Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Super Glide Custom with 470lbs of rider?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013 | 07:02 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master

Originally Posted by euphoric28
I'm looking into buying my first HD and I really like the super glide but I know both me and my wife together weight about 470lbs with no gear. Wondering if the bike will take it or if being 70lbs over the gvwr would be that big of a deal, what you guys would suggest. I will be riding this mostly solo but my wife would like to take a ride once a week. I'm not looking to spend 18k on a bike initially so I'm either stuck in that range or buying something heavier duty used but as i said, I really like the super glide. Any suggestions?
I think it would handle it just fine. I'm 250 plus and the wife is 150 I put progressive front fork springs in it, but the rear shocks are still stock and it handle it just fine. I still have one further shock setting to go to, but the ride is just fine with very minimal bottoming out. I usually ride solo, but the wife occasionally likes to go for a ride and it has never been a problem.

Old 12-09-2013 | 07:55 AM
Sharpie
Road Warrior

I weigh 250 as I have gained 85 pounds over a period of 31 years. I worked outside in heavy construction and sweated profusely. Age and time has its way of adding pounds to you. I ride a 2009 SG generally solo and have no problem with the solo ride in the stock setup. I seldom ride 2 up as my wife doesnt like to ride. I would suggest riding a few at the dealer prior to buying to determine what best suits your needs. A good used 2 - 3 year old bike with low mileage such as a garage queen could be more to your liking if your look around. I know my dealer in Meridian MS is loaded with approximatly 40 used bikes from Sporsters to Ultras. The Dyna to me is the best solo bike as you are not dragging fairings and bags so you are a little more sporty that way. I have some friends that are on the big side and they seem to work well on a Road King. Keep safety in your utmost thoughts when making a decision.

Old 12-09-2013 | 08:18 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

My 2 cents, get a bigger bike. After riding around on my Roadie, sometimes the Wide Glide feels a little small with the wife, and the Sporty is an outright Clown Bike with the two of us on it. And we rode that clown bike from LI to Cleveland back in the 90's when we were in our 20's and a whole lot smaller. I got on a early 80's Sporty over the summer and it felt like a Schwinn!!!!

My old man was probably 350 and liked Sportsters, but I don't think the Sporster ever really liked him if you know what I mean. Early 2000's Road King are pretty cheap and might suite you a lot better. Big people need big vehicles, it is what it is. You probably don't drive a Prius, so why ride a smaller bike. My 2 cents.

Old 12-09-2013 | 08:23 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

You should try how it feels with shocks on 5, but at the same time factor in in your budget some money for suspension upgrades. Progressive has a specific line of Heavy Duty shocks, the 412 not being very expensive.

Old 12-09-2013 | 08:32 AM
PistolPete83
Road Master

I would say definitly change the suspension...wont cost too much...and younand your hunnie will be rolling on that scoot no probs...good luck

Old 12-09-2013 | 09:09 AM

i had a sporty and traded it in cause i like chicks big big butts which did'nt work with the sporty, so i treded it in for the super glide. i'm 6'1 200lbs. no trouble so far..in my twenties i weighd 350, but became a vegetarian at 27 and within a year lost 150 pounds. though thats not the asnwer for everyone it worked for me.

Old 12-09-2013 | 10:12 AM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

Suspension upgrades will certainly allow the bike to handle the weight, but, having said that, as another poster
said, I'd be more worried about the brakes and also tire wear. IMHO, the FXDC is somewhat undersized on both
tires and brakes and is a marginal choice to carry the two-up loads you are talking about.

I really respect my 2009 FXDC; I've spent up to two weeks at a time on it riding through the Western states,
but I think a larger bike with a longer frame, bigger tires and brakes would be a better choice to suit your needs...

BTW, I'm 6 foot, 220lbs..

Last edited by Mike Horrell; 12-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2013 | 11:02 AM
203Cree
Road Master

Get a touring bike. Seriously. You'll have to go used, but you won't have to spend more money on upgrading stuff to handle the weight, plus it already has the bags and stuff you're looking to add in the future.

Basically, it's a much much better starting point for what you're wanting to do and what your guys' weight is going to require. PLUS, you'll have more room for the two of you which will make the ride much more enjoyable. I'm not throwing stones by any means, as I'm not a small guy myself (I'm about 235, she's over 130 and not very tall), but putting the two of you on a Dyna would be like putting me and my wife on a sporty, and we did that. And I hated every waking moment of it. It made what was almost enjoyable miserable.

Old 12-09-2013 | 11:21 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

IMO, with the shocks on the "5" setting you would be fine. You said you would mostly be riding solo, with the wife only riding once/week or so. If you're on a tight budget, set the shocks to 5 and see how that goes before you do anything if you decide to go with the FXDC.

When I bought my FXDC, my shocks were set on 1 from the factory without me realizing it (I assumed 3, but never checked), and the wife & I rode that way for months before I investigated. We weigh 380 combined. I prefer it firmer, and usually ride on 4 or 5 all the time now anyway after some experimentation, but we could both ride with it on 1.

You're going to have some quicker tire wear than normal, but not much you can do about that.

I don't think it' as much about the bike being able to handle it as it would be a comfort issue. I think the FXDC could handle you just fine, but you really would be more comfortable on a touring bike with your size. Look at the Road King if you don't want a fairing...much better suspension and brakes from the factory than a Dyna & heavier/longer frame. You can probably find a nice barely used one that's within your budget.

Old 12-09-2013 | 11:46 AM
euphoric28
|
6th Gear

Thanks guys for the helpful responses. I have an anxiety disorder with agoraphobia so I have problems getting out of the house. Motorcycles have always been able to help with that because I love riding so much. I was originally going to just get a little ninja 650 to commute in the general area of my home but then the wife wanted to ride with me. So it just keeps adding up and she liked the vstar better than the harleys but I already know that if I want a bike for the long haul parts are easy to get years down the road on a harley. I think i might just go used but i don't want too big of a bike at the same time because i still do plan on running just right down the road with it alot. We both have sat on a new super glide and with a better seat comfort shouldn't be a problem if the suspension is right. I am thinking maybe of doing a wide tire kit in the back to help the tires handle the weight. I don't see her being on the bike more than 30 miles in a weeks time.

Quick Reply: 2014 Super Glide Custom with 470lbs of rider?