Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guards.. Wide Glide....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Craka05wideglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Guards.. Wide Glide....

Hey guys i was thinking of puttin engine guards on my 05 wide glide...anyone put them on and any suggestions? id like to see some pics if possible so i can see what it looks like. i was thinking of puttin the enigne guards w/pegs and foglamps....u can see the parts in the hd catalog but i was lookin for pics n opinions.....thanks

Old 03-24-2007, 06:40 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Engine Guards.. Wide Glide....

I've been debating the same thing since I got my wg a year and a half ago. I've seen pics, and I just don't like them on this particular bike....and still, I really like the insurance they provide in the event of a tip over. I've only seen pics of the HD bars...and like I said...they don't look great to me. I, too, would like to see some more pics...perhaps of different brands. The thing I don't like about the HD bars is how they connect to the bottom of the frame. I've heard others complain about this as well.

Todd

Old 03-24-2007, 07:00 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I got them because I have too many kids around my bike all the time when it's in the garage. Sooner or later one of them will knock it over. Now I am used to the look and don't even think about them anymore.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:56 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

i have seen these with the lights ect looks silly and garbaged up, the whole idea behind a wideglide is a factory chopper, a clean look is what its all about on a wideglide, in my humble opion, would you take all the bags off a touring bike

Old 03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Gary_L
Advanced

I put an engine guard on back during the winter so I could put soft lower covers on them to keep my feet a little warmer. I planned to take it off when the weather warmed, but so far, it's still there.

Here's a close up of the lower mounts. They attach with U bolts to the downtube.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

This is the only Engine guard I have found that looks good enough to stick on my DWG

http://www.lindbycustom.com/

Old 03-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Zyklon
Tourer

Todd, I have been thinking about engine guards on my Wide Glide also. I agree with you about the look. But how much chrome would you have to replace if you dropped your bike. When you have a boat load of expensive stuff that can be bent or scraped up just from dropping your bike I see bundles of money flying away. I am looking at engine guards myself because I am getting ready to add a lot more of HDs high dollar chrome goodies. It is a tough call; I guess if you can afford to replace the stuff a drop would screw up then it is ok to not install the engine guards. Also, Biggol the Linby bars look good, that may be the way to go.

Zyklon

Old 03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
fgatorfan
Intermediate

I have an engine guard on my 06 WG and I just put highway pegs on. and it's like a whole different ride. I don't think I'm gonna take it off any time soon. I have had the EG on and off several times and it did no damage to my bike's frame. If I can get the digital camera out of the wife's possesion I will try to post a few pics.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:31 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Zyklon

Todd, I have been thinking about engine guards on my Wide Glide also. I agree with you about the look. But how much chrome would you have to replace if you dropped your bike. When you have a boat load of expensive stuff that can be bent or scraped up just from dropping your bike I see bundles of money flying away. I am looking at engine guards myself because I am getting ready to add a lot more of HDs high dollar chrome goodies. It is a tough call; I guess if you can afford to replace the stuff a drop would screw up then it is ok to not install the engine guards. Also, Biggol the Linby bars look good, that may be the way to go.

Zyklon
Yeah...I agree with you..and I don't want to even think about what happens if it goes down..because I have A LOT of chrome that will get mashed. On that note, I'm not really sure how it works as far as insurance is concerned. I'm paying more money to cover accessories...I am covered up to 12,000 in extras (and I have receipts for every piece) but I'm not sure how that works if it's just a dropped bike in the garage. Any ideas?
Anyway...I know I'm taking a chance...but so be it. I do like the lindbys...but still don't know if I like the way they look enough to convince me to buy them...and lets face it...we buy all the chrome to make our bikes look nice...so what's the point of putting a big eyesore on the bike..to protect the stuff that's supposed to make it look nice. With that logic, you're almost better off leaving the bike stock...then who cares if it goes down Sorry....just thinkin out loud

Todd

Old 03-25-2007, 01:40 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I need to put something on so I can switch my feet around while riding. I really want mustache bars instead of highway bars or engine guards.

Quick Reply: Engine Guards.. Wide Glide....