Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebags or Luggage Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Saddlebags or Luggage Rack?

I thought I would get some Saddlebags for my 13 SGC.

Well, Harley prices are high and I have been looking at some other aftermarket companies and found that with also buying the detachable hardware, relocating turn signals, I could still be in the "more than I want to spend" category.

So I thought maybe I would get a rack...

Then I find I have to buy relocate the turn signals, add the side plates, possibly having to get a sissy bar,(my T-Bag is designed to go over a backrest), backrest pad, and then of course the rack.

Still a lot of money with all the stuff.

Which way did you go, Saddlebags or Rack, and why?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:32 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

both, the sissy bar is normally for strapping my backpack ( laptop) to. the saddlebags are for tools, lunch, rain gear.

if your not carrying alot of stuff you might look at the t-bag falcon. which straps to the rear seat. or find someplace to connect a small cargo net to.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Chicago Fan 33
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a fender bib,use the T-bag conneted to the sissy bar. Or ride with friends that have baggers........

Old 11-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy some leather saddlebag from Greg at Bad & G Customs.
Best made quality leather bags I've ever seen & you don't have to move or relocate anything & no hardware needed....just strap them on. Each rear bag straps to the fender strut in 2 places, and the lower arm. They are secure.

The bags I have are the "hard leather" bags they offer. There is no plastic liner, they are just really thick hard leather. Great stuff.

An example of some Bad&G stuff can be seen in my sig pic on my bike.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM
lackluster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i already had the sissy bar, but opted for a river road classic compact saddlebags.
they are throw overs. I don't use brackets to hold them away. but it did take a little work to get them to be worry free.
I cut some soft cloth and used spray 77 adhesive to stick it to the bottom go the yoke.
so it doesn't scratch the paint when i ride without the pillion, or when i attach the pillion over top of the yoke to hold it in place.
they just fit between the shocks and the turn signal, they even take a little push to get them to settle in.
as I said I don't use standoff brackets. before you think I'm crazy hear me out. i figured there must be some way to use a flexible attachment on the back side of the bags down to the swing arm. that would keep the bags from touching anything moving, and keep them under tension and securely in place. plus, when i take them off, no brackets to look at.

What i would up with:
i took some small bungies, the little metal ended ones that you usually say "What the F would i ever use this for?"
i hooked them into the plastic snap clips on the bags. You can see the rear clip in this photo...
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FaZcMgodnksAvQ
rear ones fold down behind the bag, and the bungie attaches around the swing arm and the axle nut.
The front ones get a bungie that runs behind the shocks and attach just in front of the lower shock mount.
there isn much room, but they work fine and keep them in place.
The bottom of the right hand bag bumps against the brake bleeder nut cover, and the bag has a small dimple in it form that, no wear on the hard parts when i take them off.

The left side rear bungie hook/did rub against the belt guard (about the 2 o'clock position) till i moved the bungie a little and used some electrical tape to dress the metal hook.

Now i have a pair of saddlebags that fit the shock exactly, are on-off with little effort and leave no trace behind when removed. and they have held up to a summers worth of riding with no signs of damage to the plastic clips...
They are not large bags, but they will hold a half helmet, a bottle of water and other day-ride stuff. go big if you plan to do any real touring.

Last edited by lackluster; 11-11-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:16 PM
DYJ
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T bag with a detachable sissy bar with rack.

I did this cause unless I am traveling I don't need bags andI like the minimalist look of a stripped down dyna.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM
flyboyron
Road Warrior
Received 262 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by DYJ
T bag with a detachable sissy bar with rack.

I did this cause unless I am traveling I don't need bags andI like the minimalist look of a stripped down dyna.
I have my T-Bag that I used on my Softail Custom. It fit perfect on the passenger seat and strapped to the mini sissy bar.

I thought a setup like that might be cheaper than saddlebags but now I am not so sure.

I like the stripped down look of the Super Glide so I thought a rack and my T-bag would work fine when I need to carry things.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Perhaps the newer bikes has to have the turn signals relocated. To the life of me I can't figure out why.
They also have a rigid mount for a Luggage rack and Backrest.
I prefer the rigid mount, it looks cleaner. No side plates sticking out.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:41 PM
druski
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm looking at the same...planning on adding the quick detach sissy bar with luggage rack so I can make it easier to commute daily on my bike. I agree the HD prices are quite high, but I have seen some good prices on ebay.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:00 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi,

I got a duffle bag and put piece of marine ply in bottom, made four soft straps like in harley catalog to loop around each turn signal and the fender strut near the shock mount

Then use bungee over bag, easy as, or now i made some d-ring 50mm straps that hold everything down

You fit a tonne of stuff in it and have even had another back pack strapped on top too, you be surprised the stuff you take which you dont even need, wear use

Thanks
Mirrmu

Quick Reply: Saddlebags or Luggage Rack?