Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still looking for a good mechanic...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 10:17 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Still looking for a good mechanic...

My right control switches shorted out at the end of a road trip last July causing the starter to hang and damaging the clutch basket. I was due for a 40K servicing so I hauled it to the dealer I bought it from for warranty repairs and where I had previous warranty work done. Long story short, the mechanic who worked on my ride was not qualified to work on a child's tricycle, let alone anything with a motor! Some things were pretty AFU when I got it and I had to take it back twice and still had problems because of shoddy workmanship. It didn't help that the service manager was patronizing me either. I went over the work and fixed the screw ups myself and decided that they would not work on it again.

Saturday, I dropped into the local indy that changed my rear tire earlier this year and advertises as a HD certified parts/service shop to chat about the front forks bottoming out to decide whether or not to order a rebuild kit and rebuild them myself or pay them to do it. Here is how that went...

The owner/manager tells me that the Super Glide is not an FXD, there is no Harley Davidson designated as an FXD because they are all FXD/I or FXDC, or FXDWG or something along those lines. Well, I am new with Harleys so I am listening and not arguing even though I know this is BS. While I am quietly processing this and formulating my response, he calls in his lead mechanic who claims to be HD trained and certified. The mechanic repeats this crap and goes on to tell me that rebuilding the front forks and using heavier oil along with a spacer will not stiffen up the front suspension, he had never heard of Ricor Intiminators, and in any case, preloading the springs would not accomplish anything, and new springs would not help with the bottoming out either because the problem is that at 6'1” and 280 lbs, I am too heavy for the bike. Now, I may be a noobie with HD motorcycle maintenance, but there is not a whole lot of difference with the front fork tubes on a HD and small airplane strut and I have rebuilt many airplane struts so I do know how they work. I thanked them for their time and information and went on my way thinking what a bunch of clueless morons.

Yesterday, I got the name of another indy just down the street from me who is supposed to be an old school biker and HD rider and who has a good stock of obsolete parts. I need a new derby cover that is obsolete so I am going to drop in and chat with him tomorrow. We will see how that goes.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:32 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did my forks for the same reason. There was too much movement way to easy causing them to bottom and too much sag.
I really wanted to do it right but funds would not let me.
Just finished a 113 engine build so money was really low.
Doing your forks yourself is rather simple.
I added progressive springs and made my own spacers to get the sag is needed.
Do a search on sag and you will understand how to do that.
I went with factory HD fork oil off the self. No sure of the weight. The correct measurement is more important I would think although weight and amount both are equally important.
The bike handle 10 times better, rides better and the front end isn't taking a whopping, no more bottoming out or topping out now.
Sounds like you got a dealer that uses anyone that knows what a spark plug is.
As far as the FXD goes in a way they are right. But they are splitting hairs.
There are more than one FXD and to identify just one there is more than just FXD on it.
I have a FXDI and a FXDWG, both are a FXD but different bikes.
Hope this makes sense to you.
Some one will either correct me or can explain it better.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:44 PM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Mines an FXD.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:54 PM
ktrick01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck! I've tried everyhing in the last 35 years. I find the dealer, although expensive, does things right and they'll be there tomorrow. I'm sick of the expense, but it's done right. I'll go back to the dealer. They have the parts, o-rings, etc., etc. Not aftermarket crap like Custom Chrome, DS, etc., etc.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:57 PM
ktrick01
Cruiser

P.S. I had an independent put new shock seals on a Softail I had. He put them in upside down!! He lived 50 miles from me. So . . . 200 miles later I had new seals. Never trust an independent again. I used to work for a V-Twin shop (counter mostly). I wouldn't let them touch my bike.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:10 AM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You need my setup with triple rated springs that can handle your weight along with the intimnators makes it smooth and steady.
Did it myself at 500 miles. great investment.
I'm not that heavy @200 lbs but new the bike was bottoming out, that didn't last long with the spring and fluid change.
it's not hard to do, just need a place and some tools and of course, beer.
Having the manual and leaning what you can online helps.
you can do it.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:41 AM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

FXD - super glide carbed . FXDI - super glide injected.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:39 AM
darkglide1
Advanced

Skinman13, I see you are in Galveston however you might try Dave @ Agressive Machines in Lufkin http://local.yahoo.com/info-42690659...ntington%2C+TX - he's a good guy that knows his stuff.

FYI, the front end is not really difficult - just a couple of tricks. This is a pretty good video if you're interested in DIY.

Last edited by darkglide1; 12-14-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:21 PM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion. I live in NW Houston, up by Tomball. I just like to ride to Freeport and up the Blue Ocean Highway to Galveston where the below photo was taken.

I talked to the guy at MC Customs here in Houston and he encouraged me to do it myself based on my experience with rebuilding airplane struts. I ordered the Drag Specialties fork rebuild kit from him which should be in next week and plan on rebuilding them myself over the holiday break. I am looking at installing progressive springs if there is still too much dive after rebuilding and adjusting the sag. I am not much into fixing what does not need fixing just to gain marginal performance increases.

I am new at this but it looks to me like the only real advantage of using the Intimnitors is the ability to easily and quickly adjust the spring preload for differing riding conditions. I am a cruiser and do not usually push the envelope so I am not sure that this is something I need to be concerned with up front because my thoughts are that once I get the sag adjusted I should not need to change the preload. If they are still bottoming out or diving too much, I will go in with the progressive springs and tweak the preload with spacers.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:13 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

http://store.ricorshocks.com/
Do some research, do search the forum and you will see so many very happy with the results.
The intiminators do work. Just a drop in if your already pulled apart.
I don't work for ricor just a believer.

Quick Reply: Still looking for a good mechanic...