Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping back firing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014 | 05:37 PM
Tau511
|
Advanced
Default Popping back firing

I'm a new Harley owner. Before my street bob all I have ridden are Suzuki and Kawasaki cruisers. With the Street Bob I have some issues with popping when I let off the throttle. This only happens in second and very occasionally in third. Am I riding like an idiot? (Based only on the popping, I know I might be an idiot in other ways). Is this maybe a tuning issue? I did get the heavy breather but the exhaust is basically stock. I went for the download from harley for the new intake. Not sure what is going on but any advice or things to try would be awesome.

Old 03-20-2014 | 05:51 PM
Cheeto
Road Captain

I'd bet a good tuner and some dyno time would get rid of most of that pop. I haven't tried the HD download but haven't heard much good about them.

Old 03-20-2014 | 06:25 PM
HillCountryRider
Novice

Originally Posted by Tau511
I'm a new Harley owner. Before my street bob all I have ridden are Suzuki and Kawasaki cruisers. With the Street Bob I have some issues with popping when I let off the throttle. This only happens in second and very occasionally in third. Am I riding like an idiot? (Based only on the popping, I know I might be an idiot in other ways). Is this maybe a tuning issue? I did get the heavy breather but the exhaust is basically stock. I went for the download from harley for the new intake. Not sure what is going on but any advice or things to try would be awesome.
I have the dealer download in mine for a dealer "high flow" intake and screaming eagle slip ons. I have the same problem. Usually only pops on decel when I close it off half way. Nothing too annoying but I am tired of the setup and have a 2 into 1 and big sucker stage one and getting some dyno time done.

Old 03-20-2014 | 07:05 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

I bet the download is causing your poping sound.Decel Popping is caused by unburnt fuel in the exhaust system igniting due to air recursion and here you have added gas to a bike that didn't need any adjustments. If you change ex or intake , one without the other, there is no tuning necessary. I'm both surprised and not surprised your dealer didn't tell you that. Meaning; I'd be surprised your dealer did not know that and I'm not surprised he watched your hard earned money slide accross the counter to him.

Always feel free and never be shy to ask noob questions in this forum before you go out and pay for things. We love to help newcomers get used to their new ride and lifestyle here! Of course there are those who will poke fun and pretend they know it all but someone will always give you good info here!

Last edited by maddghost; 03-20-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2014 | 07:05 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member

The download is useless. I believe it's mainly for emissions, haven't heard anything good from getting the download. My buddies wide glide does the same thing (SE Ventilator & V&H Short Shots) like a tommy gun.

Get a good tuner (tts mastertune, thundermax, or power commander) when you get your choice of pipes. Dyno time on a semi-stock bike would be a waste.

Old 03-20-2014 | 07:13 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member

I have the download and it works great on my bike with SE air box and slipons. Runs nice and crisp with no popping or backfiring. I know a lot of guys who are very happy with the download.

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 03-20-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2014 | 07:38 PM
JROCKER
Tourer

Popping can be caused by an exhaust leak as well

Old 03-20-2014 | 07:50 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JROCKER
Popping can be caused by an exhaust leak as well
yes but he didn't change his exhaust

Old 03-20-2014 | 09:31 PM
Tau511
|
Advanced

Thanks for the help everyone. What is dyno time? Is this pop something I need to take care of right away meaning is it going to hurt the bike or just sound dumb? And is there already a thread somewhere about tuners? (I imagine there is). Thanks Again!

Old 03-20-2014 | 09:49 PM
JROCKER
Tourer

Originally Posted by maddghost
yes but he didn't change his exhaust
You don't need to change exhaust to have a loose header nut

Quick Reply: Popping back firing