Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:30 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Driving lights

ORIGINAL: kpreese

A lot of riders (often of other types of bikes) SWEAR by a lower set of lights. You'll see quite a few BMW's for example with lights down on the lower part of the fork tubes. It actually makes sense if you think about it. A cluster of lights near the headlight area doesn't help someone if they think you are a mini-van that is a mile or more away and you are really only a hundred yards away. Whenever I see crash bar lights, or something like what Boxjoint did, or those lights on the lower forks, it is always readily apparent that the vehicle is near even if I don't know right away that it is a motorcycle.

But that was funny to say the guy in the rear was hard to keep track of. You are at the back, with big bikes between you and him and then they apparently all had a rack of lights. I suspect you could hide an aircraft carrier behind enough lights.

Kevin
I rode with that group once......... Same guy was in the lead.
My bike was in the shop that day, so I took my aircraft carrier.
The leadman said later, after a few refreshments that I was the only one he had trouble seeing........ Maybe I stayed back, too far. (LOL).

Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
puddle jumper
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley sells a light kit that mounts to the engine guard p/n 68913-98b. Both lamps are 55w and are very bright . Iran my wires inside the bar for a cleaner look. Everything needed in box. Ran relay wire to other hot wire not low beam soI can operate driving lights while main light is high or low.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:58 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think the touring style light bar looks that bad on a Dyna ... one of the forum members who rides a Wide Glide looks pretty slick with the light bar.&nbsp\\; There's a setup you can buy from Custom Chrome catalog.&nbsp\\; See attached
&nbsp\\;
Priest

[IMG]local://upfiles/29151/04CCB1C5511A498D90BA6BDFD810F55A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimsreddyna

Great job Boxjoint. I am a wood worker and probably could follow your lead but my personal taste is for higher mounted lights. A couple of you said run a brighter light for the headlight. What are you running?

My best solution so far has been to use the Kuryakyn Large Silver bullets with clear lenses and the 35 watt bulbs. The make 49 mm clamps for $49.99 and a mounting kit that looks like it mounts under the pinch bolt for $24.99. I don't know how visible they would be and how much light they would provide for night riding.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;i have a suggestion for you, I am looking into using my old PIAA driving lights (55w/ emit 85w brightness) and mounting them underneath the headlight.&nbsp\\; From the front it will look like a triangle with the lights.&nbsp\\; I have a set of PIAA lights (black) that I would rather sell as I want a chrome pair instead.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 01:13 PM
misterkidgo
Tourer

ORIGINAL: thrillseeker

by the way, I think that guy was full of sch!t anyway. I've been the leader of larger groups numerous times and I've never had an issue keeping track of who was back there based on their lighting setup.&nbsp\\; Think about it... he couldn't see you cuze you didn't have a friggen light wing sticking out there in space... you were behind someone, therefore your lamp was behind someone.
they could have been riding in V-formation and the little duckling in the back wasn't bright enough.

Oh. right.... replacing the oem headlight bulb with a Sylvania made things a lot brighter!&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

mine i got mini fogs and mounted them under my tree's there is a thread a few down that has pictures of them

Old 06-27-2008, 04:38 PM
mwaldrop
5th Gear

I have the Lindby Linbar crash bars on my 03 Wide Glide. I mounted the large Kuryakyn Silver Bullets on the crash bar just beneath the right angle downturn. They are very bright and light up the road well. They are also the lower mount that some of the guys prefer. I tried mounting them on the forks just under the triple tree but they hit the crash bars and restricted my turning ability. I bought the 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 p-clamps and they look pretty good. PM me and I'll post pictures if you are interested.
&nbsp\\;
I don't like how I ran the wires and haven't taken time to run them inside the crash bars but I may. I also used Kuryakyn's relay and can't use the driving lights with the headlight on low beam. I always keep it on high so it hasn't been a problem yet.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:53 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

One good headlightlight on a Dyna with a good bright bulb. Any more lights (in my opinion now) just don't look right.(on a dyna).
I keep my highbeams on all the time during the day and that helps. Maybe the guy was just bustin your chops coz you had a real mo'sickle.
&nbsp\\;A Dyna...

Old 06-27-2008, 06:04 PM
dougm1950
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: puddle jumper

Harley sells a light kit that mounts to the engine guard p/n 68913-98b. Both lamps are 55w and are very bright . I&nbsp\\;ran my wires inside the bar for a cleaner look. Everything needed in box. Ran relay wire to other hot wire not low beam so&nbsp\\;I can operate driving lights while main light is high or low.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
+1 - has a very distinct look and makes you a lot more noticeable.&nbsp\\;Looks different than driving lights since they are mounted lower on the bike.