Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for my first service. What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:42 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Marine CorpVeteran: Air Force
Received 850 Likes on 322 Posts

Before putting the oil filter on, I always pour some oil directly into the filter--enough so that if you look in the center of it, it's about a third full. This is probably an old school habit, but I remember being told a long time ago that if you don't do this, it puts old "sump" oil right back into a clean filter right of the bat. FWIW......

Old 01-12-2014, 07:25 AM
suthpaw22
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tutorial! Definitely helpful for someone doing there first oil change. Helps to get an idea of what your looking for and seeing that walkthrough.

Originally Posted by trainedkilla
If you run the synthetic, you can put the same oil in all three holes.

Real easy job.

How to do routine maintenance oil change Harley Davidson Motorcycle | Law Abiding Biker Podcast - YouTube

Watch that video and you will be good to go.

I have done mine without a torque wrench in the past but I would recommend getting one.

Save alot of money!

Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 AM
suthpaw22
Cruiser

Makes sense. I'll keep this in mind for my next oil change.

Originally Posted by daddybones
Before putting the oil filter on, I always pour some oil directly into the filter--enough so that if you look in the center of it, it's about a third full. This is probably an old school habit, but I remember being told a long time ago that if you don't do this, it puts old "sump" oil right back into a clean filter right of the bat. FWIW......

Old 01-12-2014, 07:44 AM
Shipdriver48
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also highly recommend getting a shop (service) manual for your bike. Best $20 (on Amazon) that you will ever spend. Gasket numbers, torque specs for every bolt, fluid quantities, etc. I read mine on the toilet.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Originally Posted by daddybones
There is no logic to that.

The scavenge system is going to pump the oil out of the sump and through the filter, no matter if you have put oil in the filter or not.

The most important thing to remember about installing an oil filter is to be sure the gasket is lubed (dry gasket is the biggest cause of stuck filters).

Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 AM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if you "prefill" the oil filter, before installing, it will build oil pressure faster.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 AM
suthpaw22
Cruiser

A shop manual is going to be my next purchase before I do anything else!! It sucked wanting to do it exactly right and not having that info easily at your disposal.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Shipdriver48
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suthpaw22
A shop manual is going to be my next purchase before I do anything else!! It sucked wanting to do it exactly right and not having that info easily at your disposal.
That's the spirit! You'll be wrenching with confidence in no time!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM
yekans
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shipdriver48
I also highly recommend getting a shop (service) manual for your bike. Best $20 (on Amazon) that you will ever spend. Gasket numbers, torque specs for every bolt, fluid quantities, etc. I read mine on the toilet.
Can you post a link to manual on Amazon that you're referencing? I see Clymer and Haynes manuals in the low $30s but no MoCo manuals other than used in the $60s.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM
suthpaw22
Cruiser

Originally Posted by yekans
Can you post a link to manual on Amazon that you're referencing? I see Clymer and Haynes manuals in the low $30s but no MoCo manuals other than used in the $60s.

Thanks.
Couldn't find it either

Quick Reply: Time for my first service. What do I need?