Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Guards.. Wide Glide....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:53 PM
supervette79
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine Guards.. Wide Glide....

I had the Harley guard on my 04 WG and then went a different route. It looked ok on it.

BTW.....the engine guard is for sale.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 PM
Craka05wideglide
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which part # if you know or tell me the model so i can check it out in the parts manual. what condition are they in and how much are you lookin for them? PM me if possible, i tried to PM you but no good.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 AM
05 Wd Gld
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd, I have an 05 and tons of chrome. If I wanted to make sure it wouldn't get damaged I guess I could just leave it in the garage. There have been lots of people tell me about the safety advantages and what if it tips type of things. I can fix all of those by not riding. I myself cannot see putting it on a Wide Glide. If you don't really think it adds to your bike then don't do it. If it is really something you want then go for it. In my opinion, I think your ride looks great as is.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
rde
Road Captain

I have an 06 WG and agree with Todd that engine guards just don't look that great on Wide Glides. I'm beginning to change my tune after I dropped my bike the other week-first time I've ever dropped a bike in my life. I was backing out of a parking space and my left foot slipped on some gravel and the bike leaned way over. I didn't really drop the bike but layed it down slowly. Luckily the only damage was bending my clutch lever.

Now that I reflect on what could have happened to my chrome and paint I'm worried. I was always so confident that dropping a bike only happened to other people and would never happen to me. I'm already thinking about chroming the front end of my bike, new headlight, hand controls, etc. When you plan on adding another $1600 maybe the bars aren't such a bad idea.

I'm not saying I'm going to do it, but now at least I'm thinking about it.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:52 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I just put an HD engine guard on mine and imho it looks good. Before I bought it I checked out the others, and personally I like the old school look of the HD part. Those Lindy's are just plain ugly to me, but to each his own...I figure its one of those parts you put on out of necessity.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:01 PM
oldfrtbkr
Cruiser

Craka05wideglide

Hey guys i was thinking of puttin engine guards on my 05 wide glide...anyone put them on and any suggestions? id like to see some pics if possible so i can see what it looks like. i was thinking of puttin the enigne guards w/pegs and foglamps....u can see the parts in the hd catalog but i was lookin for pics n opinions.....thanks
=================================================
Let's set some ground rules here. It's not if you drop your bike, it's WHEN you drop your bike.

Yep, chrome and bolt on stuff is expensive, as are engine parts but they're replacable. Legs are not! Ever note how hot those pipes get after you've been on the road a while? First off it's a safety thing, second those bars are a great place to hang stuff: driving/fog lights, highway pegs, helmet lock, elephant ears to keep you legs warmer in the winter, etc.

Think about the safety issue first, then think about the chrome that won't get you home.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/783A714E86BB4E2E9BA6D63D393E04F2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/BBE70CB8FFF747D5B04DD6D062078914.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/10968/CA28DC6615AE4A7680383995C727EE7E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2007, 03:17 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rde

I have an 06 WG and agree with Todd that engine guards just don't look that great on Wide Glides. I'm beginning to change my tune after I dropped my bike the other week-first time I've ever dropped a bike in my life. I was backing out of a parking space and my left foot slipped on some gravel and the bike leaned way over. I didn't really drop the bike but layed it down slowly. Luckily the only damage was bending my clutch lever.

Now that I reflect on what could have happened to my chrome and paint I'm worried. I was always so confident that dropping a bike only happened to other people and would never happen to me. I'm already thinking about chroming the front end of my bike, new headlight, hand controls, etc. When you plan on adding another $1600 maybe the bars aren't such a bad idea.

I had a close call not that long ago also....and I thought sure it was going down....in a parking lot...gravel...same deal. I managed to hold it up. Guess all those years in the gym paid off for once. But it was really close. Still...I can't suck it up. I just don't like them.

ORIGINAL: oldfrtbkr

Let's set some ground rules here. It's not if you drop your bike, it's WHEN you drop your bike.
And yeah....statistically speaking, most people will drop their bike. That doesn't mean all...most. I am going to continue to be optimistic, despite what seasoned riders say...because at this point, I'm a seasoned rider myself. I've been riding for over 10 years, and have not gone down, dropped, etc, once. My riding buddy has been riding for over 45 years, and has never dropped a bike.

Same goes for driving a car. Chances are, you will be in an accident. I'm driving a car for 20 years...and I've had accidents...a couple. My mother has been driving for much longer and has never even had a fender bender. The "ground rule" is not... if, but when....it's chances are.
So am I being optimistic? Will I go down or at least lay the bike down?...probably...but probably is not definitely. And until I do go down, no one will convince me otherwise. Of course..if I do, I will have no problem admitting it here...and you can tell me, I told you so.

Todd

Old 03-26-2007, 05:17 PM
dynamikeca
Advanced

ORIGINAL: rde

Put an engine guard on my low rider this past winter. I did the same/only/lay-down slowly, same damage, in my own driveway when I first got my bike. It had been one of those subconscious things playing on my riding enjoyment ever since (like the lighting).

Was thinking only of paint and chrome until a buddy had a evening run-in on the freeway with a deer last fall.Took out right turn signal and bent engine guard. He says no guard and it would have been no leg and wouldn't have been able to keep the bike up.His first serious use of an engine guardin 35 yrs experience, if you don't count the gas pump stop after too many beer (no kickstand) he swears that was a one and only (some doubts here).

[IMG]local://upfiles/23837/C785D3AF117F483CB85AA169053CAA65.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-26-2007, 07:03 PM
ad2
Cruiser

I have them, don't think they look bad, have never dropped my bike, but last year a buddy and I were riding out west of Ft. Worth and he went down in a corner on his brand new SG. Fortunately he had engine guards. He had to replace the left side of the guard, BUT that was one heck of a lot cheaper than what it would have cost without them.

He lost it in loose gravel on a black top road. Not one scratch on the paint or chrome. Made a believer out of me.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 AM
JCWideGlider
Intermediate

In my area, they lay oil and stone all the time... I am definitely getting some for this coming year...

Quick Reply: Engine Guards.. Wide Glide....