Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013 | 08:55 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member

I have a HD quick detachable ws for my bike. I don't like the look of a ws on my bike but I just found it more comfortable to ride at hiway speeds with it. If I was going somewhere where I was staying for a couple of days, I would take the shield off and leave it in the motel room. A couple of years ago I bought a full face helmet. The windshield rarely goes on the bike now. So, because my state is a helmet state I just replace the windshield with the ff helmet.

Fortunately the helmet I have (Shoei RF-1000) is nicely engineered and I get no head buffeting at speed so it's not really a problem.

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:02 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
Unfortunately old age caught up with me. A windshield and helmet were for pussies when I started riding. Because of the helmet laws I started wearing a beanie, now I have a full face because the wind trashes my eyes. I started to really suffer on long rides with wind fatigue. I have a Windvest now, but agree with the last post, at some point I will get a fairing. I miss the old wind in the face, but feel grateful to still be riding at 61.
+1 on age catching up. I had never had a windshield on a bike till last year, and a friend talked me into trying one. I use it all the time now. Being a member of the AARP Club, really sux.

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:27 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member

I never owned a bike with a W/S until my first touring bike, 07 FLHT STD & now my 2011 FLTRX. I did replace the very short W/S on the 11 to a 14" Wind Vest. I'm into comfort these days. I've been riding for 50 years.

Old 12-30-2013 | 09:32 PM
EP50
Outstanding HDF Member

I wont leave home without the windshield in my car

Old 12-30-2013 | 10:03 PM
butch patrick
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jpicht
I have an HD quick-detache windshield that I use sparingly. It really helps in the winter when the wind is really cold. However, I leave it at home most times during the Spring, Fall, and especially the summer. I like the wind when I'm riding. If I am riding for an extended time, I use earplugs.

I used to feel the same about the wind (feeling it was blowing me off the back of the bike). However, when I added my Mustang Wide Tripper Solo w/backrest, that feeling disappeared. Some ride with a Full face helmet to defeat the wind noise.

It all comes down to you and how you handle the wind.

My advice: get a seat with a backrest and see if that solves the wind problem. It did with me.Attachment 350062

Attachment 350063

Attachment 350066

Attachment 350069

Amen on the seat with backrest. I rarely put my qd shield on my bike. Do no t like the look.

Old 12-31-2013 | 07:13 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
Unfortunately old age caught up with me. A windshield and helmet were for pussies when I started riding. Because of the helmet laws I started wearing a beanie, now I have a full face because the wind trashes my eyes. I started to really suffer on long rides with wind fatigue. I have a Windvest now, but agree with the last post, at some point I will get a fairing. I miss the old wind in the face, but feel grateful to still be riding at 61.
I know what you are saying. When I was in the Army many years ago I was much thinner and stronger and the wind didn't seem to matter much to me, but now nearly 65 and much wider and heavier the wind seems a never ending foe. The wife got me a Memphis Shades batwing fairing for Christmas with windeflectors and lowers and it is much better now.

Old 12-31-2013 | 08:56 AM
Tanuki
Road Warrior

I have a windshield in my car, why would I want one on me bike ?

When I started riding again after a long break at first I found the wind pressure at highway speed became tiring, but now it is not an issue and in fact a prefer having the wind rushing past, its part of what riding is about.

Add an extra layer to stop the cold wind biting in the chest and its all good.

Old 12-31-2013 | 09:52 AM
Sonny's World
Road Captain

No windshield for this very immature guy in his mid 50's.

It's simple... when a windshield is needed, I take my car.

Old 12-31-2013 | 10:02 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by Reindeer
I have 2 windshields for my Super Glide (HD quick detach and a Windvest) and they both collect dust. (Windvest is for sale in the classifieds...) I can't handle the buffeting from either of them. My beard flies straight forward and up in front of my mouth, and it drives me nuts. Plenty of people rave about the Windvest but for whatever reason it didn't work for me. I don't mind at all not having a windshield, unless its raining or really cold. I never got used to having one, so I guess I didn't have to get used to not having one. I get more air pressure on my chest without the shield, but its smoother and not as turbulent.
"I get more air pressure on my chest without the shield, but it`s smoother and not as turbulent." That`s why I bought a full faced helmet when I traded my last bike (had a windshield) for my present Fatboy CVO. Also, a windshield would make this bike look terrible.

Old 12-31-2013 | 10:43 AM
tomt
Road Master

I'm 70 years young. No windshield for me. The wind in the face don't bother me. Don't wear a helmet either. But when Bell comes out with the new and improved 500 next year, I'm going to start wearing one. I like the old school/retro look.

Quick Reply: No Windshield?