Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014 | 01:34 PM
fullswedge
Cruiser

Originally Posted by toku58
I was just like you! Was it he Harley windsheild? The buffeting drove me nuts! I wanted to run the damn thing over with my truck.
But I realized that it was a design flaw. So I fixed it.
Now the windsheild is great! It looked like a plexi snow plow on the front of my bike, but now it's 100x better then before. Now it actually diverts the wind up and over, rather then pushing it.

I'd ride it either way. But if given a choice I rather ride with the sheild! Much more enjoyable.

I hate the idiots who try and make subtle hints that you're somehow less of a pure rider if you use a windsheild. Or somehow they're more manly if they ride without one. BS!!
That would be like a ridgid frame guy telling a dyna rider he's somehow a better person?! (Because he had 4 back injuries )
What did you do to fix it? Right now it's on the ground, in front of my pickup.

Old 02-21-2014 | 02:06 PM
DRabbit
Outstanding HDF Member

Never had one, never plan on getting one.

Old 02-21-2014 | 04:04 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master

I put the windshield on when my wife rides with me, and sometimes when I tour on my Fat Bob. The rest of the time (most of the time) I leave the windshield in the garage.

Old 02-21-2014 | 04:23 PM
MainelyScott
Intermediate

I usually ride without, though if its cold out the windshield does make quite a big difference, so I put it on then. My biggest issue is if I wear a helmet with the windshield on, the buffeting is horrible. On the other hand if the windshield is off, the helmet is not a problem. I have a 3/4 with face shield and a 1/2 helmet, both buffet my head with the windshield on. Mostly I prefer to leave the windshield off, I guess that I just like the feel of the wind in my face.

Old 02-21-2014 | 06:05 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member

What helped me decide to use a windshield on my Dyna was that the previous three Harley's I owned was a Heritage, Street Glide, and Road Glide, all that came with shields, and my riding buddy. He Rides a BMW RT and 85-100 MPH is his average hiway traveling speed. NO way that I could keep up on the nekkid Dyna. I added the HD touring screen and a Laminar Lip to stop the buffeting (and it did). Often we will pass a group of riders all on nekkid bikes traveling at 55 on a 75 road. It's at those times, and the love bug season, that makes me glad that the windshield is in front of me.

Funny but when I was young, now 63, I rode nothing but nekkid bikes and don't remember there being any wind, but as I grew older, it seems God starting adding more wind with each year I rode.

To each his/her own, I say. As long as you are riding and happy, things are wonderful... tomp dd50

Old 02-22-2014 | 01:33 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
. I added the HD touring screen and a Laminar Lip to stop the buffeting (and it did).
Tell me more about this laminar lip, where did you get it?

Old 02-22-2014 | 01:56 AM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by upflying
Tell me more about this laminar lip, where did you get it?
http://www.laminarlip.com/reflex.php

Here's the link. The lip was originally designed for a Honda Reflex, but after giving the Touring screen measurements to Leo at Laminar, he decided that this was the lip with the correct curvature and angle. He was correct. I installed it as per his height instructions and never changed anything.

I did tilt the screen forward several degrees in the top retaining frame screws, and that helped even more. The only wind I get now comes from under the screen and off the mirrors. Both could be corrected if I wanted a real still air pocket, but I'm ok with some breeze, being I'm in Texas and the summer heat is tough...tp

Old 01-05-2015 | 12:20 PM
unclericky
Tourer

My truck has a windshield.
All I need for my Harley, is gas and wind!

Old 01-05-2015 | 01:14 PM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member

I think most people have an issue with shields because they go with the big touring shield.

My brother and I both have the HD quick detach Sport shield. Both have been cut out around the headlight to move them down and also trimmed across the top. I don't believe shields are a one size fits all.

I still get wind but I wear a small half helmet and sunglasses...without the shield I can't wear normal sunglasses as the wind beats my eyes up.

One thing I don't understand are the full face helmet and shield combo...I don't know how it could NOT cause buffetting. My beanie helmet is very thin so the wind doesn't affect it at all.

On a side note...how come a guy can wear a full face helmet and he is an "Outlaw" but I wear a non DOT lid and sunglasses with a minimal shield and I'm supposed to "just drive a cage" since I enjoy the ride better? Surely my setup has more wind inyour face than a full face gives... ok, I'm ready.

Old 01-05-2015 | 01:35 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member

I have half, 3/4 and full face helmets, and mostly use the FF. It provides the best protection for the lower half of my face. While old and kinda ugly, it's the only face I have, and want to keep it intact. No helmet can insure always being protected, but I've learned through the loss of, and injury to friends, over the years, the better the protection, the better the chances of survival.

As for what others may think or say as to what I wear when riding, F***'em if they can't take a joke.... That should be all our attitudes. Our lives, our decisions...tp

Quick Reply: No Windshield?