Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forwards to Mids?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Danzyg1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forwards to Mids?

When I bought my 04 FXD it had forward controls on it already. I'm looking to convert it back to mid controls. I'm just curious what the steps for this are and has anyone gone through this already. I saw some stuff online that said something about changing the primary and I'm definitely not trying to do that. There's mid control set ups on Ebay but not sure if I'll need anything else. Any input would be great and much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need to see if the shifter shaft thru the primary is still in place or removed first of all.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:08 PM
Danzyg1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Junkster
Need to see if the shifter shaft thru the primary is still in place or removed first of all.
The primary window plate is not one solid piece there is a sort of ****/ cap where the shifter and peg would be. Not sure about the rest though.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:31 PM
brandon95354
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danzyg1
The primary window plate is not one solid piece there is a sort of ****/ cap where the shifter and peg would be. Not sure about the rest though.
find a diagram at ronnies harley parts finder, so you know what your looking at. then use the search function on this forum. it sounds like your shaft is already in place, so you should be good.

ronnies harley parts finder along with a service manual are very helpful tools.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

It sounds like you have the mid delete kit that came with the forward controls, that is a good thing, with the stock parts you should be able to go back to mid's easily, I went to FWD's did not like it and switched back, if you watch eBay and Wait you can find all the parts you need. most everyone goes to FWD controls so the parts are all over and usually pretty cheap, or order the parts from HD at a huge expense, Bike Junk ward is another option?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:56 AM
fullswedge
Cruiser

When I bought my 04 FXD it had forward controls on it already. I'm looking to convert it back to mid controls. I'm just curious what the steps for this are and has anyone gone through this already. I saw some stuff online that said something about changing the primary and I'm definitely not trying to do that. There's mid control set ups on Ebay but not sure if I'll need anything else. Any input would be great and much appreciated. Thanks!
I'd be interessted in buying your forwards if you still have them.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Danzyg1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fullswedge
I'd be interessted in buying your forwards if you still have them.
I probably won't be doing this for another 2 months or so. Also I'm going to attempt to see if i could leave the forward pegs on as highway pegs and just taking off the shifter arm and brake pedal. But if that doesn't work or look good then they're going. Just in the palnning stages right now.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Danzyg1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Danofxdx
It sounds like you have the mid delete kit that came with the forward controls, that is a good thing, with the stock parts you should be able to go back to mid's easily, I went to FWD's did not like it and switched back, if you watch eBay and Wait you can find all the parts you need. most everyone goes to FWD controls so the parts are all over and usually pretty cheap, or order the parts from HD at a huge expense, Bike Junk ward is another option?
Thanks for the reply man. I figured that's what it was but I just wanted to check with some more knowledgeable people. Thanks again!

Last edited by Danzyg1; 12-19-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:54 PM
Danofxdx
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply man. I figured that's what it was but I just wanted to check with some more knowledgeable people. Thanks again!
I wanted to see if I could have both but it was too much of a hassle trying to figure it out, I would sell the set of forward controls and go with the stock Highway peg setup, I have them as well as an engine guard, don't use them much but they are there if I want them. I have pictures on my profile and if you want to see something I don't have a picture of PM me and I will post it. You may want to post a WTB Want To Buy for the Mids and see if some one on the Forum has them lying around that they don't want.