Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hill Country Custom Ape hangers - What they don't tell you.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 AM
dogface
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hill Country Custom Ape hangers - What they don't tell you.

I recently purchased a 2006 Wide Glide. Mint condition, all stock, low miles and good price. I could use this bike as they platform to customize the way I always wanted but could not afford. I always wanted 16 inch apes. Considering my options and unsure if I could design this myself, I decided to spend the big bucks and use the Hill Country Customs complete set up.
I paid extra for Wild 1's chubby apes. Total cost around $900. I could have done this much less expensive but did not want the hassle since this was my first install.
When I received the bars they looked great. I had the bike already disassembled, seat, tank, air cleaner, pipes etc. removed as I am replacing them to. Much to my surprise, the bars did not fit the risers. The 1-1/4 bars reduced to 1 inch at the risers, but the stock bars were a full 1-1/4. I could not get through to HCC so I called Wild 1. They suggested riser adapters. Using these would require me to disassemble the pre-wired connections, feed the wires through the opening on the adapter and then reassemble the connectors. This would defeat the purpose of the fact that I spent the big bucks for an easy install as I would have to do all of this work.
The next day Freddie from HCC called me back. He said I should not use the adapter because this is like using a clamp on a clamp. I explained I paid big bucks for an easy install and it should be plug and play as they advertise. I told him I wanted him to work with me and make good on this. He denied any responsibility stating I should have known. I told him I was not a mechanic and relied on their supposed expertise to fit the bike correctly. If I had the knowledge I would have pieced it together much cheaper. His remedy was to try to sell me new risers and clamp at full price but offered to waive the shipping. After much debate he tried to make it out that it was my responsibility to make sure they send right set-up. I gave them the year, model and even sent a few pictures in addition to e-mails and phone calls before the order was complete. I told him I would share my experience on the forum if he did not remedy this. He laughed it off and told me to go right ahead.
Ultimately, I had to eat the cost of new risers, clamp and bushings. Almost another $200 dollars on top of what I already spent. Plus more work. I ended up getting Wild 1 Chubby parts to keep the "fat look" consistent. He wanted to sell me some cheap garbage HCC parts at full price.
After having every thing disassembled and going through the run around to get the parts I needed, I would recommend to do it yourself. Even if you decide it is something you cannot handle, stay away from these guys. They screw up, you pay more. Freddie and HCC can keep their free shipping and find another sucker. They will never get another penny from me.

The following users liked this post:
Jared Chambers (03-24-2021)
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Chasespeed
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, i found both 1" and 1.25" bars and risers listed for the 06 WG.

1" is the TYPICAL STOCK bar for a Harley. If you have something other than the typical, I will agree, it's your responsibility.

Buy a set of risers and be done with it. I didn't even know a 1.25" in bar was available on the WG until I looked it up.

Chase

Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 AM
mojo6677
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a fat Bob 2012. When I switched out my drag bars to apes I had to switch out the risers to because of the same reason. If you have a service manual it would of told you your specs for the bars and risers. And you would of known to buy risers also. It's not HCC fault, in my opinion. But an easy fix would be to just buy a set of risers. Would look better anyways if you go with 2" risers instead of of the stock size of 5" ( I believe the rise is 5") .

Old 02-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 741 Likes on 410 Posts

Sorry dude, I got to agree with the other guys. Its your responsibility to know what you have.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:42 AM
emerican19
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow you gave them $1100 for bars that you had to install yourself, you showed them!

Lol if you were so pissed why didn't you return the bars and get your money back? You paid way too much and spent way too much time for something that should be a fraction of the cost.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emerican19
Wow you gave them $1100 for bars that you had to install yourself, you showed them!

Lol if you were so pissed why didn't you return the bars and get your money back? You paid way too much and spent way too much time for something that should be a fraction of the cost.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,357 Likes on 967 Posts

I agree with everyone else..I feel it's your ( the bike owners ) responibilty to order the correct parts. How was HHC to know if your bike was stock or not..for that matter do you even know? I am getting ready to order bars for my 05 Fat Boy from HCC And I am fully aware that unforeseen issues come up when changing any vehicle from stock to custom

Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 PM
Ncdyna925
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol sorry man it's your responsibility to know what you got in there and what you need. Never rely on anyone else with your parts only rely on yourself or this kind of stuff will happen. But I woulnt say it's HCC fault, it's yours. And like emerican19 said, why didn't you just return em?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:13 PM
gadianton3
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the op. He gave them (hcc) every bit of info that he had. He paid their rip off price & then they were jerks to him when he had a problem. They probably wouldn't let him return the kit without some 16% restocking fee. I would have still sent them back and just ordered off amazon. Thanks to this thread I'll stay clear of hcc & there over priced bars. If I want to pay that much I'll just go to the dealer and have them do it.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:17 PM
izzyryder
Road Warrior
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dogface
I recently purchased a 2006 Wide Glide. Mint condition, all stock, low miles and good price. I could use this bike as they platform to customize the way I always wanted but could not afford. I always wanted 16 inch apes. Considering my options and unsure if I could design this myself, I decided to spend the big bucks and use the Hill Country Customs complete set up. I paid extra for Wild 1's chubby apes. Total cost around $900. I could have done this much less expensive but did not want the hassle since this was my first install. When I received the bars they looked great. I had the bike already disassembled, seat, tank, air cleaner, pipes etc. removed as I am replacing them to. Much to my surprise, the bars did not fit the risers. The 1-1/4 bars reduced to 1 inch at the risers, but the stock bars were a full 1-1/4. I could not get through to HCC so I called Wild 1. They suggested riser adapters. Using these would require me to disassemble the pre-wired connections, feed the wires through the opening on the adapter and then reassemble the connectors. This would defeat the purpose of the fact that I spent the big bucks for an easy install as I would have to do all of this work. The next day Freddie from HCC called me back. He said I should not use the adapter because this is like using a clamp on a clamp. I explained I paid big bucks for an easy install and it should be plug and play as they advertise. I told him I wanted him to work with me and make good on this. He denied any responsibility stating I should have known. I told him I was not a mechanic and relied on their supposed expertise to fit the bike correctly. If I had the knowledge I would have pieced it together much cheaper. His remedy was to try to sell me new risers and clamp at full price but offered to waive the shipping. After much debate he tried to make it out that it was my responsibility to make sure they send right set-up. I gave them the year, model and even sent a few pictures in addition to e-mails and phone calls before the order was complete. I told him I would share my experience on the forum if he did not remedy this. He laughed it off and told me to go right ahead. Ultimately, I had to eat the cost of new risers, clamp and bushings. Almost another $200 dollars on top of what I already spent. Plus more work. I ended up getting Wild 1 Chubby parts to keep the "fat look" consistent. He wanted to sell me some cheap garbage HCC parts at full price. After having every thing disassembled and going through the run around to get the parts I needed, I would recommend to do it yourself. Even if you decide it is something you cannot handle, stay away from these guys. They screw up, you pay more. Freddie and HCC can keep their free shipping and find another sucker. They will never get another penny from me.
So you feel that because don't know what you are doing and didn't order the part you needed it's their fault?

Dude not for nothing incompetence is not an excuse. Sure it sucks but you blaming them is juvenile.

I have no affiation or love for HCC so just throwing that out there.

Good luck with the install.

Quick Reply: Hill Country Custom Ape hangers - What they don't tell you.