Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light problem (03 FXDX)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light problem (03 FXDX)

as far as I knew, my brake light was working but it's been a LONG time since I've looked at it to confirm, the tail lamp is always on so I assumed the brake light was good

I just bought some turn signals from Craigslist and the plugs snapped right in to the harness, after finishing the install with a custom light bar I fabricated I checked all lights to discover the brake light is not functioning, I can not say for sure the brake light was working before the install

I unplugged the turn signals but still no brake light, I checked the obvious, bulb and fuse are good

Out of frustration I stood really hard on the brake pedal and squeezed the brake lever and saw the brake light engage for a split second

I can not get it to do that again, any idea what might be wrong?

Attached Thumbnails brake light problem (03 FXDX)-001.jpg   brake light problem (03 FXDX)-007.1.jpg   brake light problem (03 FXDX)-002.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 10:08 PM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Several things come to mind. Bad bulb, bad socket, wiring or brake light switch. Try a new build as they are cheap. Next check the socket with a vom. If no power is present either bad brake light switch or wiring issue. If that is the case check the wires that run under the fender as they can pop out of the loom and rub on the tire causing a short.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Change the bulb regardless it's an easy try if that's not it , only cost you a buck or so. I had my rear brake switch go could not get the brake light to engage with it but never both at the same time , that's why I'd lean towards the bulb itself

Old 03-25-2014, 10:35 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

I did swap out the bulb with a brand new one from Scottsdale HD, I'm going to test for voltage at the socket now

Old 03-25-2014, 11:35 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

started testing the circuit board, I have good 12V when braking at the receiving side at the board but something goes wrong when I plug in the harness

I bridged the 12V giving lead to the receiving lead to bypass the harness but still the same issue

I then jumped the 12V giving lead to the receiving lead by cutting the receiving lead from the harness and still the same problem

IMO there is something wrong with the socket and I'm so frustrated, will call HD in the morning to see what the socket will cost

Attached Thumbnails brake light problem (03 FXDX)-009.jpg  
Old 03-25-2014, 11:43 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like a good time to upgrade to an LED tail light to me.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 PM
supermanotorious
Tourer

I wanted to mention that when the red/yellow brake light lead is NOT connected to the socket it reads 12V, when connected it reads about .65V and I DID test for a short in the socket via continuity but that test turned up negative

UGH

Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 AM
supermanotorious
Tourer

for f*ck's sake, I stood on the brake pedal again and got intermittent brake light, I don't know what the hell that means, I did good, solid electrical diagnostic tracing the issue to the socket but why would a crazy brake stand make it work intermittently?????

Old 03-26-2014, 12:11 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supermanotorious
for f*ck's sake, I stood on the brake pedal again and got intermittent brake light, I don't know what the hell that means, I did good, solid electrical diagnostic tracing the issue to the socket but why would a crazy brake stand make it work intermittently?????
the sensor on the brake pedal loose?

Old 03-26-2014, 12:13 AM
supermanotorious
Tourer

A) I'm not sure how to tell

B) without the socket wired in, the R/Y leads read 12V with a moderate brake press

Quick Reply: brake light problem (03 FXDX)