Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy 2014 Super Glide Custom - What do I need to know?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Riding

Hi,slightly different reply,i will never buy another Dyna without riding the actual bike I intend to buy,even if it's New.
Try to ride as many different Dynas as possible to give yourself a reference,IMHO the vibration levels vary so much on Dynas,that a test ride of the actual bike is a must.
This is probably not going to be a popular post,but you're probably going to spend at least $10k,so best to make sure you are happy with the bike you choose.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
Thanks to all for the replies. I appreciate the links to ads, but I'm more interested in newer bikes, less than 3 years old, low mileage. I realize depreciation is an issue, but I'm more interested in a newer bike.

The SG is in my opinion the right one for you. I too have some arthritis problems in my hands and fingers, but going to install the burly easy lite clutch adaptor next week and that should take care of that. My rides are kind of like yours mostly around town and short hops with 200 miles one way being the tops I have ridden on yet. Got rid of the stock seat and got a Sundowner two up and all is good. Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 AM
JustsoIcanupvotethis
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lencap
Thanks to all for the replies. I appreciate the links to ads, but I'm more interested in newer bikes, less than 3 years old, low mileage. I realize depreciation is an issue, but I'm more interested in a newer bike.
I love mine. I have a '13 Super Glide Custom and pretty much mirror everything you have said about the what and why of why you want one. This one is on my local craigslist. http://topeka.craigslist.org/mcd/4192534867.html

Old 12-08-2013, 11:35 AM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks again for all the comments. I'm reading a bit about vibration in the forum for the SGC. Does anyone else have comments about the vibration on this model?

As I mentioned earlier I've owned Softails, with a balanced motor, and the ride is very smooth. Also smooth on the Street Rod, but a bit more "character" on the Sportsters.

Do you find the vibration an issue on the bike?

Old 12-08-2013, 11:51 AM
triumph900
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
Hi,slightly different reply,i will never buy another Dyna without riding the actual bike I intend to buy,even if it's New.
Try to ride as many different Dynas as possible to give yourself a reference,IMHO the vibration levels vary so much on Dynas,that a test ride of the actual bike is a must.
This is probably not going to be a popular post,but you're probably going to spend at least $10k,so best to make sure you are happy with the bike you choose.
Agree 1000%. DO NOT buy any Dyna without an extensive test ride. Each Dyna that I have ridden/owned had it's own "character". Some vibrated A LOT more than others.

I have a Fat Bob and a Street Bob. The FB is much smoother than the SB. The SB is fun, but if I only had one bike the FB wins hands down. I recently rode a 2014 FB (mine's a 2012) and the 2014 was very smooth as well. I'd recommend at least looking at/demo riding a FB.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Overlappinglittlepig
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I own two bikes. I have a 2012 Fat Bob and a 2013 Ultra Limited that I just got this fall which replaced my 07 Ultra Classic. I really love That Fat Bob and have ridden it on some longer trips and I am very surprised how comfortable it really is! Maybe with the forward controls and the handlebar position it fits me well. I think you are on the right track with your choices. I have always bought new and try to buy left over models in the fall because they always want to get rid of them with the newer models coming in. Maybe your dealer has a leftover 2013 SGC?

Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,089 Likes on 12,020 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'm buying a new SGC in January for my 60th birthday. After 45 years of bikes, it's probably last bike I'll ever buy. I like the FXDC for personal reasons, it reminds me of the 60's and '70's. The style with short fenders, spokes, staggered duals and classic, standard looks is pure nostalgia. I don't care if it vibrates or rides stiff.
Off to the dealer next month..snow season is the best time to buy too.
But how do FXDC owners respond when someone says, "nice Sportster"?

Last edited by upflying; 12-08-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:45 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
I'm in the same boat. I'm buying a new SGC in January for my 60th birthday. After 45 years of bikes, it's probably last bike I'll ever buy. I like the FXDC for personal reasons, it reminds me of the 60's and '70's. The style with short fenders, spokes, staggered duals and classic, standard looks is pure nostalgia. I don't care if it vibrates or rides stiff.
Off to the dealer next month..snow season is the best time to buy too.
But how do FXDC owners respond when someone says, "nice Sportster"?
Congrats on the big 6 0 !

I get the Sportser comments on my Street Bob too. Just smile and nod along. If you have to explain it, they probably won't understand.

OP. Your going to love the SGC. It is the real HD experience, with everything you need, and nothing you don't.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Great08
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey lencap...I have an '08 SGC...got it new, and have over 51,000 miles on it. Mustang solo seat, forward controls, stage 2-103 kit, Vance & Hines Big Shots...I'm 65, and have done many, many 600+mile-days. Love the bike, don't expect ever to replace it. Has definitely done the job for me, don't think that you'd be making a bad choice to get one.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:28 PM
marcortez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently there are two Super Glides for sale on this forum.

Take a look and compare over new.

Yes.....one happens to be mine.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy 2014 Super Glide Custom - What do I need to know?