Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013 | 08:46 AM
rasmukri
|
Tourer
Default No Windshield?

I see a ton of pictures on here of people without a windshield and I just wonder, am I missing something? I have a windvest on my 01 Dyna and I took it off once because it looks so much nicer w/o one. I just did a short ride to the store (10 miles) and I felt the whole time I was about to be blown off the bike, the wind was killing me. Is it just something you get used to?

Old 12-30-2013 | 08:54 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Supporter

I have 2 windshields for my Super Glide (HD quick detach and a Windvest) and they both collect dust. (Windvest is for sale in the classifieds...) I can't handle the buffeting from either of them. My beard flies straight forward and up in front of my mouth, and it drives me nuts. Plenty of people rave about the Windvest but for whatever reason it didn't work for me. I don't mind at all not having a windshield, unless its raining or really cold. I never got used to having one, so I guess I didn't have to get used to not having one. I get more air pressure on my chest without the shield, but its smoother and not as turbulent.

Old 12-30-2013 | 08:55 AM
deano360
Road Warrior

no windsheild on our bikes, i would like one but dont really like the looks.. but there is something said for the wind in the face, it is something that you do get used to.. i would like to have the protection of the windshield from the bugs and dust that gets picked-up as well as birds that i have been hit with, and i think a fairing, like the batwing is the way i will end up going

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:12 AM
Lockshow
Cruiser

You get used to it. Looks before comfort IMO

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:13 AM
jpicht
Tourer
Default Windshield/no Windshield

I have an HD quick-detache windshield that I use sparingly. It really helps in the winter when the wind is really cold. However, I leave it at home most times during the Spring, Fall, and especially the summer. I like the wind when I'm riding. If I am riding for an extended time, I use earplugs.

I used to feel the same about the wind (feeling it was blowing me off the back of the bike). However, when I added my Mustang Wide Tripper Solo w/backrest, that feeling disappeared. Some ride with a Full face helmet to defeat the wind noise.

It all comes down to you and how you handle the wind.

My advice: get a seat with a backrest and see if that solves the wind problem. It did with me.No Windshield?-dsc01609.jpg

No Windshield?-dsc01608.jpg

No Windshield?-dsc01607.jpg

No Windshield?-dsc01606.jpg

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:17 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master

Unfortunately old age caught up with me. A windshield and helmet were for pussies when I started riding. Because of the helmet laws I started wearing a beanie, now I have a full face because the wind trashes my eyes. I started to really suffer on long rides with wind fatigue. I have a Windvest now, but agree with the last post, at some point I will get a fairing. I miss the old wind in the face, but feel grateful to still be riding at 61.

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:46 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain

Detachable windshield is a great way to go....I use it on long trips with the wife, and during the winter cold....other times it sits. You get used to the wind...and as some have suggested...use ear plugs (or music earbuds with the vent hole plugged).

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:55 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

I used to always say I would never put a windshield on any bike I had...until I bought one for my last bike about 4 years ago. Once I rode with it on, I rarely took it off. When I bought my current bike (FXDC) I bought the Super Sport QD windshield for it & rarely ride without it now. I do take it off in the summer sometimes, but I just prefer it on for protection from the bugs in the summer & wind the rest of the year. Bike looks much better without it, but the benefits of having it on outweigh the looks for me.

Old 12-30-2013 | 10:24 AM
BFDHD14
Cruiser

Ill never put a windshield on my bob unless they make a really good looking one. Like someone else said looks before comfort...Thats why you have a back up touring bike!

Old 12-30-2013 | 11:16 AM
Dynam1te
Road Warrior

BFDHD14, that is one sweet lookin bob. I dont know that I've seen that dark blue before...

As far as wind goes, depends on how you ride I guess. I do a lot of high speed freeway riding so having a quarter fairing on is awesome. Keeps those 90mph bugs and rocks off my face. I do love the full fresh wind tho, so I take it off a lot as well. Thats one nice things about our bikes, you can change stuff on em all the time.

Quick Reply: No Windshield?