Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 06:51 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Driving lights

I got a chance to ride with a group of 7 bikes last weekend. Being new to riding in a group, they asked that I ride at the back.After the ride, we were talking over a few cool and delicious beverages and one of the guys mentioned that from up front, he could easily keep track of everyone but me. They were all on softails or Glides and all hadtwo 4 1/2" extra lights up front. My Dyna only has the standard headlight and yellow running lights in the turn signals.

I want to make it more visible in front but:

1st Harley does not make a light bar for the o7 Dyna

2nd I do not like the looks of 4 1/2" lights. Does anyone have a bright but small and good loking light setup on the front of their Dyna?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:04 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Driving lights

well, its not a light bar. Its basically two clamps that mount on your forks above the lower tree. There are a bunch of part numbers
69284-05. You will want take a look at the catalog to figure out what you need. $284.95, includes the actual lamps as well as the brackets.

with that said, i agree with you, I think they would look like *** on the front of a Dyna... those are for baggers as far as I'm concerned (for those that may have these, sorry, don't mean to offend... to each his own )

There are a variety of different bulbs you can put it to make the stock lamp brighter.

by the way, I think that guy was full of sch!t anyway. I've been the leader of larger groups numerous times and I've never had an issue keeping track of who was back there based on their lighting setup. Think about it... he couldn't see you cuze you didn't have a friggen light wing sticking out there in space... you were behind someone, therefore your lamp was behind someone.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

Try a brighter bulb.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I've mentioned in several other threads, I added the Kuryakyn Panacea LED's to my bike this past winter. I was told by those I rode with in Daytona that the yellow LED running lights in the high mount turnsignals made me easy to pick out at night. I'm of the opinion that the LEDs are more visible than stock bulbs. It won't add the same type of light as driving lights, but it makes you easier to see on the road. (although you may still get lost among a flock of baggers....)

Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM
streetboob
Road Warrior

I agree that they look like crap, but that part won't fit the 06-07 anyway. It is made for 39mm forks and the 06-07 have 49mm.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 AM
Boxjoint
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an idea for driving lights that I did.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1385693/tm.htm

Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 AM
turtlebug
Cruiser

have you check to see if an older model of the dyna's passing lamps will work? Mine is a 2000

Old 03-21-2007, 10:20 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Boxjoint

Here is an idea for driving lights that I did.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1385693/tm.htm
Keep it up Boxjoint and you may find yourself getting requests to start making them for other peoples bikes.........

Old 03-21-2007, 01:03 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Great job Boxjoint. I am a wood worker and probably could follow your lead but my personal taste is for higher mounted lights. A couple of you said run a brighter light for the headlight. What are you running?

My best solution so far has been to use the Kuryakyn Large Silver bullets with clear lenses and the 35 watt bulbs. The make 49 mm clamps for $49.99 and a mounting kit that looks like it mounts under the pinch bolt for $24.99. I don't know how visible they would be and how much light they would provide for night riding.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:15 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

A lot of riders (often of other types of bikes) SWEAR by a lower set of lights. You'll see quite a few BMW's for example with lights down on the lower part of the fork tubes. It actually makes sense if you think about it. A cluster of lights near the headlight area doesn't help someone if they think you are a mini-van that is a mile or more away and you are really only a hundred yards away. Whenever I see crash bar lights, or something like what Boxjoint did, or those lights on the lower forks, it is always readily apparent that the vehicle is near even if I don't know right away that it is a motorcycle.

But that was funny to say the guy in the rear was hard to keep track of. You are at the back, with big bikes between you and him and then they apparently all had a rack of lights. I suspect you could hide an aircraft carrier behind enough lights.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Driving lights