Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 street bob first service

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Joe Nobody
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 street bob first service

Well I take my baby in to the dealer for first service tommorrow and I was wondering if there was anything I should watch out for when I pick it up?

I do plan on buying a service manual and doing my own service from here on out, but I have heard the first service was the most important so I want to take it to the dealer to make sure I keep my warrantee in good standing.

And should I go synthetic or not? Should I maybe wait till next service which I will do myself.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:33 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: 07 street bob first service

And should I go synthetic or not? Should I maybe wait till next service which I will do myself
thats a loaded question man.
Anyway...
The trend, from what I have noticed, seems to lean towards synthetic. There are some folks that just don't care and just put the cheapest in, and that is fine, whatever. It really depends on the person that is making the decision. It sounds like you are someone that will lean towards going synthetic.
There are those that say you shouldn't go through the break in period with synthetic, but then HD puts syn3 in ther CVO bikes... so who knows.
I waited until break in was over, then went to Redlline products. I could have my dealer to Redline if I wasnt into doing it myself, they push Redline over Syn3 (just like they push the PCIII over the SERT)

Once you decide to go syn, you need to figure out what you are going to put in there. From everything I have read, the most used syn's seem to be
Amsoil
Redline
Mobile
HD's Syn3

There is a smattering of other syns out there folks are using, but I would say these four are the most heavily used. I use Redline.

As far as things to watch out for after your service... look for scratches on the tank/fenders. You might consider checking the oil level (I sure read a lot of "my dealer overfilled my oil" threads).

There isn't much to that first service... check that everything is still tight and change the fluids. thats about it.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:41 PM
Joe Nobody
Advanced

Thanks thrillseeker

how about some more opinions

Old 03-26-2007, 09:49 PM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm interested in this thread also, seeing as how I'll be looking to get my first service done most likely by the end of April.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Gary_L
Advanced

Check your fluid levels. Might be a good idea to do it before you leave the dealership. Check how your clutch feels and check the freeplay in the cable. Make sure the throttle feels okay.

Thrillseeker named some good syn oils. I'd give the nod to the Redline or Mobil 1. I use the Mobil 1.

I've not read the oil forum on this board, but I have at the vtwin board, and I suggest you read up on the subject to help you decide.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

My transmission cap was loose, not even finger tight but the fluid levels were right. It's a shame, gbut check for scratches, low fluid levels, too much fluid, loose items, etectera. Some of these techs truly could care less - it's a shame.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Helix
Tourer

Im exactly the same as you. I let the dealer do my 1k and went to syn 3. I bought I service manual and lift and did my own 5k since they wanted $360 for it. It doesnt Void your warranty if they dont do the service. Just keep all your receipts and keep a good detailed log of your service. The thing I dont get is you buy a $30k car and you dont have to do the dealer reccommended services. If you have a problem withen the warranty time they deal w/itwithout any hassles. HD dealerships on the other hand require a blessing from the MCO to do anything , and the dealers threaten to void warrantys.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:59 AM
voyager1
Outstanding HDF Member

do not trust them to get all fluid levels correct. be sure to check yourself. tires too, check them, like x-files,trust no one. get a manual and start doing your own fluids, very easy really.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

If you get the feeling from your service people that they can't be trusted, don't bother having them do the service. Your warranty is still good if you do it yourself. I had a shop do my first service (not the dealer) because I had them write a custom powercommander map for me and dyno tune it, so it was worth it for me. If I was only doing the 1000 mile service, I would have done it myself.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:14 PM
glide05
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gary_L

Check your fluid levels. Might be a good idea to do it before you leave the dealership. Check how your clutch feels and check the freeplay in the cable. Make sure the throttle feels okay.

Good advice - the dealer mechanics are mostly useless. They will say they did things, and then not do them, including not filling oil to spec. If they can short you a quart and charge you for it - they will do it.

I took mine in for 1K. Didn't check the oil for a few weeks. It was a quart low, like the mechanic just said "I think that's 3 quarts" and didn't bother to check the level.

I will never go back to them. I guess all are not the same, but find a good indy you can trust for future service.

Quick Reply: 07 street bob first service