Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Tach

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 PM
The Punisher
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Tach

I was thinking about getting mini tach for my Bob, you know the ones that mount to the handlebar clamps. Any Bob owner have one and if you installed it yourself was it a hard job?

Old 03-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Trotter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mini Tach

Good Question, I'm Also Intersted. I'd love to find a small one to fitBelow the Idiot lights on the console if some one makes a thin one. 2 3/4 would work perfect,I'm looking. Trotter

Old 03-18-2007, 08:52 PM
The Punisher
Banned

ORIGINAL: Trotter

Good Question, I'm Also Intersted. I'd love to find a small one to fitBelow the Idiot lights on the console if some one makes a thin one. 2 3/4 would work perfect,I'm looking. Trotter
Trotter I know if you want one on your console that some people have changed to the Low Rider console on thier bob and move the idiot lights to handlebars. I was wondering if there is a small one that you could just use a holesaw and cut out a hole in the exsisting console and mount it in there. inquiring minds want to know.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Trotter
Banned

Yep! thats my direction, Didnt care for the looks of the low rider conversion, I want to keep my stock console also.. I've got some dealers looking into a tach that will work for this.. I've already got a new console waiting.. I realy dont want anything else on my Handle Bars or any wires coming from there. ( The Cleaner the better) Let me know if ya find anything and I'll do the same.Skip

Old 03-19-2007, 01:12 AM
oldsporty1
Advanced

On the website sportster.org there is a vendor selling a digital tach that is real small, it's flat and about 3/4 of an inch thick if I remember right it sells for about $125.00 you might try there.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:25 AM
oldsporty1
Advanced

Sorry, made a mistake it was'nt on sportster.org, it was on xl forums. Ilooked but could'nt find the vendors name, you might do a seach and come up with his page.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Desert Hog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

On my FXDWG putting the mini tach on was easy. Running the wires back to the ecm pin 3 for the tach pickup and a wire to the fuse panel was a challenge. No room for my hands back behind the fuse panel, even when I loosened it up from the frame.

Anyone know a good way to drain the tank? I made a heck of a mess trying to drain it thru the crossover hose into a funnel into a gas can. by the way, when the low fuel light comes on there is more than 1 gallon left! My one gallon gas can overflowed even though I was dumping gas on floor anyway!

Old 03-19-2007, 11:59 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

check out hooking to the #3 on the speedo. also some did, i couldn't get a signal at eh #3 at the ECU on my '06 WG. finally got it at the speedo. you don't have to pull the tank to do the wires.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:27 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: gman
check out hooking to the #3 on the speedo. also some did, i couldn't get a signal at eh #3 at the ECU on my '06 WG. finally got it at the speedo. you don't have to pull the tank to do the wires.
Speedo pin #3 willNOT work on the Bobs. The WG has a different wiring harness and someone else also had trouble getting a signal at the ECM so apparently the computer is even different. Anyway, the WG *might* even have a pink wire that isn't terminated in the wiring bundle in the dash that might be easier than the speedo pin. But for a Street Bob, you are definitely going to need to wire to the ECM.

On that idea of mounting the tach in the console. . . .those mini tachs are WAY too deep to fit in the console. The big tach is shallow and designed for a console mount. Also, just in terms of functionality, that is a horrible location for a tach. That takes your eyes so far off the road and when you are really getting on it, you need to be able to keep your eyes on the road and do a quick glance at the tach.

Punisher, the best option in my opinion is the Alloy Art stem nut mount tach housing (see the picture). Functionally, it isn't quite as good as a bar mount tach, but itis nice and stealthyand is a decent compromise. Unfortunately, I can't use it on my springer and I have NOT found a place with enough room to use my mini tach. So I have an Alloy Art mount and mini tach I can sell. PM me if you are interested.

Kevin

Old 03-19-2007, 03:33 PM
Trotter
Banned

I have found 2 that are 1" thick so far,Either of them will fit fine. As for the location should'nt be much diffrent then where there mounted on the stockLow Rider. The Wireing is an easy task also.

Quick Reply: Mini Tach