Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dual Disc Part Numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014 | 01:13 AM
claptrap
1st Gear

I can confirm that all you really need to replace are the fork sliders. I completed this mod some months back. All the guts in the forks bolt up 100%

I had originally gone to dual disc using fat-bob sliders w/ touring brembos (machined to fit). Once the lowrider sliders were available, I ordered them up and made the swap. Went with jay-brake 6 piston calipers.

Just get the sliders and new seals. You could even just replace the right slider if you want to save as much $$$ as possible. I ordered both because the lowrider slider is aesthetically different at the caliper mount than the stock left slider from my '09 FXDC... Just nit-picky, would have worked perfectly using my stock left slider and the right from the lowrider.

good luck

Old 11-08-2014 | 06:06 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm curious as to why you need dual discs up front? I don't think I use my front brake enough to understand the benefits. I replace rear pads about every year and have never replaced my fronts.

Old 11-08-2014 | 06:48 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by wastedranger
I'm curious as to why you need dual discs up front? I don't think I use my front brake enough to understand the benefits. I replace rear pads about every year and have never replaced my fronts.
Oh, my word.

The front brake does the vast majority of braking for any motorcycle. In a maximum effort stop on a cruiser style bike, the front brake provides roughly 70%-80% of your stopping power. In a sportbike, at the point just before a "stoppie" begins, the front brake provides 100% of the braking effort.

If you're not using your front brake on every stop, then you're not effectively utilizing your brakes. And, even more importantly, if you have never developed the habit of using your front brake on every single stop, if a car ever pulls out in front of you and you have to do a maximum effort stop (or a "panic stop" to use old terminology), then you are going to lock up the rear brake and crash.

Guaranteed.

I would strong, strongly suggest you take a rider's training course, and really focus on the braking exercises. Yes, you can certainly buy a DVD and do what it says, but there is no substitute for having an expert stand right next to the bike while you lock up the rear tire. They'll teach you how to do it correctly, using both the front and the rear.

Take a class. Really.

The following users liked this post:
oldbie (09-22-2016)
Old 11-08-2014 | 06:52 PM
claptrap
1st Gear

yikes....

see above reply.

Old 11-08-2014 | 07:39 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow! I just got served. I didn't realize the benefits. I guess after over 80k miles I need to take a riders course watch some videos and add extra brakes up front. I have no idea how to ride. I guess I'll leave out the part that I would buy a chop without front brakes. Maybe I should get a bike with abs also. I'm guessing this would also be a bad time to mention I wear shorts to work with my lack of riding ability. Lol.

Old 11-08-2014 | 07:43 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member
Veteran: Army

Wow! I just got served. I didn't realize the benefits. I guess after over 80k miles I need to take a riders course watch some videos and add extra brakes up front. I have no idea how to ride. I guess I'll leave out the part that I would buy a chop without front brakes....
Alrighty then. We're not talking about riding chops with no front brakes, we're talking about this:

...I replace rear pads about every year and have never replaced my fronts.
And, yes, it does mean you don't know how to use your brakes.

Whether or not you know how to ride, I have no earthly idea.

And, obviously, you're free to to whatever you want.

Carry on.

Old 11-08-2014 | 07:51 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll start a new thread so I don't hi jack this one.

Old 11-11-2014 | 07:16 PM
tonebone_79
Tourer

subscribed

Old 01-18-2015 | 08:02 PM
DMonty
Advanced

Finally have the dual disk setup on my 2006 Street Bob. Everything lined up fine with no spacers needed. I did get a new brake caliper for the left side to match the newer version that the low rider has...mostly because I'm a little OCD and it would drive me nuts knowing about it.

Attached Thumbnails New Dual Disc Part Numbers!-img_0390.jpg  

Last edited by DMonty; 01-19-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2015 | 10:05 PM
Wide N Low 13
Cruiser

Subscribed! Nice work! WANT so bad! Birthday in Feb. maybe then.

Quick Reply: New Dual Disc Part Numbers!