Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer labor charge of Stage 1 ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 02:43 PM
greg3131
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dealer labor charge of Stage 1 ?

Going to buy SE slip-ons and kit on-line. What have you guys paid the stealer to do the
labor? Thanks
Greg 07 streetbob

Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Dirtrace95
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dealer labor charge of Stage 1 ?

Buy the mufflers and put them on yourself, dealer 60-70 and hr.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:53 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

I negotiated the installation of the Thunderheader, the SE air cleaner and the PowerCommander III into my purchase but the paperwork showed the affair as three hours! I have no idea if that is the going time dealers normally charge but am sure glad I didn't have to pay it for basically bolt-on parts.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:13 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealers around here are between $54-$60 per hour.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:51 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me, you can do it yourself. Even I handled it without any problems.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:30 AM
hep0950
Tourer

I have already installed the slip ons, (mine were a bitch to get off), and plan to put on the air filter and bring it into the dealer for the download.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

If you're going for a Stage 1 download (arguments can be made for/against that), that should be the only thing for which you pay the stealer's labor. The rest you can do yourself without the risk of really messing up anything. It truly is a bolt-on upgrade. That being said, the download is a rip-off at $150 when all they do is plug a computer in and press 'Enter'. When I say "ripoff", I mean the labor involved. The download itself is debateable.

Whiff

Old 03-18-2007, 03:28 AM
dynarider
Advanced

Well it's been about 3 years ago that I got my Stage 1 and it was around $800 which included SE air cleaner, SE II Slip-ons and the computer download, and probably included an oil change (don't remember). I live in Northern CA and the Stealer here charges $85 hr.!!! Ouch!

I've been learning to do a lot of the work myself needless to say lately and I've gotten to know my bike better andI'm comfortable with theresults.I used an Indy shop to do the 95" KitI recently had done which could not be done by the Stealer anyway becausethey couldn't install the components I wanted due to EPA crack downs on the dealers. So my advice is do what you can yourself and save $$$ or find an Indy shop who can help. :-)

Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 AM
TOMMAY
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all,check to see if your dealer will even install parts that you didn't buy there.

Secondly,even if you bought the intake and SE pipes at the dealer and had the stage I download done you likely won't be satisfied with the way the bike runs.

My advice,for what it's worth,is to buy and install the intake,pipes and a PCIII or other programmer of your choice,spend 250 to 350 for a dyno tune and don't waste your money on the stage I download.

Good Luck

Tom

Old 03-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

+1 on avoiding the HD Download and puttting that money towards a PC III.

If you go the PC III route you can also save labor by going to PC's website and using their little USB cord they supply to download your own setting directly from PC.

When you figure that the PC III install is basicall a plug not, not even a bolt on, consider the cost of the dealership download ... the PC III is the far away winner not only int he performance catagory, the future flexibility catagory but is not even so bad int he cost catagory.

BTW: I do not own stock or have any affiliation whatsoever with PowerCommander but have used it on the past couple of bikes and have been saticfied. Don'y know much about the SERT except that it makes you go to the Stealership which is osmething I tru to avoid.

Quick Reply: Dealer labor charge of Stage 1 ?