Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:39 PM
XjldX
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel gauge removal

I couldn't find this already covered on here, so I apologize if it's been asked and answered already.

I am thinking of moving my ignition switch to the dash of my '07 FXD by mounting it in place of my stock fuel gauge (I have the combo speedo/tach, which has a fuel gauge built in)

I'm thinking to keep my low fuel idiot light from constantly being lit, I'll need to put a resistor on the circuit where the fuel gauge used to be. Is this correct? If so, what is the best way to go about this? If not, how would I solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:26 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would unplug your fuel gauge with your current set up and see if the low fuel light comes on...how does your speedo/tach read the gas mileage?

Old 04-26-2014, 02:38 PM
XjldX
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rooti
I would unplug your fuel gauge with your current set up and see if the low fuel light comes on...how does your speedo/tach read the gas mileage?
That's a pretty good idea, I hadn't thought about just unplugging it just I see what the result is.

The speedo/tach has a four segment LED fuel gauge on it. I can only assume it somehow gets the same info that the idiot light gets from the main harness.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:42 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm just wondering where the speedo gets the information for the fuel? Was there a Y connector that came with the kit that attached to the fuel gauge? Since I don't have one of these speedo's, I'm just a little curious.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:50 PM
XjldX
Road Captain

It just uses the stock connection, so I'm guessing all that info goes from the float sensor, back to the EFI and then to the speedo/tach...?

Old 04-26-2014, 04:53 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

So was your original fuel gauge not hooked up after you installed the speedo?

On another subject, I was able to ship out your speedo bracket today, you'll have it Monday

Old 04-26-2014, 05:07 PM
XjldX
Road Captain

My stock fuel gauge is still hooked up and in the original location. Since I now have two fuel gauges (the stock analog one in the dash and the LED one that is built in to the combo speedo/tach), I figure now I have no reason to not relocate my ignition switch. That is, unless for some reason I find out that disconnecting the OEM gauge makes the new one not work.

I've been told that by removing the stock one, the low fuel idiot light stays on all the time. I'm just trying to think of some sort of solution to that.

Also, thanks again for the deal on the speedo mount, that's a whole different mod I'm planning on taking on soon.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:03 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Your welcome. I messed up and sent it priority...lol Glad to send it to where it will be used

Old 04-26-2014, 09:03 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,356 Likes on 831 Posts

If you unplug the gas gauge the Get Fuel NOW light stays on. I have a normal gas cap on the left side with the gauge inside the well. Still hooked up but out of sight. Fuel gauge has always been useless so why have it when you have a trip odometer. Don't remember who makes it, but Google Gas Gauge Eliminator and it's something like $20.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I still don't understand how you have two gas gauges hooked up. Where is the speedo getting the fuel level info?

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge removal