual about free play here.

https://youtu.be/sPPS7fRzyqg
I had the same feeling while moving the bike around the garage. I also found that I frequently needed to readjust my mirrors. One day I actually broke one of my mirrors trying to get it right. Then during a long ride, in a turn, the handlebars starting moving freely back and forth. Kinda scary. I was in the middle of nowhere, but did manage to find a tire store to loan me the tools to tighten the clamp. My bars had moved rearward so slowly I never noticed it.

Last edited by Dyna100; 08-05-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old 08-06-2019, 06:12 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,881 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyna100
I had the same feeling while moving the bike around the garage. I also found that I frequently needed to readjust my mirrors. One day I actually broke one of my mirrors trying to get it right. Then during a long ride, in a turn, the handlebars starting moving freely back and forth. Kinda scary. I was in the middle of nowhere, but did manage to find a tire store to loan me the tools to tighten the clamp. My bars had moved rearward so slowly I never noticed it.
Thanks for posting this. I have had no issues with my bars in the 4+ years I have had my LR but it is something I will keep in the back of my mind.

Old 08-06-2019, 06:46 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,773 Likes on 984 Posts

I did some research on the bushings. The Sportster I had previously doesn't have riser bushings, which is probably why my hands would get tingly.

The Dyna factory bushings are rubber and eventually lose strength and wear out. There are stiffer bushings made of polyurethane which is what I just ordered. They are still supposed to dampen vibration but last much longer. There are also solid bushings which last forever but offer no dampening at all.

They don't look too difficult to install so hopefully I have them in on the weekend.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
Graham UK (08-07-2019), Ikelove (08-07-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 08:48 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,741 Likes on 3,105 Posts

Yup, nothing worse than wet bushings...

Old 08-07-2019, 09:03 AM
pab3rd
Club Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 220 Likes on 149 Posts

I did some research on the bushings. The Sportster I had previously doesn't have riser bushings, which is probably why my hands would get tingly.

The Dyna factory bushings are rubber and eventually lose strength and wear out. There are stiffer bushings made of polyurethane which is what I just ordered. They are still supposed to dampen vibration but last much longer. There are also solid bushings which last forever but offer no dampening at all.

They don't look too difficult to install so hopefully I have them in on the weekend.
Yes a easy install. I went with the solid aluminum ones. Have no problem with vibration

Old 08-07-2019, 10:28 AM
Graham UK
Tourer
Received 172 Likes on 117 Posts

Well who knew? Thanks for sharing this. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

The poly riser bushings arrived today, and it took me 30 minutes to install them, which included triple checking everything and looking up torque values. With most bikes you can loosen one bolt and remove the other which allows rotating the handlebars enough to install one pair of bushings, then do the other side. But the headlamp visor on the FXDL didn't allow this rotation, so I just removed both bolts and carefully moved the entire handlebar assembly an inch towards the (heavily padded) fuel tank.

This was about the easiest job I ever did on a Harley, short of adding air to the tires. The difference is night & day. There's barely perceptible movement in the bars in relation to the triple tree, all the slop is gone. I could squeeze the old rubber bushings together with 2 fingers, but the poly are rigid. Looking forward to a ride tomorrow.

J&P Cycles had them here in 3 days, best $17 I spent in a while.

Last edited by Bluesrider.df; 08-08-2019 at 05:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Graham UK (08-09-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Took Friday off of work because the weather was really nice. Got up early and hit the road when it was still in low 60s. Hit the IL SOS (DMV) Office to get my 2020 plate sticker. I do not use my local SOS Office because it is always too busy, so I take a nice long ride to the south and use a small one in another county. Great 35 mile ride there. No waiting. Walked right in and got it. Nice long 35 mile ride back. Hit the Great Clips and got a hair cut. No waiting. Finally, I took a nice ride to one of my favorite local eating places. A good 110 mile ride in total and got home before it was even in the high 70s.

Old 08-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Anyone see this 245 mile red 2017 Low Rider for sale?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...-10-600-a.html

That is a very good deal.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:11 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Anyone see this 245 mile red 2017 Low Rider for sale?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...-10-600-a.html

That is a very good deal.
Agreed, I can't believe it's not sold.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider