Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Super Glide Custom with 470lbs of rider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013 | 12:17 PM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by euphoric28
Thanks EricInNCa for your helpful response. Aces you really shouldn't talk unless you know someone. In my prime I was 20 i weighed 240 working down in a navy engineering plant sweating my *** off every day. Now i'm 37 and I do work out but i'm also disabled which makes it difficult. I'm a big guy when i'm ripped but yea i've got a belly now. Either way people are built different.
euphoric28,
I too am a retired/former Navy engineer. I cut my teeth on a 1200# steam plant. That being said when I finally made the leap I opted for a used Wide Glide. Being 6'2" I really like the forward controls. I found mine at the dealership for a song. $9500 with only 24K miles. It already had the V&H long shots with bags and a pretty good amount of chrome.

As far as upgrades I used the Progressive 412s in the rear and Metzler ME 880s. I also had ceramic brake pads installed to help with the stopping power.

The wife and I just got back from the BRP. Even with our 380 lbs. of combined body weight both saddlebags full, a tour pack loaded and her huge bag that probably weighed close to 70 lbs the bike performed flawlessly.

We had no problems on the twisties in the mountains or the interstate getting there.

Check my signature for all the mods I currently have. I am still under your $18K starting price.

Your dealership can be very helpful if you know what you are looking for. In my case the bike I got had been serviced by that dealership regularly so they knew that bikes history. AN older guy had bought it there and after a couple years had decided to upgrade to an ultra.

Just my 2 cents.
Rick

Old 12-09-2013 | 02:16 PM
fishbones
Intermediate

As someone once said, we live, we die and if we are fortunate we get to ride motorcycles in-between !

Last edited by fishbones; 12-09-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2013 | 02:21 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

I would suggest looking for a used touring bike Bro. You guys are gonna be crammed on the Dyna. My OL won't even get on the Dyna, she says it's to small.

When I ride the Street Glide and Dyna back to back the Bob feels like a bicycle.

Check your options before you commit.

Old 12-09-2013 | 02:49 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

I would do the seat first, rear shocks second. You'll both be fine...my wifes very comfy when she rides on the dyna...we are about 375 combined.

Old 12-09-2013 | 03:45 PM
Carl '69
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've seen T/C, low mileage Road King's & Electra Glides around here, starting at $7-8K.

Baggers are just fine for in town. Yes, they're heavy, but amazingly nimble & way more comfort for you & the missus, when ya decide to take off on a Saturday afternoon.

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:15 PM
euphoric28
|
6th Gear

Hey rooti, I see your just right up the road from me. Well after talking with the wife i will either buy the SG and get the wide tire kit, replace the rear shocks and front springs with progressive HD's and trying to decide between a sundowner seat or the signature seat with the driver backrest. We might on the other hand try to find a used nice road king. Need to spend a little more time at the Dealership but i will say I love the mid controls and the bars on the SG suit me perfectly. I did sit on a 40k CVO Limited and it only felt slightly heavier until the wife went to hop on. As soon as she started to step up i had to muscle it a little more than expected lol.

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:22 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey euphoric28, I didn't notice how close you are to me with your original post.
I know the GM at Gruene harley if you decide to buy new...

If you want to go to a touring (I love the road king) then I'll help you find the right one on craigs list. Do not buy a used harley at any of the dealers around here...they want crazy money. I look at used road kings on craigs list every day and there are some smokin deals right now. Once you decide what you want to try and go for then I'm up for helping you find the right one...I love looking at bikes.

I look for some road kings right now and maybe post a few...

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:34 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Ok here's the deal of the day on a road king...looking at 2009 or better with the new frame. Right up the street in canyon lake:
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/4205173070.html

Harley will finance this one for you if you need longer term financing

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:41 PM
euphoric28
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by rooti
Hey euphoric28, I didn't notice how close you are to me with your original post.
I know the GM at Gruene harley if you decide to buy new...

If you want to go to a touring (I love the road king) then I'll help you find the right one on craigs list. Do not buy a used harley at any of the dealers around here...they want crazy money. I look at used road kings on craigs list every day and there are some smokin deals right now. Once you decide what you want to try and go for then I'm up for helping you find the right one...I love looking at bikes.

I look for some road kings right now and maybe post a few...
not sure i'll have cash in hand to buy used straight up. Not buying till around June but was planning on having about 4k cash on hand. If i do buy brand new though i'll definately have to keep you in mind, I appreciate any help I can get. To be honest i love riding solo. She's ridden with me before on an 83 honda cb1000 custom and i just do it for her but i like just having to worry about myself. Thats another reason i'm really leaning towards a SG(it fits ME so well).

Old 12-09-2013 | 04:59 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

You don't have to have the cash on hand when you buy used. Harley has a buyer/seller assist program that they will handle all the paperwork and the financing on a private party bike. Of course they will charge you a nice fee, but the seller would probably pay for half to sell their bike without having to worry about the actual transaction or paperwork.

I would strongly recommend buying in the winter time. Even if you have to put less down, you will save a bunch of money by buying off season.

If you decide on the SG, then I can help you with the suspension...I've already changed my front and rear. The way I have my bike set up, I really don't think my wife would be any more comfortable on a touring...besides we don't tour...mostly hill country riding.

PM me anytime or you can e-mail me at sbcglobal.net, my name is Dino

Quick Reply: 2014 Super Glide Custom with 470lbs of rider?