Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Modulator Installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Question Headlight Modulator Installation

I have asked tis question in another thread that was 2 years old so I will ask it as a stand alone question as well. Has anyone installed the Custom Dymmamics Headlight Modulator and wiring harness in a 5 3/4" headlight? I asked the HD dealer and they said it would fit. The instructions do not state that any part of the module or wiring harness has to be outside of the headligt bucket. I tried to install it but the headlight just doesn't quite go in far enough to get the bezel back in place.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:47 PM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharpie if you don't mind i want to rant here. We had a gentleman in the club the road with one them things on his scooter. We made him ride last after a few times of cars at intersections thinking he was flashing his headlight to let them know they could pull out. I think there far more dangerous then good. Ok done ranting but i just wanted to say that before some one get's killed over them.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:52 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Would not ride a bike without them

To answer the OP's question, No I have not installed a Custom Dynamics Headlight Modulator inside of my headlight. Custom Dynamics does not make these and is only a retailer but Signal Dynamics does make the model Diamond Star Headlight Modulator you are referring to. I installed mine under the back frame with a switch to turn the power On/Off before it gets to the modulator. I ran the "eye" to my oil tank lip and drilled a hole. It is the same size as my other Perko 701 switches and is a clean switch panel. I have been using mine all of the time for daytime riding as it is imposable to use at night with the light detector eye and also illegal.

I would not ride a bike without them. I use the small headlamps aka "Passing lamp position" and I am 100% sure they increase my chances staying alive, the point.

If anyone ever bitches at something I do, than I would never ride with them. The idea of riding is to have the freedom to do what you want.

Last edited by FastHarley; 01-07-2014 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to add pictures
Old 01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You are right it is Signal Dynamics Diamond Star. I should have said from Custom Dynamics. I believe I would prefer to get someone's attention with the modulating headlight so maybe they will not pull out into my path as opposed to my not being very visible and they pull out into my path thinking that nothing is coming. Just had two friends (husband and wife) die 3 months ago from someone saying they didn't see them and crossed their path. I can't say anymore without being super sarcastic.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:32 AM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe I would prefer to get someone's attention with the modulating headlight so maybe they will not pull out into my path as opposed to my not being very visible and they pull out into my path thinking that nothing is coming.
Exactly. However, modulating headlights do seem like you're letting the driver know he can swerve in front of ya, or that he can cross in an intersection (often traffic lights fail here in my country and it's up to the driver/rider who gets to pass first, and usually the headlight is what's used to communicate.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Riding a motorcycle is risky, no doubt about it.
Some modulators allow you to modulate the low beam or the high beam. IMO, I think the low beam should be the only light allowed to modulate. There seems to be alot of confusion for cagers when the high beam is modulating.
I have the HD modulator which only uses the low beam and only dims it 4x per second. It gets me noticed but has not sent the wrong message to cagers............yet.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

They will still try to kill you.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by latrobedyna
Sharpie if you don't mind i want to rant here. We had a gentleman in the club the road with one them things on his scooter. We made him ride last after a few times of cars at intersections thinking he was flashing his headlight to let them know they could pull out. I think there far more dangerous then good. Ok done ranting but i just wanted to say that before some one get's killed over them.
Sounds like a bunch of B S. First of all, they are made to turn the flashing function on or off with the high beam switch, so your buddy could have flipped one switch and ridden anywhere in the group. Or he could have covered the daylight sensor with something like a piece of tape, and the light would not flash.
Second, nobody's going to mistake a light which flashes continuously, at a rate of 3 times per second, for a "permission signal". Nor have I ever read or heard of anyone who uses one having that happen. When the issue is raised, it's always by some guy who has never used one, speculating.

I rode for a season with a modulator on one bike, and was so impressed with the improvement in visibility and fewer close calls, that I installed one on the other bike. Never never never had anyone pull out in front of us (although I had it happen before installing the modulator). The only issue has been that on a couple of occasions, someone in front of us has pulled over, mistaking it for an emergency vehicle. Is that a problem? Heck no! It's actually kind of amusing, and makes it obvious as can be that we were noticed.

For those with small headlight buckets, Kisan makes an ultra-small one.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 01-08-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:21 PM
Mr.Bluster
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree about being seen. I went with a blue halo headlight and surrounded that with an LED bezel. Am thinking of adding some flashing LED Glow lights (white) on the engine which ought to be visible even in daylight.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bluster
Agree about being seen. I went with a blue halo headlight and surrounded that with an LED bezel. Am thinking of adding some flashing LED Glow lights (white) on the engine which ought to be visible even in daylight.
Check the laws in your state before you install other kinds of flashing lights. Many (most?) are not legal, with the exception of turn signals and the modulating headlight. The modulating headlight is legal in all states, by Federal law, and also in Canada.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modulator Installation