Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:44 AM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
A red would be nice but I love the new purple color.
Better hurry before the artist formerly known as Prince beats you to it!

Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dh4kim
New FXDL owner here.
I love my 2014.5 FXDL but hate the clunk into 1st and 2nd gear, so I did internet search and changed oils from 3 holes to RedLine oils for specific holes. I think the RedLine primary oil is thinner than stock, so it helps separating clutch disks quicker, but still downshifting into 2nd makes loud clunk. I really hate this, but the dealer says it's normal. This is my first Harley.

Also, I hear some knocking noise when cold coming from the primary case after changing to RedLine. Is this a possibility that thinner primary oil causing some knocking noise when cold? It goes away in the first 1-2 miles. Since the improvement in clunk is minimal, I would rather get rid of this cold knocking. Which primary oil do I have to use?

Thanks and May the car drivers be away with you all the time.

Dan from MD

the clunk is the compensator and/or chain tension
it is not damaging or a sign that something is wrong
if it bothers you you can improve it with a differnet primary chain tensioner, like the Hayden unit seems to be the most popular, i went with the baker chain adjuster on my 06 and it helped the clunck and shifting alot. the reason i suggested the Hayden is because it is something you set one time and the baker is something that you have to check on and possibly adjust.

personally i think the baker is better, but you have to enjoy maintnance to switch from a automatic tensioner to a manual tension. People seem to like the Hayden and say is softens the shifting.

there are a couple aftermarket compensators out there, but i have never used one or know anyone personally that has used one

i dont think the oil would have much of an effect on the clunck

Old 08-29-2015, 12:56 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,881 Likes on 4,002 Posts

New FXDL owner here.
I love my 2014.5 FXDL but hate the clunk into 1st and 2nd gear, so I did internet search and changed oils from 3 holes to RedLine oils for specific holes. I think the RedLine primary oil is thinner than stock, so it helps separating clutch disks quicker, but still downshifting into 2nd makes loud clunk. I really hate this, but the dealer says it's normal. This is my first Harley.

Also, I hear some knocking noise when cold coming from the primary case after changing to RedLine. Is this a possibility that thinner primary oil causing some knocking noise when cold? It goes away in the first 1-2 miles. Since the improvement in clunk is minimal, I would rather get rid of this cold knocking. Which primary oil do I have to use?

Thanks and May the car drivers be away with you all the time.

Dan from MD
Good to hear from you. We always like meeting new LR owners.

Any other LR owners out there who have been looking but not yet posted?

Old 08-29-2015, 03:37 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,676 Likes on 2,116 Posts

I get a clunk shifting into first more so when cold, this is kind of the nature of a wet clutch, no harm will be caused by this.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:27 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Add a few cracks and pops to that clunk and it is what I sound like when I get out of bed in the morning. It gets a little better after I get warmed up too.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:09 PM
dh4kim
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hell hound
the clunk is the compensator and/or chain tension
it is not damaging or a sign that something is wrong
if it bothers you you can improve it with a differnet primary chain tensioner, like the Hayden unit seems to be the most popular, i went with the baker chain adjuster on my 06 and it helped the clunck and shifting alot. the reason i suggested the Hayden is because it is something you set one time and the baker is something that you have to check on and possibly adjust.

personally i think the baker is better, but you have to enjoy maintnance to switch from a automatic tensioner to a manual tension. People seem to like the Hayden and say is softens the shifting.

there are a couple aftermarket compensators out there, but i have never used one or know anyone personally that has used one

i dont think the oil would have much of an effect on the clunck
Thanks a lot for the details. I watched a couple Youtube clips and I don't quite understand how Hayden would be better than stock auto adjuster. One thing I noticed is that stock adjuster may have steps (clicks) while Hayden is continuous. Am I correct?

Also will Hayden softens and silences shifting as much as in the clip I posted? If so, I would definitely install Hayden.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:35 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default 2014 Low Rider

Thanks a lot for the details. I watched a couple Youtube clips and I don't quite understand how Hayden would be better than stock auto adjuster. One thing I noticed is that stock adjuster may have steps (clicks) while Hayden is continuous. Am I correct?

Also will Hayden softens and silences shifting as much as in the clip I posted? If so, I would definitely install Hayden.
I have never used the Hayden, but it apparently keeps constant tension on the chain, instead of "controlled slack". In a way I guess it acts as a kind of second compensader between engine and tranny. It theory it should help the clunk a lot , but like I said I have never used it.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:23 AM
fleetway
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement for Michelin Scorcher

Had a puncture on the rear tyre of my 2014 LowRider yesterday, Michelin Scorcher 31 160/70B17, I had been quite satisfied with it up to that point, but they are of course only available from HD dealers and they want £247 to replace it ! Anyone know what would be a good replacement for this tyre?

Old 08-30-2015, 04:51 AM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Have you looked at the Michelin Commander II? Over here they sell for about $200 cdn.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,676 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Originally Posted by fleetway
Had a puncture on the rear tyre of my 2014 LowRider yesterday, Michelin Scorcher 31 160/70B17, I had been quite satisfied with it up to that point, but they are of course only available from HD dealers and they want £247 to replace it ! Anyone know what would be a good replacement for this tyre?
just replaced my rear at 11k miles with a commander 2, less $ than the oem, likely just as good.

Quick Reply: 2014 Low Rider