Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 01:18 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Touring on a Wide Glide?

Rebel Ryder,
Thanks for the info. Can you lean on your bag?

Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave, sorry for being so late on this one, I have the Dowco Rally Pack, less than $90 and can fit alot of crap in there. Found a lot of bags at shadetreepowersports.com.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:31 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Ryder, thost T-bags are $$$ for the same or less quality of cheaper bags.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:10 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: BigJfxdwg

Hey Dave, sorry for being so late on this one, I have the Dowco Rally Pack, less than $90 and can fit alot of crap in there. Found a lot of bags at shadetreepowersports.com.
Thanks for the info.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:13 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding windshields--I am 6'1". Bought my '02 Superglide on ebay, andhad a 325 mile ride home with the compact detachable windshield already on the bike. It did not give me nearly enough wind protection for that distance. I found a used convertible windshield (part #91849-85C) that is much better. 350+ mile days no problem with it.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:37 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Regarding what sethman said, look in the phone book or on-line for Regal plastics in your town or close by, they will duplicate your original shield or make it a bit larger or smaller at your request for about half the money. My buddy had two made, one in clear and one in the amber tint for about a hundred bucks for both-----jack

Old 03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
micg1313
Intermediate

I road from the dragon robbinville nc. to johnstown pa . 600 miles in one day . Seat Mustang wide vintage. Windshield is a must , Ear plugs as well really keeps fatigue down , and my tour pack as a back rest. I will never hang bags on the sides of my wide glide .Cant stand the look . Hope this helps..

Old 03-26-2007, 03:12 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 575 Likes on 346 Posts

Went to Daytona for Bike Week this year (3,200+ miles in 8 days)and have the following equipment/extra's/accessories:

[ol][*]Windshield[*]Fwd Controls w/ heel rests (also use the passenger pegs to rest feet on)[*]Mustang seat w/ back rest[*]Installed heating element in seat (at least one thing was warm on the ride to Bike Week)[/ol]
The biggest thing I find is getting enough sleep. Lack of rest makes me more tired.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:50 PM
Gary_L
Advanced

I want to echo what micg1313 said about ear plugs. If you ride with your ears uncovered, with or without a windshield, ear plugs are essential for comfortable travel.

The wind rushing past your ears is uncomfortable and will cause hearing loss over time.

With plugs, you can hear and enjoy your pipes a lot better. I buy the yellow foam ones made by AOSafety available at Walmart and Lowes.

I wear 'em all the time.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 AM
timdow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a free solution to the original "wind hitting me in the face" problem. I slid my fork tubes down my triple trees 1", then put the top windshield clamps above the trees. Raised it about 2"... just right for me. Bike is just about level now. Doesn't look funky, at least with the windshield installed. I have a long commute, so the windshiled stays on.

Quick Reply: Touring on a Wide Glide?