Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Popping back firing

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014 | 06:51 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master

A good dyno tune will get rid of this, at least it did for mine.

Old 03-21-2014 | 09:31 AM
kreeess
Road Captain

just recently installed a set of straight shots slip on on my 2014 sb and Im also getting a lot of backfire/pop. unlike OP i only have slip ons and stock air filter with no tune, would a tune/xied fix this issue? and is this bad for the motor if im getting some backfire/pop during decel?

Old 03-21-2014 | 12:15 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Decel pop won't hurt the bike at all. In fact, it probably does that from the factory but the pipes are too quiet to hear it.
It could also be from loose exhaust header nuts, as said above. Easy enough to check.
If you are actually getting a backfire (not the same as decel pop) that is less likely to be happening, and is often due to intake leaks. Also not hard to check.
There are tons of tuner threads here, look around and do some reading on them, see what makes sense to you.

Old 03-21-2014 | 12:32 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nevil
Decel pop won't hurt the bike at all. In fact, it probably does that from the factory but the pipes are too quiet to hear it.
It could also be from loose exhaust header nuts, as said above. Easy enough to check.
If you are actually getting a backfire (not the same as decel pop) that is less likely to be happening, and is often due to intake leaks. Also not hard to check.
There are tons of tuner threads here, look around and do some reading on them, see what makes sense to you.

thanks for clarifying that with me, so I guess its just decel pops im getting no backfires, definitely doing my reads on tuners

Old 03-21-2014 | 03:02 PM
Grendel4
Banned

Originally Posted by nevil
Give that man a cigar!

It annoyed me at first but now I'm used to it. I kinda like it, in fact.

It's not terrible, but it's there.

Almost sounds like a P-47 coming in for a landing after a day of swatting Bf-109's out of the air.

Because, basically, that's what our engines are...... Two cylinders out of an old Radial Aircraft Engine....

Old 03-21-2014 | 03:20 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

I've got DFO on my 05 FXDLI and it makes a sweet burble during shifts and throttle roll offs.

Old 03-21-2014 | 05:07 PM
shotgun1133
Intermediate

Also a lean condition will cause a decel pop which is almost always the case. As stated earlier un burnt fuel will also cause a pop but it usually will only pop once and mostly if you snap of the throttle. Sometimes you will have flames out of the pipe. A good example is a roadrace car getting out of the throttle for a corner. Here is a vid of one of my bikes I built on a dyno. At about the 56 sec mark the throttle gets snapped off and you will see a nice blue flame come out of the exhaust, that's a fat pop. There was a real good tune on that bike. No it's not a Harley, but I've built some fast bikes. That was a 4th gear pull.

Last edited by shotgun1133; 03-21-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2014 | 05:30 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Decel pop is good. It helps keep the cagers aware that you're there.

Old 03-22-2014 | 06:31 AM
11bDad
Road Captain

If you are sure you have no leaks, you have 4 options.

1. Try the XIEDs which might correct the issue. Then again, they might not. You're rolling the dice.

2. Try some Thunder Torque inserts. Same deal as the XIEDs. Might or might not work.

3. Buy a tuner (I like PV). With a proper map, your popping will disappear.

4. Deal with the pop.

Edit: Add one more option. Buy a Dobeck TFI injector tuner. It'll work, but it's almost as much $ as a tuner.

Last edited by 11bDad; 03-22-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2014 | 02:30 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tau511
Thanks for the help everyone. What is dyno time? Is this pop something I need to take care of right away meaning is it going to hurt the bike or just sound dumb? And is there already a thread somewhere about tuners? (I imagine there is). Thanks Again!
No there is no damage caused by decel popping in fact I started liking it just as it went away after enough carbon built up in my pipe to absorb the unburnt fuel so there is your 6th option = just wait it out. Dyno tune is when your bike gets hooked up to a machine that reads yourengines output through emissions and Hp and TQ measurments and it costs alot, so you only want to do that once when all your engine mods are done!

Originally Posted by JROCKER
You don't need to change exhaust to have a loose header nut
At least That would be a real easy fix!!!

Quick Reply: Popping back firing