Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire life on the dyna...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 AM
latrobedyna
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got about 7K out my rear Metzler 880. I did not really like that tire. I had it break loose on me way to many times on corner's and bends on the road. I want to Commander II tire on the rear it has roughly 9K on it right now and still fairly good tread left. I enjoy it does stay put on the road much much better then the 880's did. So i am kind of liking them Commander tires. Thinking about trying the Night Dragons but i have not seen much reviews that seem to say roughly the same thing which makes me wonder with such variances of the reviews as to tread life etc whats up? Oh and yes i freely admit i do ride like a lunatic on a death wish so my bad

Old 12-12-2013, 05:23 AM
NHNightster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got 10k rear and 15k front out of the stock tires on my Street Bob. I replaced with stock to keep a matching set as I did not replace at the same time.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:43 AM
Infinite_Day
Cruiser

I always wondered if super-slab surface makes a difference. PA tends to use cement on their interstates where WV uses blacktop. I would think that cement would wear a tire quicker... This really has nothing to do with the question at hand, however.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:34 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Had 9,000 miles on my stock Dunlops when I did my winter switch to ME880's. Could have gotten probably another couple thousand on rear and at least another 5k from the front.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:00 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

It can't be soon enough. The stock tires suck But I cannot justify buying a new set of tires Until the stock ones are done

Old 12-12-2013, 08:29 AM
AtomiCapricorn
Intermediate

I'm currently on my second set of Michelin Commander IIs. I got 16,000 miles out of the rear on the last set. Before the Commanders, I had Avons on my bike, and I absolutely loved them, but they simply did not last. I was pushing it getting 8,000 miles out of the rear.

The Commanders are, in my humble opinion, a good compromise between performance and longevity.

The bike is an '06 Low Rider that's ridden about 500+ miles per week in all conditions, mostly above 70 MPH, with a little city riding and lane splitting thrown in.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by voudoujoe
I think both of these guys are right. The biggest, easily, is tire compound. The Michelin Commander IIs and others are multi-compound tires. The centers are harder rubber for durability and sides are stickier for grip ... best of both worlds. But, for me, road conditions are probably second. I don't ride hard off the line or hard brake a lot, but I do ride a lot on curvy, twisty back country roads where the asphalt has seen much better days ... probably why my front wears just as fast as the rear.

Replaced the stock Fat Bob Dunlops at 9,000. I got 15,000 from my last set of tires - C IIs.

About to install a set of Dunlop American Elites - multi-compound like the C IIs. They are actually a touring tire, but the tread/contact patch seems to be a little more rounded , if that makes sense. So I think they'll handle well. I also think they are a better looking tire. IMHO, the C IIs are pretty ugly.

Wow - I'd go broke if I had to put new tires on that fast!
i'd go broke if i had more than one bike like some of these guys.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like the OP, I have about the same mileage on my bike...around 8k. I have the stock Michelin Scorcher "31" tires on it.

Don't have a tread tool, but the front appears to be about 40-50%, and the rear a little less. I'm expecting to bet about 11-12k out of the stock rear. When it's time to replace it, I will replace the front at the same time because it will be close also.

I'll likely go back with the stock Scorchers, as I have been happy with their handling and wear so far. If I do go with something different, it will be the C IIs. Either way, it will be Michelin. I run Michelin tires on everything...bike, wife's truck, my truck, etc., and I always will.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Wow, the dynas are lighter than the Touring and the stock Dunlaps get real close to 20k. I ride very spirited and I may be able to get 17-18k out of my stockers. Wonder why the lighter bikes rubber (Dynas) wear faster?

Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes it is costly. I have 4 bikes and ride all of em a lot. My street glide is rode the most with shopping and trips.
Some times I have to get 2 full sets at one time. That hurts.
We have a bike supply going out of business in Huntsville, AL. so I picked up 2 rear tires for $170.
That's a big savings. They only had the dunlop 401 and a 404 but that will work until I can do the 200 mod later on. if you are close to Huntsville, AL. stop by north Alabama biker supply. They have everything marked down from 40% to 75%

Quick Reply: Tire life on the dyna...