Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting issues, cant figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Hickey
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starting issues, cant figure it out

Hey All,

Been a very long time since i've been on here, but I'm hoping someone can assist or advise!

I've got a 2008 SB, last year I had some issues with the bike starting. On occassion, when starting, it just wouldn't turn over. No clicking, nothing. It would still jump start. at the end of the season I blamed the battery and replaced it over the winter.

Last season I installed the new battery, worked great for a bit, but again, on occassion, it would die out and I couldnt start it. no clicking, battery readings/load were fine.

Everything powers on, readings still good on battery, but still would only start once in a while. I couldnt put my finger on the issue, very sporadic. Towards the end of this season, I noticed it has less issue while starting in 1st gear. When it did start in neutral, it was always a lot of clunking before it turned over.

Any thoughts or input? how can I figure out what the issue is? I'd rather not bring it to the dealership, and there aren't any reputible shops in the area.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:27 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Have you checked the battery connections themselves or maybe the fuses?

Old 12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
Have you checked the battery connections themselves or maybe the fuses?
+1
the starter relay is worth a look

Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 AM
99 dyna fxd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I installed new bars few months ago one day bike wouldn't start turn over but everything was powered up and on after tracing out some electrical areas found in the factory harness feeding the throttle side of the bars Harley makes some splices without any solder connections just heat shrink and wires simply pulled apart! This area was approx. 8-12inch down the harness from the switch area hope this helps

Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM
Hickey
Road Captain

sorry for no responses, been without internet for a while.

Checked and replaced relay, it was fine. terminals are good (checked when battery was swapped).

I was thinking it may be an electrical issue, but wouldn't that cause it to not start at all?

Thinking maybe my starter is on the way out (or already out)?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM
ebeattie
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, if your not getting clicking, thats a sign the starter solenoid isnt even engaging. If you have replaced the starter relay, you may have a problem on your switch side. looks like in your sig pic you have non stock bars, could be something in your switches.

Your 08 had the old school traditional switches that actually controlled the starter relay. If you had to mess with the switch housings or modify the length, you may have a loose connection or wire in your starter switch circuit.

Something to look into

Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by ebeattie
Well, if your not getting clicking, thats a sign the starter solenoid isnt even engaging. If you have replaced the starter relay, you may have a problem on your switch side. looks like in your sig pic you have non stock bars, could be something in your switches.

Your 08 had the old school traditional switches that actually controlled the starter relay. If you had to mess with the switch housings or modify the length, you may have a loose connection or wire in your starter switch circuit.

Something to look into
Sounds like good advice

Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 PM
TonyGinFla
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ground wire to the chassis. It screws onto a stud in the back half of the transmission right above where the swing arm pivot is. I've seen that problem cause a bike to appear to be good (lights/gauges/etc) but not start.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if your year/model has a key fob or not, but I had a starting issue that was solved by replacing the battery in the fob.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
Hickey
Road Captain

Hey all,

so I did some digging, and I found a solution, but I fear it might be a band aid fix.
I bought a push button ignition cover online, and it works great! whenever I have the issue of my bike not starting, I just reach under the battery and push and the bike starts up.

HOWEVER, its not something I want to use often.

I have yet to re-do the wiring on my bars, as mentioned above(which could potentially still be the problem) but I wanted to pass something by everyone. I've been getting an error code P0562, low voltage. with a new battery, i'm fairly sure its not the issue as ive tested it and it seems fine. I've heard stories about voltage regulator issues and that replacing it has caused the error to disappear.

Do you think the error has anything to do with my occasional starting issue? would the voltage regulator effect the starting issue in anyway? I'm sure it would, but I would think if it was dead I would have many more issues that just occasionally not being able to start the scoot.

Let me know!
This little gremlin is driving me nuts!