Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just a cpl questions about 98 superglide

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013 | 01:38 AM
dunhi
|
1st Gear
Default just a cpl questions about 98 superglide

Ok hey people. I'm far fram mechanicaly inclined but can learn most things I try to learn so excuse the dumb questions...and if they have been asked a ton excuse me re-asking.
Well my new ride is a 98 superglide. Great shape and only 12k miles. I'm not new to ridding but in my younger years it was a honda then a sporty and to be honest I showes neither any respect....I waited a good while to get a bike again (had ro wait for some time to pass) and now I want to treat my girl with the respect she deserves. Went with an evo cause anyone I know that I respect said its a much easier engine to learn about with... well anyway my cpl questions.
Wheels and ride
Now I want to drop the bike some and I just want to make sure I have this rt... if I drop her *** 2" then to maintain the same stance I would get a 2 under front end? Is that correct or am I missing something with the geometry cause of the rake or something else. I ask about that cause I want to get a springer front end. So if I order one (I know don't go cheap, I don't plan to) I just want to make sure I'm getting it rt.

Next question and probably as dumb is the wheels. Now 98 I BELIEVE I can fit up to a 150 with no mods at all....is that correct? Now if so I would really like to go with 16's front and back with coker/firestone 5.00-16's. Are there any fit issues there? If I can't go this route can soneone just tell me the max abd minimum sizes I can run on this bike.
Again I know questions may seem dumb to some but I really do appreciate any help here. Plan is to purchase parts over the winter and install before summer....well this year is gonna be cosnetics and next year will be motor. Thanks again for any help.
Dunhill225

Old 10-29-2013 | 03:49 PM
dunhi
|
1st Gear

Just bumping this once to see if anyone can help. Thank you

Old 10-29-2013 | 06:56 PM
Kushman
Tourer

IF you want to maintain the current handling and style you would use the same sizes in the front and back. You can go up or down but it will change the way your bike handles her is a link to RB they have a good rake and trail calculator you can play with, it also helps to look at some bike that are =/- to see what it will look like. You will have a different feel to the springier and they are named properly you will see once your cruising above 80 and be sure to search the type you plan to use as some are a real POS and handle like crap.
Not sure about the tire thing but you might want to also post to the EVO section their might be some help there for you as well.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html
Cheers

Old 10-29-2013 | 09:14 PM
dunhi
|
1st Gear

Thank you man. I've ridden springers before but it was a harley springer softail and not an after market springer. I gotta look into it more cause I'm thinking tire ht is what matters. Like that an 18" rim with a lower profile tire would have the same stance as a 16" with a taller tire (if that makes sense ) I'm gonna check that link man... if anyone has any experience to add I'd appreciate it also.
Thanks

Old 10-29-2013 | 10:23 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member

I have a 97 WG...and I believe you can run a 140 with no mods. I previously ran a 150, but had to use a 1 1/8" belt (which I still have).

With some other mods, I am now running a 18" x 5.5" wheel, 180 tire, 20mm belt, narrower pulley and a softail fender. The fender horns were cut and re-welded wider.

Old 11-01-2013 | 04:15 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

140 rear tire will require shimming the rear pulley, no biggie. I did a 150 last winter, you must go to a 1-1/8" belt which means changing the pulley on the wheel. My dealership found me a conversion kit that HD made in the early 2000's for just this conversion. The kit is the narrower belt and a narrow pulley with the right offset and bolt pattern for 1999 and older wheels. BUT you will need to pull the inner and outer primary off to change the belt. Good time to chrome the inner, good luck.

Old 11-09-2013 | 11:32 PM
dunhi
|
1st Gear

So the cokers are 5 inch so that's like 127's rt? That should be no problem with the rt rim. For some reason I was thinking 5 inch was around a 150 but my conversion was way off. Is there any issues at all running a 16 inch uo front with the 5-16 cokers?
Thanks for your patience people.
Steve

Old 11-09-2013 | 11:35 PM
dunhi
|
1st Gear

Last part of the questikn is I keep seeing fatboy rims cheap and they aee 130's or 149's front and back. Is there a fit problem with them on a dyna? Curious cause I could oick up a set with low milage tires dirt cheap from someone I know but they know less than me and cant say if they would work.

Again I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Steve