Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discussion: Two-up riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 10:29 AM
Sonny's World
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion: Two-up riding

I don't know how you guys can do it...

When I first got into riding (around 1985) I had several smaller Japanese bikes and never thought twice about putting someone on the back.

I got married in 1990 and my wife never expressed any interest on hopping on the back of any of the bikes I had throughout the early years of our marriage.

I got my Harley in 2007 and not long after my wife said, "When are you going to take me for a ride?"

So one Saturday, she got on the back of my badlander seat and we went for a short ride to the local HD dealer.

When we arrived, she "made me" buy a sissy bar.

A couple of rides later she decides, "I want to learn how to ride."

She took the PA Safety Course, got her license, and bought a NEW Honda Shadow... all in about a 3 month period.

I've NEVER owned a new bike...

Anyway, I would occasionally still ride two-up with her or with either of my two teenage kids.

Of course I've had my share of close calls on motorcycles as I'm sure we've all had, but one day it hit me...

Although I was willing to take my life in my own hands with the inherent dangers of riding a motorcycle (being at the mercy of the cars and trucks on the road)... I was absolutely no longer willing to... "take anyone else with me"... if you know what I mean.

Without much hesitation, I switched to a solo seat and removed the passenger pegs. I also sold the badlander seat and sissy bar soon thereafter.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thoughts or comments...

PS: The Honda Shadow was replaced a year or so later by an 883 Hugger

Old 12-31-2013, 10:53 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a thought....
Sounds to me like an excuse to be selfish.

I don't plan to get hurt on the bike,m so I never think that way, I always think about staying alert so it does not happen. In 45+ years of riding I have had one accident with a passenger, I still enjoy riding 2up and would never think to give it up or take that away from my lady as she enjoys it very much as well.

Bottom line though, if that is how you feel then that is how you should ride.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM
FB_DuRoC
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I ride two up for country rides. I wouldn't put my wife or daughter on the back and then go cruising through a city. Like you I've had close calls by myself.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:57 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Thats great your wife got hooked on riding. My X took one ride and never got on it again. My current ol really enjoys riding with me, I would be nervous as hell if she was riding her own bike

Old 12-31-2013, 11:00 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Life is a risk. My wife rides with me sometimes, and the only thought that crosses my mind if we crash and burn is if she gets killed and I don't. I would have a hard time living with that, but we still ride.

We both would rather die while living then to live without living.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,458 Likes on 2,781 Posts

My wife took the lessons to learn how to ride but never passed the test. So she kinda knows how to ride, but no license and no bike. When she was taking the lessons I started getting really stressed about her riding her own bike and possibly getting hurt. I feel safer having her with me then out there by herself. Just my opinion and maybe I am being overly protective. If we ever had went for a ride together and I witnessed someone cutting her off etc, I think I really would lose it on the cage driver. And I would be stressed and not enjoying the entire ride.

Ultimately I was happy when she decided it wasn't for her, and we happily go everywhere we can 2-up.

PS I still want a solo seat on my WG, but that is another story

Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Two Word Answer

Life Insurance!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im still working on the wife she is afraid of motorcycles, life is to short I want some company when I ride

Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

comfort is key! the more confortable she is back there the longer we will ride. I pop on the sundowner, full back rest or trunk, shield or fairing, and we roll, or she will jsut take her own bike. I love riding with my wife we used to ride all over the country on my bikes when we first met so it is a good time to get some us time

I hate that my wife has her own bikes... scares the hell out of me when we are riding to the point where it is not even fun. guys pulling up along side her to check her out or the bike, sweving at her, just a cluster ****. i hate it

old one from when all of us local forum guys met up to go to the HD musuem

and yes before it is said, we are a helmet family now

Old 12-31-2013, 11:22 AM
JMummery
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your story and your ways are yours and no one can take them away

However everyone has their own and to me my wife loves being on the back of the bike. Just one question i have to ask, do you feel the same way having her sit in the passenger seat while driving? Ya i know cars/trucks have more safety features but death still circles them too. Needless to say you can get hurt/die from anything.. Walking/running/riding or driving.. and for me if i/we go i might as well do it riding with the person i love the most. Just my food for thought and am not trying to talk down to anyone else out there.

Quick Reply: Discussion: Two-up riding