Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:54 PM
georgia_rider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which bike

I am new to street bikes and wondering which HD would be a good first bike. Something tells me the Dyna's would be a good starting point due to the price level, size, etc.. I sat on one last weekend and it felt good. At first I was looking at a Sportster, but something tells me I would grow out of that pretty quick.

By the way all of my friends have RK's and say that is the best HD, but I dont want a big heavy touring bike. The longest ride I would take would be say from Atlanta to the Smoky Mountains, something like that. The Dyna's have the same engines as the RK just not as comfortable for the long haul I assume.

Any comments appreciated.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:08 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: which bike

Probably the best advice I could give is to go to a dealer and test drive their demos. With the rubber mount and greater HP in the new Sporty's, they are great rides, as are the Dyna's and Softails. You can generally get a Softail Standard for less money than a Dyna. But, it all comes down to your personal preference on how the bike looks, how it fits your frame and your pocketbook.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:25 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

The Roadking is a fine motorcycle, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is for everyone. The Dyna cycles are fine machines, and an adaquate choice for touring, especially one up. They are nimble, handle well and are smooth to ride. If you have tried the Dyna and liked the feel and balance, and it seemed to fit you, then don't hesitate to get it.

Just an opinion.

Regards,

Bill

Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 PM
Topsail
Cruiser

You will probably outgrow a Sporty rather quickly.....I did.

I think the Dynas are the best handling of all the Big Twins, but maybe not the most comfortable?

The RoadKing is the best tourer H-D makes imo.

Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

georgia rider,

First and foremost, Welcome!

As I read your post, it was evident to me that you already have a slant toward a particular model. Certain bikes call to certain people. The RK is designed to give those that want a cruiser the opportunity to personalize the bike, while still giving them the benefit of a cruiser.

Go to the Harley shop, shoot, go to a few of them, and look at all that they have, sit on them. Go look at used ones, you will find the one that speaks to you soon enough. But whatever you do, take the MSF course...it will pay for itself in spades...

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Mac

Old 01-13-2005, 03:54 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wiil probably out grow a Sporty rather quickly.....I did.
That's not necessarily true. I knew a guy that was 6'4" 275lbs of solid, scary muscle that rode a 1200C with the peanut tank that he just looked awkward on, IMHO, but he wouldn't trade or move up for nothin'. He loved the ride, it was his bike, and if anyone had a mean word they wanted to say about it...well, not too many people said anything mean to him about anything.

Anyway, get what you want. Do like Mac said and sit on 'em, if possible test ride 'em. Dynas are great, Softails are a favorite for many too. Good luck on the decision.

Old 01-14-2005, 03:31 AM
Pirate
Road Master

Welcome Georgia Rider!

I just got my first, and its a Dyna Wide Glide. Could not be more happy with it. Handles real well, is extremely comfortable(I was supprized) and tons of go...

I did as everyone is saying, I sat on them all... Could not take a demo ride but just sitting in it I knew. Main thing is what feels good to you.

I'm also in the ATL area, got mine at Stone Mountain HD

Old 01-14-2005, 06:24 PM
grumpygit
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Pirate

I just got my first, and its a Dyna Wide Glide. Could not be more happy with it.
Me too...an' I couldn't agree more!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Topsail
Cruiser

There are exceptions, but most folk that start on Sportys move up fairly quickly.

Save some $$$ and go with the bike you'll be happy with for awhile anyway.

SoftTails look the coolest imo.

If your leaning towards the Dynas, have a look at the Dyna SuperGlide Sport (FXDX), great bang for the buck.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:48 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are exceptions, but most folk that start on Sportys move up fairly quickly.
I agree. I'm sticking with my Sporty for awhile. I'm thinking that when it's time to get a new bike (and give the current Sporty to my wife) that I might just get another 1200C. I love the ride and the feel. Plus I really just wanna change it out so it's ALL mine. I'm young enough that the ride won't be too much of a bother. I think I'll save the RK for down the road. We'll see. Plus, think of all the add-ons I can get just from the difference in price...

Quick Reply: which bike