Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy 2014 Super Glide Custom - What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:35 AM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Looking to Buy 2014 Super Glide Custom - What do I need to know?

Been off bikes for a year or so, getting older and not physically as comfortable on longer rides as I was 30 years ago. Looking at the Super Glide Custom. Here's what I plan for the bike: (1) ride solo most of the time (wife has arthritis, not able to ride any distance); (2) mostly short rides - under 100 miles most times, 200 miles would be the longest one way ride; (3) prefer ABS brakes for added safety (reflexes still good, but I realize my limits).

The SGC is a lot lighter than my other Harleys (Softail Deluxe - nice bike, but no lean angle at all; Heritage Classic - another nice bike, but bags don't lock and also has little lean clearance and a bit underpowered with mediocre brakes; Sportster 1200C Anniversary - very good looking bike, a bit top heavy, didn't fit on it as well as I thought I would; Street Rod - a very wonderful machine, very underrated and capable of serious fun, but front fork issues were unable to be fixed) and will allow me to handle it. I've had several arm surgeries in the last few years, as well as back surgery, so lighter weight and a more centralized foot control is important.

I've heard that the SGC is a typical Dyna ride - fun, responsive, and easy to enjoy, but I don't know about the other things that owners would know: comfort on the road, ride quality, "fun to drive", and all the rest. I also won't ride this bike more than 1,000 or 2,000 miles a year, so I want to have a bike that will be easy to resell if I find that I'm not able to use it even that much. Resale is always based on price, so I understand that, but I'd like to at least have a bike that people want and will be desirable in the market. (It surprised me how the Street Glide is now the most popular Harley. 10 years ago you couldn't give it away and the Road King was "the bike". Today the Road King Classic is dead and the Street Glide marches on).

Given my comments, intended use and desire to own a Harley, is the SGC the right bike? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

PS: You may recognize my ID - I've "hung 'em up" three times so far, but there is something about motorcycles that makes it hard to walk away from. This forum has been very helpful and supportive in my decision making in the past - thanks to all.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

You're definitely shopping in the right range. The SG is a great bike. The Street Bob is another great bike that is very comparable to the SG in terms of geometry. The handling, seating, weight, etc., are almost identical between the two.
The cosmetic differences are:
The SG has a bigger dash.
The SG has a full length fender.
The SG comes with passenger seat and pegs.
The SG cones with a lot of chrome while the SB comes in either chrome or black on the metal stuff (the SB chrome isn't as much as the SG.)

I have the Street Bob. For what you described, the SG and SB are perfect. They are the lightest of the Dyna family. Neutral handling and ride position. Comfortable., but not cushy like the bigger ST models you described.

You should also take a look at the Fat Bob. With your desire for good brakes, you might appreciate the dual disks. The fat front end also makes for good handling. It's almost in-between the SG and SB in terms of shiny stuff, but it makes it's own path for style and riding style.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:55 AM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Super Glide Custom will be a good choice. I went from a 1200 custom to a 2013 Super Glide Custom. The SGC is definitely better balanced than the sport, but I had 13" Ricors and Intiminators. So, it was more top heavy (didn't make a difference once rolling.) And, it had increased lean angle. I was scraping on the first day riding the Glide (ok with it now.) I'm fine on the stock seat, but I had to go to forwards. I'm putting on 4.5" straight risers to help a bad neck. And, I just ordered Progressive 444-4036s to replace rear shocks. The ride is ok, but not good when compared to the Ricors. Forks have progressive rate springs stock, and are comfortable for now.

There was no apparent loss of power from the 1200 Custom to the Super, but will upgrade to the 103 + cam when I can afford it. The 2014 is a good choice.

Would have bought the Street Bob, but preferred the rear fender and larger tank of the Super. Good luck on your purchase.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Based on your post, I think you are on the right track with the dyna but I would suggest getting one that is a few years old. If you buy a used on (and this is the right time of year) and it doesn't work out, you will get almost all your money back. If you buy a new one and it doesn't work out, then you will lose thousands of dollars.

There are a lot of used garage queens that people bought new and never rode much. Take advantage of the situation and the time of year, and get them out of the garage

Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 338 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Based on your post, I think you are on the right track with the dyna but I would suggest getting one that is a few years old. If you buy a used on (and this is the right time of year) and it doesn't work out, you will get almost all your money back. If you buy a new one and it doesn't work out, then you will lose thousands of dollars.

There are a lot of used garage queens that people bought new and never rode much. Take advantage of the situation and the time of year, and get them out of the garage
There is an 05 SG on Craigslist with 9000 original miles for 7300 OBO. my guess is he would take 6K

Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an 07...the deals are out there:
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4205597653.html

Old 12-07-2013, 12:49 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies. I appreciate the links to ads, but I'm more interested in newer bikes, less than 3 years old, low mileage. I realize depreciation is an issue, but I'm more interested in a newer bike.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Superglide Customs are very nice bikes.
Hard to know about future resale, until the current bagger/touring bike fad passes.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:20 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the superglide will definately do what you want it to do. the comfort questions noone can answer for you.

i'd give the rest of the dyna's a whirl as well while your at the dealers. its not all that hard/expensive to convert a fatbob or wide glide to mids.

the dynas tend to be a little rougher ride than the softtails so you may want keep some budget for shock upgrades.

Last edited by slozomby; 12-07-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:05 PM
JefferiesHD1
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

After 11 years on my Sportster I bought a new 2012 FXDC. I rode several models and for the money and what I wanted the FXDC was it. A real Harley look with no chopped fender and I didn't have to chrome out anything cause it was already there. Handling and power were great and even better with a little tweaking. Added road pegs and a QD windsheild for comfort. I will probably get the touring seat before next season. I could of used it on my ocean trip.
I couldn't do any good trying to find a used one a couple years old. They wanted as much or more than a brand new one. So I went new and added what I wanted, not what someone else had wanted a couple years ago.
They got a little bit bigger engine now, but I can't see how I would need it. I'd rather have the 96 inch TC with my blue paint. 2014 paint colors choices sure are slim this year.
Bring on Spring!

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy 2014 Super Glide Custom - What do I need to know?