Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end wobbles over 80

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM
raptorroy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end wobbles over 80

So I'll just get it out of the way that yes I shouldn't be riding over 80mph, blah blah I'm not here for that. My problem is the front end tracks/wobbles/shakes...whatever you want to call it over 80. I ride a 13 fxdb, bike is stock minus ac and pipes. I have a few friends that ride dynas and no one complains of shaking or wobbling. Ideas?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Wobbles

Could be a bad front tire...cupping..wearing unevenly...etc. Lower the air pressure in the front tire about 5psi and try again. That the fix the local dealer used on mine.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:37 PM
condition1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely make sure you check tire pressure first since that's the easiest.

If that checks out and your tires and wheels look OK my next guess would be the fall away of the steering bearing. I never had any issues with wobbling but when I was disassembling my front end last winter I found that the fall away was way loose from the factory.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

Regarding tire pressure, dropping 5lbs may help if you're overinflated, but simply being underinflated can cause a number of handling issues as well.

Something is definitely off, I don't get steering shake/wobble ever, including over 100mph.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:16 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Had the same problem and chipped away at it little by little, but now it's completely gone. Other than the obvious stuff mentioned by others (tire pressure, fall away, spoke tension, etc.), I found that biggest improvement for it was upgrading the fork internals and going with Amsoil #10 Shock Therapy.

I know we have similar commutes, but in opposite directions so I think you're referring to the wobble whenever you cross a seam between lanes, hit certain bumps, or that nasty sweeper at the 5/805 split heading southbound at high speed. If so, the fork upgrade should help you. Even if you don't want to, or can't do the whole thing in one shot, just adding Ricor's Intiminators and #10 Amsoil with the stock springs will help immensely.

Some of my other upgrades are a steering stabilizer, Sputhe Positrac, T-bars instead of apes, and mags instead of spokes.

If it's a constant, steady wobble and you've checked all the obvious stuff above, try pulling your apes back a little. If your grip is out beyond the upper fork caps/stem nut, you'll feel some instability...and least I did when I had apes. That and ease up on the death grip. The tighter you squeeze, the more you transfer the effects of wind on your upper body into the front end.

BTW, I've stopped using that Indy I recommended to you a while ago...3 screw ups in a row were too much for me let go. I go to San Diego Customs now for stuff I can't do myself. They'll treat your bike like it's one of theirs and the labor rate is less than the others.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 848 Posts

That doesn't seem right to me either. I've got no problems up to and over 100mph, and I've put the "unstable" skinny 21" wheel/tire combo on the front of my Street Bob. Good luck tracking it down. Also, as a 2013, is it still under warranty?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM
rgr357
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No problems on my 14 WG, at least up to 95... very solid feels like its on a rail.

Could the wheel be out of balance?

Old 11-11-2013, 07:04 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy
That doesn't seem right to me either. I've got no problems up to and over 100mph, and I've put the "unstable" skinny 21" wheel/tire combo on the front of my Street Bob. Good luck tracking it down. Also, as a 2013, is it still under warranty?
Like I said above, had the same problem. My first stop was the dealer, who said it was fine. I insisted it wasn't, so they adjusted the fall away...it got worse. Then I started my long journey to make it right on my own.

It's not easy getting the dealer to repair something that happens when you're operating it illegally (over 80).

Old 11-11-2013, 07:18 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just did a trip from San Diego to Phoenix and experienced the wobbles myself ( I experienced it before then also). Mostly when I am over 80 and behind big trucks. Sometimes however it just depended on the wind, direction, gusts, etc..

My tire pressure was good, I checked it right before I left and I never have wobbles unless its on the highway at higher speeds.

I did most of my cross country trip at 70-75mph and it rode straight and true unless the wind was just really bad.

I dont think there is anything wrong with my bike, I think updating the suspension would help though.

Basically, you are not alone brother, and I dont think necessarily anything is "wrong" with your ride, but some upgrades may make it better.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Irish883
Road Captain

Now that I think about it, I did used to get wobble around 80mph when I was running the stock apes and before I put my fairing on. I always attributed it to the lack of wind deflection and buffeting, though. Once I put the fairing on it dropped significantly and when I finally got my tbars fitted and got the fairing moved into its proper position it hasn't happened a single time.

I'm not saying that you should write it off as normal, but geometry and wind can do crazy things.

Quick Reply: Front end wobbles over 80