Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RANGER73
I use a "Brake-a-way", Push a button to lock, self releases when you apply brake.
I agree with Ranger. Brake a way. Though their new design is tough to install. See if you can get the ring design that slip over the grips.
roger

Old 04-09-2014, 01:29 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the cruise buddy on mine, I might need to tighten it up a little because I can watch the speedo drop over time, I was nervous when setting it up that it would lock my throttle however that is not the case I can easily over power it, but it sure is nice to relax the hand for awhile. By design it wont maintain speed on hills that is the only annoying thing about it.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

I have short stubby fingers and it is not too difficult to manipulate the throttle lock star even when wearing my cold-weather gauntlet gloves. I keep the screw adjusted so that it only takes a couple of turns to apply sufficient friction to keep the throttle set. I can flick it off with my thumb and I can easily override it if necessary.

I also have my throttle boss adjusted so that the weight of my hand can keep the throttle set comfortably at most cruising speeds. That way I do not have to keep a finger grip on the throttle. I am satisfied with the setup, it works just fine for me.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlide13Rider
I use the cruise-mate throttle cruise assist. http://mycruisemate.com/
replaces the stock star lock. Just takes a flick of the thumb to lock and unlock throttle.

Cruise-mate install is a little involved (drilling/tapping) but the thing works remarkably well. The Cruise-mate replaces the actuator screw with a coarser thread so that there is much more vertical movement for a given rotation. The throttle is firmly locked (but still easily turned) with less than a full throw of the lever, and no resistance when the lever is back.

With the throttle mate I could never get it just right, so that when forward the throttle holds and when back there is no resistance. At one placement on the star the throttle wouldn't hold, and with the throttle mate advanced one position it wouldn't fully release. I was glad when it finally vibrated off somewhere between here and there.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:57 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just have he friction set where it just does hold where it's set. I don't see a problem.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:57 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlide13Rider
I use the cruise-mate throttle cruise assist. http://mycruisemate.com/
replaces the stock star lock. Just takes a flick of the thumb to lock and unlock throttle.
+1 I use this on all my bikes...best one out there because it replaces the stock internals with a cam lock. Only a 1/4 turn to engage/disengage.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for the cruise-mate. I have one and it works pretty well.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,309 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Originally Posted by rogersachs
I agree with Ranger. Brake a way. Though their new design is tough to install. See if you can get the ring design that slip over the grips.
roger
It was tough to install, string and WD40.
Got it on Fleebay for $125.
I was using the throttle tensioner but wanted the release function for quick stops, when there's no time to release and grab a fist full of brake.