Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring on a Wide Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:55 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Touring on a Wide Glide?

Get a touring seat......maybe a sissy bar......tool bag for the forks......no problem

Old 03-20-2007, 05:30 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BigJfxdwg,
Which sissy bar bag do you have? I'm interested in a backrest but don't want to sink the dollars into a seat with backrest. I have the HD WG 2up touring seat. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: WdGldDave

BigJfxdwg,
Which sissy bar bag do you have? I'm interested in a backrest but don't want to sink the dollars into a seat with backrest. I have the HD WG 2up touring seat. Thanks in advance.
though you didn't ask me, I'll give you my .02. I would recommend nelson-rigg accessories, I think the quality is unmatched and the stuff is 100% waterproof -no interior liner needed!t-bags are kwrap![:'(]

Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

my longest day has been just over 300 miles (315 I think). I felt pretty beat up from the wind after that, but I don't thint that is specific to a WG. I don't like the windsheild options for pre '06 WG's. (i.e. I don't want the hardware left on the bike when not using the windshield), and I haven't heard anything but complaints about buffeting anyway.
I think a full face or 3/4 with face shield goes a long way towards being able to do the longer days - for me at least... every post in this thread is relating personal experiences and preferences... non of which is fact for the other person.

I think with the leg position of WG's and any other model with forward controls, a backrest is more essential than with other models (not that they aren't great in any case).

Seats are huge. I did a couple hundred miles on a stock seat during a rental and knew I would need to upgrade. I initially planned on a Mustang, but the sales guy talked me into an upgraded HD seat... that was a good seat for me, but the wife didn't do so well. Just this winter I put a Mustang solo with backrest on for me, and a passenger pillion for her, also got her a wider Mustang backrest. We have taken a very short ride so far on the new seat, she knew right away there was a major improvement.

I have not done any over night traveling yet. The wife and I have a four day excursion planned for this summer, and I can't wait. With the new seat, everything should be just right. I have a medium sized Tbag for the back... no saddle bags. We won't be camping, so I don't need a bunch of that crap. If we can't fit a few days clothes and her necessities in that bag, then we don't need what won't fit.

Long term goal is to work up the mulit day experience to make it over and do a SW tour (southern Utah, Northern AZ), and then eventually we want to go to Sturgis just to say we did it.... this will all be done on the WG

Old 03-20-2007, 05:48 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

single? sleeping bag ,double?her

Old 03-21-2007, 01:00 AM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I'm really tired of these posts with "Wide Glide" in the title. Enough already. (ha ha ha....BOB)

Old 03-21-2007, 03:54 AM
timdow
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with thrillseeker on the FF helmet or 3/4 with visor. Windshield helps a ton. Better seat, ditto. Something to lean against... good. Someone to lean against.... priceless.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:14 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

I have put many 400 mile days on my bike both 1 up and 2 up..and some weekends were we touched 1k.

As was said, you can configure a Dyna to tour but it will probably never be as ultimately comfortable as a touring bike.

I use a sundowner seat, tall sissy bar w/ Heritage backrest, HD bags, HD windsheild, offset passenger peg extensions and forward controls.........there is more you can do than that.

Versatility is the hallmark of the Dyna line pure and simple.....

I'll get a geezer glide for sure but my Lowrider will always be in the pack.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

3 days of a 5 day trip I put about 1600ish mls on it. I love it.

After about 8 hours it starts to get to me though.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 PM
signal
Cruiser

setting mine up for a trip as well. which windshields are you guys using on the wg? where does the wind hit you? how tall are you?

Quick Reply: Touring on a Wide Glide?