Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought My First Bike 02 Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007 | 11:53 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Default RE: Bought My First Bike 02 Wide Glide

Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the Forum.

Come hang out in the softail forum...we're much cooler than these freaky springed up looking guys in here.

Old 03-19-2007 | 12:02 AM
Aroberts
|
Tourer

I think I did one of the better moves in my life so far at the age of 27. I am too late for the beginner class, they are all full in my area. My plan is to go to a few anyway and see if I can "Walk on". If not I will just take the road test to get my liscense and take the class next year.

I already have some idea's of what I want to do, chrome handle grips, forward controls, Maybe some new bars eventually, etc. I am VERY excited to get on her for the first time and go for a ride. I hope to have it in Boise in 2 weeks.

Until I get used to the Dyna Glide section I better not wander, ha-ha.

Old 03-19-2007 | 12:35 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

She's so pure. It's nice to see a stock 02. Take your time figuring things out. Remember, don't hotrod it as you are getting to know the bike. There is a lot of engine there. The wide glide's specialty is cruising. You are going to love that bike. How many miles? You already have a few upgrades: the fender rack, the extra pegs for the passenger, saddlebags and pipes. Are those the vance and hines straightshots?

Old 03-19-2007 | 03:52 AM
vincent21212
Advanced

check this out dude. Ive never rode a harley in my LIFE before I bought my 07 Wide GLide Last Month. I put extended forward controls, longshot pipes and Stage I on it b4 they delivered it to my house. When I started it up, I asked myself "How the hell am I going to learn how to ride this thing without ****ing up?". I was also told not to spend 20grand on a harley as a first bike, especially a Wide Glide... I learned its ins and outs in2 days after about 80 miles. I love my WG. BTW Im 6 foot 8 and 240 and the bike holds up perfectly.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23079/9525ADDAA57C4F83ACDA90DF3FF44533.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-19-2007 | 11:19 AM
Aroberts
|
Tourer

Thanks every one for thier help. I do feel alot better after reading these posts. My size does give me an advantage so I feel good about that.

I am thinking its going to be alot easier than I am making it out to be. After 10 trips around the block I should feel good enough to start exploring around the city streets.

Thanks and I will keep you updated when I recieve my bike.

Adam

Old 03-19-2007 | 11:24 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: WdGldDave

She's so pure. It's nice to see a stock 02. Take your time figuring things out. Remember, don't hotrod it as you are getting to know the bike. There is a lot of engine there. The wide glide's specialty is cruising. You are going to love that bike. How many miles? You already have a few upgrades: the fender rack, the extra pegs for the passenger, saddlebags and pipes. Are those the vance and hines straightshots?
Those DO look like V&H Straightshots. Same as I have on mine, and interestingly enough, my heat shields are starting to blue out in the same place his is.

Aroberts - grats on the new bike. My own Harley is an 02 DWG that I bought used in July 06. I couldn't have asked for a better bike. I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs. I have dropped it once but it's my first bike and I was doing something stupid. Don't grab too muchfront brake on angled inclines. It will go over on you if you can't leverage that longer front end. My bags and foot pegs caught it, no damage. Could have been worse.

Since you have the bags, and the pipes, may want to look into a stage 1 air cleaner kit and carb-rejetting or fuel mapping if it isn't already done.

Function over style my friend. I'm looking into new pegs and stuff but I just keep finding other things that enhance the ride more. A quick detach windshield may be right up your alley too.

Nice looking bike. Same paint scheme as mine. Enjoy the heck out of it.

Old 03-19-2007 | 11:53 AM
Aroberts
|
Tourer

Here is what my friend sent me, this helps explain alot of what you are all saying. This is coming fromabuddy who is a Harley Tech

"2002 fxdwg. the first few pics are small chip on front of tank, rear fender, crease on front fender, and scratched derby cover. thats all i could see cosmetically wrong with it. rode it around town and runs great. motor sounds good, and pipes sound bitchin. rear pipe is a little blued, but sometimes you can polish it out.the guy who owned it before was actually a harley tech, and i can tell he kept it up really well. seat thats on it is a touring seat and also comes with stock seat. she also has a T-bag that straps on the back luggage rack, not sure how big but theyre usually around $200. bike has brand new tires and brakes, stage 1 carb kit, and vance & hines stagered dual pipes, bobtail fender rack, and over the fender saddle bags, otherwise pretty much stock.

I didn't want a new bike but something I can learn on and make it mine. I did get it for $10,500 so I think I did good on the price too.

You guys know your stuff, Exactly what you were all saying.

I can't wait until I am 100% comfotable on it and I can start going for rides up in the mountians.

Adam

Old 03-19-2007 | 03:56 PM
Mako Shark
Advanced

You did fine on that price.
I added risers to my 2000 to raise the handlebars up about 3.5". I didn't have to change cables or anything and really enjoy that height. I have a touring seat on mine and v&h staggered pipes on mine too. When you get comfortable with it, get a 95" kit put on it, man what a difference!
Good luck and enjoy the ride!!!

Old 03-19-2007 | 06:05 PM
Aroberts
|
Tourer

I have read a little on shifting gears but the new harleys are 6 speeds. What MPH range should I be shifting in a 5 speed bike. My biggest concern is downshifting too early. Whatever range I should be shifting is that the same for upshifting and down shifting?

Old 03-20-2007 | 04:40 PM
PREACHER
Cruiser

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my 02 WG last year. It was the first bike in 30yrs. I am 60 years old, 5'10" and 220lbs. I just can't get enough of the WG. I put 4000 miles on it last year and I'm hoping for more this year. When I retire in three or four years I plan to get a Street Glide.

Quick Reply: Bought My First Bike 02 Wide Glide