Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairing woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 08:19 PM
tfalcon
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fairing woes

So I finally find a fairing that I really like and the damn thing wont fit with my bars. (modified og arlen ness) I have a 2013 street bob with the stock drag bars...basically fat bob risers with a 1" spacer jims spacer and a narrow flanders drag bar. The risers aren't high enough and the fairing hits the bars. Looks like I would need at least a 10" T-bar to run the fairing. While I would like to do a Tbar, I'm really not up for changing all my lines/cables, and to be honest I like my current bar set up. So I'm gonna try to sell the fairing (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post12177539) and try something else. My next choice would be the conely's retro/HD fairing. this one looks like ti sits away from the bars enough so it shouldn't hit. I'm also worried about my blinkers. Since my bars are narrow I don't want them to end up behind the fairing. Which is why I think the MS Gauntlet might not work...altho I haven't seen enough pics of it to see how far away from the bars it is.

Any suggestions? I know the easy route would be just to change the bars or relocate the signals, but like I said I like the way they are set up now. I'm super bummed that the damn OG ness didn't work.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed my 2012 stock bars to 12 inch tbars with no cable change.

Also, I don't know what color your bike is, but I have an HD Quarter fairing for sale in the classifieds in black with the 49mm bung king adapter kit already attached.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:22 PM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spacing on the fairing from the side view if you wanted to know what to expect from an HD, imagine Conely's would mount in a similar fashion.

Attached Thumbnails fairing woes-bike.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Thanks for the pic. That one would deff work. My bike came with the fat Bob bars and risers so it has all the shorter cables too. So to change the bars I'd have to change all of the cables too.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 AM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Street Bob's don't come stock with drag bars, they come stock with 10" mini apes. I'm confused...

Old 01-09-2014, 09:03 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman1224
Street Bob's don't come stock with drag bars, they come stock with 10" mini apes. I'm confused...
With the H-D1 factory order option, buyers had the choice of drag bars, standard (SGC style) or 10" apes. Although they leave plenty of wires, the cables and brake line are made for whichever bars.

Of course buyers can have stuff done at pre-delivery too. I had 16" apes from delivery, with cables to match.

Tfalcon,
I know you don't want to change bars, but if you do, consider MX bars on Forbidden risers. MX bars can be bought with various bends. Mine are almost flat across like drag bars. 9" forbidden risers and low MX bars might work with your setup.

I have to say, riding the apes for a year and then changing to flat rigid bars was eye opening. Ni can understand why you don't want to lose your drag bars. My 1 1/4" apes seemed really rigid, but the MX bars demonstrated a huge improvement in bar flex during aggressive riding.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i have a SICK set of custom risers and bars for sale if you are intrested in making a change for your fairing

Old 01-09-2014, 05:37 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Yes my bike came with drag bars and forward controls thru the HD1 order.

Any way I had a vision last night and I tried something out today and I think I made some headway. A while back I had turned my risers around to push the bars forward a little to give me a little more room. Well I did that with the stock bars and never changed it back after I changed the bars. So I decided to turn them back to see if that would give me a little more room and I think it worked. I also ended up adding a washer under the headlight lift block to give a little more room there. I think I might have it now. Next day off I'm gonna pull everything back off and get the headlight aimed in the correct position and go from there. Here are a couple of pics with it mocked up. It's installed very loosely but should give an idea of how it'll look once I work all the bugs out. Tell me what you think? I would really like to ditch the red wheels for some black mags but I really don't have the money for that right now.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:14 PM
highwayman1224
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks really nice! The seat looks sharp too.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:40 AM
tfalcon
Tourer

Update.

I took everything off in order to get my headlight aimed correctly. I ride at night pretty often so I wanted to make sure I was going to be able to see. So after I did that I remounted the fairing. Now since I had to aim the headlight up I now have a gap around the fairing and the headlight. I can't tilt it back any further due to it hitting the brake master cylinder and the clutch line on the other side. Hopefully the gap won't mess with the effectiveness of the fairing. I don't think it's 100% straight, but it's good enough. Someone would really have to sit there and study it to see where it's off a little bit. Should be able to get a test ride in tomorrow as it's raining right now. Hopefully I'll like it. I'd hate to have done all of this only to find it makes highway riding worse.

Quick Reply: fairing woes