Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014 | 10:27 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

Rasmukri,

I don't like the look of a windshield on my bike but I couldn't take the buffeting and wind pressure on my head and chest without it. My 1/2 helmet acted like a parachute and would try to strangle me at speeds over 60mph. A couple of years ago I bought a Shoei full face to make riding it cold weather more enjoyable. Guess what? I now ride 95% of the time without a windshield. A well designed helmet can make all the difference in your comfort level at hiway speeds. Pretty much the only time I use the windshield is when I know that I'll be riding in bad weather.

Old 02-11-2014 | 10:54 AM
caberto
Road Master

I ride with a windshield 99% of the time, as most of my rides are at least 100 miles. I can ride without a windshield if it's for just short jaunts, around town or whatever, but I don't really enjoy it as much as riding with a windshield, and as I said, it's rare I take my bike for rides shorter than 100 miles unless it's just for an errand around town. And yes, I do ride often, well, as often as I can before, after work and on weekends. I ride an average of 13K miles per year.

Do I like how the King looks without a windshield? Yep, but the act of riding and enjoying the trip is more important to me.

Old 02-11-2014 | 11:35 AM
T Prescott
Tourer

Quick release is the way to go, use it when you need it.

Old 02-11-2014 | 11:37 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jpicht
I have an HD quick-detache windshield that I use sparingly. It really helps in the winter when the wind is really cold. However, I leave it at home most times during the Spring, Fall, and especially the summer. I like the wind when I'm riding. If I am riding for an extended time, I use earplugs.
I used to feel the same about the wind (feeling it was blowing me off the back of the bike). However, when I added my Mustang Wide Tripper Solo w/backrest, that feeling disappeared. Some ride with a Full face helmet to defeat the wind noise.
It all comes down to you and how you handle the wind.
My advice: get a seat with a backrest and see if that solves the wind problem. It did with me.

The backrest made a huge difference to me. After I got my Corbin saddle installed I almost fell asleep while riding. It was like cruising on a EZ Chair on the way back from Cali! LOL
I now have a full face that was a gift but have not had a chance to wear it. I also picked up some ear plugs cause I was deaf after riding 600 or so miles...
As far as the bugs it's a low cost solution to having to stop to eat, crunchy, tasty and plenty of protein!

Old 02-11-2014 | 11:46 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Default windshield or stripped?

I think it depends on the rider and the bike, if you have a somethin-glide your probably gonna have a shield.
If you ride to work everyday (primary transport) you would probably want a shield for protection from all the road crap.
If you have a bobber, most likely you hate shields, I like how bobber's look clean, no makeup.

Personally I use mine almost every day, if I could afford a glide I would.

To each his own.

Cheers.

Old 02-11-2014 | 03:06 PM
Torinogt
Cruiser

Always used a shield here but this year I am considering riding without it when its warm enough. Bought me a good Nolan full-face modular helmet last summer and it does make a big difference in comfort and noise. Don't worry to much about the noise tho, just take my hearing aids out or mute them. :-)

Old 02-11-2014 | 03:39 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member

No ws, no helmet. Discovered that a small tool bag tied to the handlebars will knock off quite a bit of wind. Don't have a pic of the dyna, here's one of the wannabe. And I'm 63.

Attached Thumbnails No Windshield?-vtx1300web.jpg  
Old 02-11-2014 | 09:21 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

I just got back on a Street Bob after having touring bikes with batwings for the past 6 years. I was surprised at how much the wind felt like it was going to blow me right off the bike the first time I took in on the freeway, compared to my street glide and limited. After a week and a hundred or so miles, it feels right again and the smile doesn't leave my face.

Friends of mine have only ever ridden touring bikes and think I'm crazy to "downsize" and put my face and fists in the wind. They never will get it, but that's the riding that makes me happy. So, you go out and ride the way that makes you happy.

Old 02-11-2014 | 09:28 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member

My first bike didn't have a windshield but once I got a bike that had one I will never ride without one.

Old 02-11-2014 | 10:35 PM
RC51Crazy
Advanced

Just ordered a Harley Quick release Windshield today for Interstate use only. I also have one of the flip front full face helmets that is fine for cooler weather. I do prefer an open face helmet for short trips or local rides as long as we are not on the Interstate for very long.

Quick Reply: No Windshield?