Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy 2014 Super Glide Custom - What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 04:52 PM
PistolPete83
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I too wanted to buy used but in the summer time and the prices on everything i liked was over ten grand so i bought new....the super glide is a phenomenal bike...easy to customize...and the 96 inch is plenty big...however i have to agree with everyone else you will be able to find a super glide or street bob at a ridiculous price right now...you should have no problem picking up a 2/3 year old bike for around 9...

Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,759 Likes on 1,413 Posts

My buddy bought his wife a used 2013 SGC. Nice bike.

I hate when people do this in threads, but as a recent Switchback owner who test rode a Fat Bob, Road King, SGC, used SG and Street Bob, you may want to check out a Switch.

FL front end (vs. damper rod forks on all the other Dyna's), quick detach lockable hard bags (although small) quick detach windshield (takes any Road King windshield if you don't like the stock one) and floor boards (allows for a variety of foot/leg positioning, has standard shifter - not the heel toe shifter of the touring models, and full size passenger seat. Also, IMHO, it's the best handling Dyna of the bunch. I forget where the link is, but some moto mag did a test for braking distances on a variety of bikes. The ABS Switchback came in a very surprising 2nd, beating out bikes I would have thought for sure would have superior braking performance, such as the Honda CB1000R (not to be confused w/ Honda's all out sport bike like, the CBR1000), Triumph Speed Triple, etc.

Nothing against the SGC, as it is a fine bike, but just for the hell of it, take some test rides on some other Dyna's to see how they compare.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies and very helpful comments.

After trying several different models with my wife, the sad fact is that our bodies have aged to the point where we unfortunately agree that none of the current Harley models are a good fit.

My prior surgeries leave me with little upper body strength and I'm uncomfortable that I can properly control the bike with both of us on it. I also have to face the reality that after anything over an hour or so in the saddle Tylenol is required to "smooth out" the aching body parts.

I'm not ready to "hang 'em up" fully, but I can't get ignore what my body is telling me. For now, sorry to say, my best riding days are clearly behind me.

And as much as it pains me to write this, my wife thinks that it's time to get a convertible car. We can still enjoy the open air (maybe even more without a helmet), and have less concern for our aging bodies. Truth be told, after 40+ years of riding I can't say that I disagree with her.

For now, any purchase is "on hold". Getting old isn't a lot of fun - enjoy your days in the saddle - you never know when you may no longer be able to enjoy them!

Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,089 Likes on 12,020 Posts

Convertible cars are tough on aging bodies too. When the top is up, you need a shoehorn to get in one. Try out each before you buy.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:09 PM
ColoFXDC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great bikes. However, they ping like crazy and the dealer won't do anything about it and claim it's normal. You'll have to fix that yourself. Only other problem I had with mine is that the gas gauge popped out and would not stay in.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:44 AM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

Consider riding a trike.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:58 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DonN
Consider riding a trike.
+1. you can ride with the wife, very comfortable both of you.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:38 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

The 2013 we added to the stable had a lot of vibration from the front mount. Its tapering down some as it gets some miles on it but it was so bad when we got it home that the Mrs thought there was something wrong with the engine. From what I hear its not chronic but as luck would have it ours had a saged mount. No, dealership said nothing about it even after test riding it after bleeding ABS brakes.....bastages.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:00 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Really enjoy my FXDC. I'm 63 and still in good health and condition, though. I have to agree about the TRIKE suggestions. None of the problems you mentioned with 2 wheelers.

Go to most any Harley shop on a Saturday and chances are good you will see some in the parking lot. Mainly riders our age who want the joys without the possible chances of injuring themselves or SO. Already decided that when I'm uncomfortable on 2 wheels I will go to three instead of just 4... Trikes are not a cheap investment, but worthwhile for someone who still wants to be on a motorcycle (of sorts)... tomp dd50

Last dealer visit, saw his and hers trikes. A Harley and a Gold Wing. Just asked a few questions and they were more than glad to discuss their move to three wheels...tp

Check out this link. Paughco is now building trike rear assemblies for Dynas, Softails, Sportsters, and touring models. May be the answer to your situation. tp
http://paughco.com/2008-catalog/indi...or%202013.html

Last edited by dirtdreamer50; 12-24-2013 at 07:13 PM.