Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you do ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 08:29 AM
cjackson
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do ?

I bought a FXDI 35 last year. While I was at bikeweek I started looking at custom bikes and I started thinking about selling the superglide and going custom. However, I am now thing about possibly doing a radical customization to my FXDI 35.
I don't normally change syock bikes that much but I am thinking I could do alot with this particular bike.I need ideas, so I am asking, what would you do ? I already have a solo seat on it and I want to stick with the red, white, and blue theme. I definately want to add a pointed conical chrome covered air cleaner. I think something definately has to happen to the Bars. Please help me figure this out, any pics would be nice. Thanks !....CJ

Old 03-23-2007, 08:37 AM
cjackson
Cruiser
Default RE: What would you do ?

I forgot to mention that I already have a Rinehart 2-1 exhaust installed. Also, I am thinking about an Arlan Ness Headlight. I tkink lowering the bike would also capture the look I am trying to achieve. As you can tell I have alot of ideas, but I can't quite tie it together. I don't want to end up with scrambled eggs.
I think I want the low slung custom look. Iam more into drag type bars then apes.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:44 PM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

I dont know if I'd alter an anniversary bike much. I dont know what it would do to the "collector" value down the road if you decide to keep it that long, or If you sell it as an FXD35 if its to altered, no one may want to buy it.

But only you can tell, only you know what you bought your bike for.

Maybe find a fixer upper and deal with that.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:04 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I've been thinking about painting the battery and electrical cover on my SG to match the fenders. Don't know what colour they come on the anniversary model but on mine they came black. I'm thinking if they were the same colour as the other tins it would draw your eye down and make you think they're part of the body work and give the whole bike a lower look.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:10 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with glebo also, to a point. Bolt-ons done right can tend to be fairly uninvasive though.

If you do start customizing/adding/changing,IMO, Iwould stay away from anything that structuraly alters the bike chasis, or greatly alters the motor, or anniversary assets of the bike.Take your time planning the look that you want.

Finaly, I would keep as many of my stock parts as possible. That way, if you do decide to sell the bike, youhave some options...sell it as is with the extra parts...put it back to stock with your stock parts and reuse/ebay the bolt-ons...or sell the bike and sell the extra parts sepparately for extra cash on the back end.

I really like those 35th eds. Post a pic. We don't see many of them on here.

MV

Old 03-23-2007, 01:17 PM
SpeedMK
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: glebo

I dont know if I'd alter an anniversary bike much. I dont know what it would do to the "collector" value down the road if you decide to keep it that long, or If you sell it as an FXD35 if its to altered, no one may want to buy it.

But only you can tell, only you know what you bought your bike for.

Maybe find a fixer upper and deal with that.

I totally agree with glebo. A special edition bike is the last one I would customize. The more you customize a major brand, the smaller the group of potential buyers will be if you want to sell it.

I'd buy another bike for this. There's pleanty of inexpensive American Ironhorse bikes on Ebay. They would be a fun bike to customize.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:55 PM
risdo
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not much of a "wild" custom fan, myself. They are interesting to look at, but I don't want one.

I think my (basically stock)'07 Super Glide looks like a Harley should look... but that's my own opinion...

Heck, I even still have the stock pipes. That's unusual in and of itself: NOBODY has the stock pipes on their bikes but me...Just to be different, don't you know... (it helps that the '07 stock pipes are louder than before)

Anyway, in answer to your question, "what would you do?", well, only you can answer that. We're all different.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:24 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just really tired of customs. It's almost to the point that they're not even custom anymore. A few years back, when they just started becoming popular, I thought they were pretty cool, despite the fact that they don't look like they're all that comfortable to ride. But with all the attention they've gotten since then (tv shows, etc), they just don't do it for me anymore.
I think you have a sweet bike as it is. If you want to change it, I would just do bolt-ons, engine work, wheels, etc. I wouldn't change the frame, or chassis (as was already suggested).
Bottom line...the customs will come and go...just like every other bike fad. The only thing that doesn't ever go away is a stock HD...at least stock framed. And yours, in particular, is special in it's own way. I'd keep it as is...or maybe add some chrome, paint, wheels, bags...whatever. But keep it a Harley
Just my opinion, of course.

Todd

Old 03-23-2007, 03:31 PM
lolife
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 03-23-2007, 03:54 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I don't have anything against customs, really, I don't. But.... I like to actually get out in the twisties, and those fat azz tires are not meant for that type of riding. I also enjoy my wife coming along, and most customs don't have much for the passenger (if anything). Also, and this is a big one... of all the bikes I have seen on the side of the road with problems, they are mostly customs (not that I see a lot of disabled bikes out there, I'd say of five, three of them were customs)

Quick Reply: What would you do ?