Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 09:11 PM
rednred
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Following ... Have you had the ignition recall(s) done (if your bike qualified). I had first one done (bracket) but have not had second done (full replacement, I think). I'm having similar problems and wonder if not might be related to recall stuff.

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Just heard from the dealer. I have a "electrical" issue that they are working on diagnosing. I suspected it was more than a bad battery. Started having starting issues a year ago. Took it to dealer, who checked it, and said all was good. I reminded the service manager, who knows me well, of our conversation from last April or May and he recalled it. Said it appears I have an electrical gremlin. Said they will find and fix it. Bike still under warranty.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 PM
JoshFXDL
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Just heard from the dealer. I have a "electrical" issue that they are working on diagnosing. I suspected it was more than a bad battery. Started having starting issues a year ago. Took it to dealer, who checked it, and said all was good. I reminded the service manager, who knows me well, of our conversation from last April or May and he recalled it. Said it appears I have an electrical gremlin. Said they will find and fix it. Bike still under warranty.
Sorry I don't recall, what were your symptoms?

BTW, the sun came out today and the little lady and I put some miles on, was no time for any pics though haha

Old 03-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,881 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Originally Posted by rednred
Following ... Have you had the ignition recall(s) done (if your bike qualified). I had first one done (bracket) but have not had second done (full replacement, I think). I'm having similar problems and wonder if not might be related to recall stuff.
Had it done last April or May. Full replacement. Dealer did it when I was in for my 10K service.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by JoshFXDL
Sorry I don't recall, what were your symptoms?
When I first got my LR in May 2015, it fired right up and the first push of the starter. However, by the spring of 2016, it started having starting issues. It would not start on the first attempt. I would push the starter and it would not start and it would blow a puff of smoke out of the AC. Went to deal and explained problem only to be told it must have something to do with PV2. I got that it was normal dealer BS about it is normal and was due to my tune (which I got from Fuel Moto and which the dealer installed for me).

Service manager recalled my reporting this to him last year and now agrees that there is an electrical issue.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:13 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

When I first got my LR in May 2015, it fired right up and the first push of the starter. However, by the spring of 2016, it started having starting issues. It would not start on the first attempt. I would push the starter and it would not start and it would blow a puff of smoke out of the AC. Went to deal and explained problem only to be told it must have something to do with PV2. I got that it was normal dealer BS about it is normal and was due to my tune (which I got from Fuel Moto and which the dealer installed for me).

Service manager recalled my reporting this to him last year and now agrees that there is an electrical issue.
I had the exact same problem. Had my bike in the shop 3 different times for the same issue. Ignition replaced. Nope!......two days later......no start...........replaced battery........Nope........next morning..............no start................finally Harley Corp. told dealer to just replace the entire starting system...........new starter, switches, and whatever else is involved, dealer said the bill would have been about $1800 (all under warranty).........took about a week to get the starter in.............since then everything is fine.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I had the exact same problem. Had my bike in the shop 3 different times for the same issue. Ignition replaced. Nope!......two days later......no start...........replaced battery........Nope........next morning..............no start................finally Harley Corp. told dealer to just replace the entire starting system...........new starter, switches, and whatever else is involved, dealer said the bill would have been about $1800 (all under warranty).........took about a week to get the starter in.............since then everything is fine.
When I first reported the issue, I got the same standard dealer BS about the bike is fine. Then I heard it had to do with my PV2 and the way it was tuned. I reminded him the dealership did the tune and that I had no issues for the first year. Always started right up. Now, a year later, dealer admits there is an electrical issue. I am sure I will be walking the same path you did.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:32 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

Took them 3 times, but I guess they finally got tired of trailoring my bike back to their shop. I don't have a whole lot of faith in their service department anymore because they never did really figure out the problem, they just replaced everything involved. Good luck! Keep on them, and don't let them off the hook. That's what a warranty is for!

My bike has been fine since then, and I still love it. May replace it someday, but it will be with another dyna. I've owned everything in HD's line-up, two Electra Glides, a Road King Classic, a Softail Deluxe, a Street Glide, two Sportsters, and three Dynas (two Super Glides and my Low rider. Always found myself wishing I hadn't traded my dyna because they are just more enjoyable than any other Harley. I always regret selling mine and eventually come back to them. IMHO, dynas are the BEST bikes Harley makes, and I'll stay with the dyna family from now on.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:59 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I've owned everything in HD's line-up, two Electra Glides, a Road King Classic, a Softail Deluxe, a Street Glide, two Sportsters, and three Dynas (two Super Glides and my Low rider.
Everything? I see no VRSC, XR nor Street.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:19 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by modular
Everything? I see no VRSC, XR nor Street.
Give me time!!

Old 03-11-2017, 11:54 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member

I don't have a whole lot of faith in their service department anymore because they never did really figure out the problem, they just replaced everything involved. Good luck! Keep on them, and don't let them off the hook. That's what a warranty is for!
Same here. I do not have a lot of faith in the service department at my HD dealer. First time, I explained to them what was happening, they checked the battery and said everything was good. Second time, I was told what I was experiencing was normal and due to the tune on my bike. Wondering what I will hear now.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider