Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grip Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grip Install

So I bought some new grips, Arlen Ness Slash cut black grips.. I was watching a you tube video on how to install them and it shows the guy cutting the old grip off the side with the clutch and then gluing the new grip on that side... basically making it unusable if I ever decide to change them down the road. Is this the case? Thanks.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:53 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

There are two different types of grips.
1. Stock and stock replacement grips.
The left grip just slips over the end of the bar. It has a flange that seats inside your switch housing. Loosen the switch housing (two screws), gently lift the top portion away and you'll see how the flange seats in place.
The throttle side is very similar, but you'll have to loosen your throttle cables and take the cable-ends out of their little grooves. The throttle grip has the grooves built in.

2. Rubber, or MX, or other non-stock style grips.
These are glued on to your bars and generally need to be cut off when removing them.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:02 PM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wrapped around the bar with electricians tape and used windex as a lubricant to slide the grip on the bar. Just went in far enough so the flange on the end of the grip went into the channel made into the switch housing. I did this so I could change the grips out at some later date without having to ruin the grip. It is a method that has worked good for me up until now with no problems.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

just don't use too much glue. The first time I changed my grips the stock grips, i just twisted the clutch side adn it turned and came right out. try that first.

Those are very nice!

Old 04-08-2014, 03:14 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life
It says those are fly-by-wire grips (used on Softails with electrically controlled throttles.)

However, if you get the cable version of these, the will install without glue (just like stock grips.) you'll need to open the switch housings and put the flanges into the grooves of the housing.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:23 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

This is part one of five showing how to adjust the throttle cable. You'll need to do this. It's very easy if you take your time.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Sorry I was just trying to get a picture... these are actually the ones I bought.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...cable-throttle

Old 04-08-2014, 04:06 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wranglin4Life
Sorry I was just trying to get a picture... these are actually the ones I bought.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...cable-throttle
You're good to go then, just know that you don't need to cut the old grips if they are stockers, and you don't need to glue anything. just loosen up the switch housings and you'll see how they insert into the grooves

Old 04-08-2014, 04:08 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

It is really easy. I did glue my new grip on for the clutch side. I figure if I want the same grips on a different bike I would just buy new.

Quick Reply: Grip Install