Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Macker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice

Plan to retire next year and I'm thinking about buying a Dyna in the spring. I have it narrowed down to either a Super Glide Custom or a Street Bob. I was considering going to a Sportster 1200 Custom but eliminated that. I've even thought about a triumph Bonneville (my son has one, fun ride) or the new Honda CB 1100. Looking for a change, something lighter more responsive.

I'll be doing most riding on short hops, day rides out in the country on twistys, sweepers, area has lots of rolling hills, etc. I like to push the limits, safely of course but will also be riding with family and friends in and around the city sometimes. I like the looks of the SB just never had mini apes, so not sure. Wife doesn't ride so I'd probably put a solo seat on the SG if I go that way.

Price about the same and mechanically the bikes seem very much the same, so is it just about looks? I guess my main questions would be about handling and ride. Are there any major differences in those areas.

First Harley purchase was a RK and currently have the bike in the sig which I'll be keeping. Really like both of the Dynas and will be test riding before buying but any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Macker; 11-02-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Garyk
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride them both and then make a choice.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:40 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

superglide for the "bling" look, street bob for the blacked out look. But from your describing check into the fat bob

Old 11-02-2013, 05:31 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
superglide for the "bling" look, street bob for the blacked out look. But from your describing check into the fat bob
What he said

Old 11-02-2013, 05:34 PM
OneGearhead
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
I agree 110%. I love mine. Handle's better than what I would have ever thought. I would put it against my sportbike that I sold in the turns. For a 700lb motorcycle it is EXTREMELY nimble! I test rode the SB before I got my Fat Bob and the Fat Bob feels more planted. The skinny front tire on the SB makes it dart around on the road. If you hadn't said the part about going through twisties and sweepers, I'd say go for the SB for just an around town short trip bike, but with the handling aspect coming into play...Fat Bob.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Macker
Tourer

Thanks for the input. Hadn't thought about the Fat Bob, guess I thought it wouldn't handle as well. Plus, it's over 2k more which is a factor.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 AM
Infinite_Day
Cruiser

Probably get smacked for saying it - but everybody knows that the Honda CB is going to be the best handling bike out of everything you listed. If you want responsive with good braking and power, the CB is going to be the best of that bunch. That being said, I'd still buy the Fat Bob.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 AM
kmontague
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have had a street bob and now have a fat bob. love the fat bob more.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Irish883
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bars can be changed easily, black to chrome, or chrome to black, can't. Which do you like more since the only real differences are the bars, the SGC being 2 up ready from the factory, and the chrome/black.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 PM
zombiefrog
Intermediate

I second the fat bob, I came from sports bikes and decided I wanted something a little different. You would be surprised how nimble the fat bob is, corners quite well in fact. A colleague has a 48 and I was grinding the hell out of the pegs, not so on the bob. You will enjoy it, but do test it first.

Quick Reply: Buying advice